Suggestion Box

TheGoalNet

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

That's a default tab...

What is SSL?

Secure Socket Layer, basically is a standard to establish an encrypted link between a server and a browser (pretty much pulled from SSL.com).  It's the difference between a website using http and https.  Prevents things like a man in the middle attack on data, where someone can intercept and modify data being sent between the server and the browser.  You get an SSL certificate that gets authenticated and has to be renewed every so often.

10 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Secure Socket Layer, basically is a standard to establish an encrypted link between a server and a browser (pretty much pulled from SSL.com).  It's the difference between a website using http and https.  Prevents things like a man in the middle attack on data, where someone can intercept and modify data being sent between the server and the browser.  You get an SSL certificate that gets authenticated and has to be renewed every so often.

Oh, thanks!

I noticed we don't have the lock and am not sure how to get one. Do I ask GoDaddy or the forum cloud software?

59 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

That's a default tab...

What is SSL?

SSL/TLS is basically a security protocol to ensure an encrypted connection between a webserver (in this case, TheGoalNet.com) and a user's browser (you or me).

Lots of websites have SSL/TLS enabled, like nearly every financial institution and online shopping websites - that's the green padlock icon you see when you go to Amazon.com, GoalieMonkey.com, or BankofAmerica.com and the S in HTTPS:// that you'd see in the address bar.

Without encryption, our connections to and from the server are transmitted in plain text, which could potentially be seen, read, or copied by bad guys. That includes things like usernames, passwords, credit card numbers, CC expiration dates, etc.

Here are some articles that go more in-depth than I am able to.

Forbes - Why An SSL Certificate Is Important For Your Company Website

Wired - Hacker Lexicon: What Is HTTPS?

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Oh, thanks!

I noticed we don't have the lock and am not sure how to get one. Do I ask GoDaddy or the forum cloud software?

I think it would be Go Daddy.  Some of the companies we work with have SSL certs that are from Go Daddy

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Oh, thanks!

You'd need to get the cert from godaddy (or somewhere else - I refuse to use godaddy, personally) and youd need to have the IPS folks help you install it.

You don't actually need it unless you're taking credit card numbers, which you aren't (and likely wont be - if you have a store on the site then it will be encrypted by the payment processor integration, most likely). If you need help, let me know. 

8 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

You'd need to get the cert from godaddy (or somewhere else - I refuse to use godaddy, personally) and youd need to have the IPS folks help you install it.

You don't actually need it unless you're taking credit card numbers, which you aren't (and likely wont be - if you have a store on the site then it will be encrypted by the payment processor integration, most likely). If you need help, let me know. 

Sounds like the 3rd party add people can fix this for me

Will know in a day or two after the new ads are in place. The goal is to maintain the website break even status vs hosting costs and have less ads

I don't want to discourage anyone from coming here. But I would like this to be a private forum where you can only read if you are signed up and a member.

People have come up to me in my store and asked if I am ULTIMA. And when I asked who they were, they say that they're not on here. A bit more on privacy I guess.

8 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

I don't want to discourage anyone from coming here. But I would like this to be a private forum where you can only read if you are signed up and a member.

People have come up to me in my store and asked if I am ULTIMA. And when I asked who they were, they say that they're not on here. A bit more on privacy I guess.

That's interesting and some serious connecting the dots on that person's part.

I was on an unrelated forum years ago and this was requested for specific threads, like the daily personal chit-chat thread and a couple of other admin stuff.  It was possible for those threads on that forum back in the day. 

I imagine one issue of that is ad revenue, as having privacy would reduce the number of eyeballs on ads.

I'm having a very small issue on my Chromebook. Whenever I press "102860539_Screenshot2019-01-23at9_04_54AM.png.79708061799ef7e9d435283f096b29c4.png", I have this in the top right corner:

2097979211_Screenshot2019-01-23at9_07_46AM.png.eb43f0fb9f5a4d796537e31b918af77f.png

The funny thing is, once I click on a thread or sub-forum, the site says that I'm logged in. Anyway to fix this? It doesn't affect function it's just a little annoying.

41 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm having a very small issue on my Chromebook. Whenever I press "102860539_Screenshot2019-01-23at9_04_54AM.png.79708061799ef7e9d435283f096b29c4.png", I have this in the top right corner:

2097979211_Screenshot2019-01-23at9_07_46AM.png.eb43f0fb9f5a4d796537e31b918af77f.png

The funny thing is, once I click on a thread or sub-forum, the site says that I'm logged in. Anyway to fix this? It doesn't affect function it's just a little annoying.

im legit in the exact situation you are

14 minutes ago, Max27 said:

yeah loosk like it

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

@Max27, the problem appears to be fixed.

I believe I made this morning on the live log.

There might be some quirks over the next week as we update how we host the website. The goal is to reduce the ads while maintaining some revenue to cover hosting costs.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:13 AM, Aquilzz said:

Does anyone else thing there are just too many sub-forums to keep up with? It just seems messy and inefficient to me. If I don't check this page after a few days and can't go by latest, I have to click on a hundred different things to make sure I haven't missed and important leaks/news/sick gear. 

I just think the layout of this forum in the earlier days was MUCH better. At least for me.

Just hit the unread content link.  All new posts since the last time you were visited all in one spot.  No need to go around looking for anything in individual sub forums.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:37 PM, Max27 said:

@TheGoalNet I personally dont mind the ads, i get you gotta make money somehow but ads will be like like dead center of my feed and its annoying

ill take a pic and post it 

Screenshot 2019-01-23 at 3.57.52 PM.png

Specifically, when was the last time that happened? I got an email about 2 hours ago that everything was dialed and I personally have not had an issue since then

34 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Just hit the unread content link.  All new posts since the last time you were visited all in one spot.  No need to go around looking for anything in individual sub forums.

I love the home screen like @Max27 - Much easier for anyone who mostly relies on Mobile

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Definitely, and that's what I have bookmarked. Trying to find stuff from the main forum page is next to impossible. 

I'm so over ads.  I think they're archaic.

I don't question the need for website owners to run them, that makes perfect sense as a source of income.  I do question the desire for companies to create them.  Who clicks on ads and buys things, really?

I'm currently seeing an ad for women's jewelry on here (which is weird and utterly irrelevant to me) and a credit card ad, which is slightly more relevant but still useless. 

I never could understand the psychological angle behind running ads.  I guess I'm just not susceptible to them other than hockey goalie gear branding.

I feel like if we need things, we search and buy.  We don't buy because a random ad tells us that a thing is available and we need it.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Specifically, when was the last time that happened? I got an email about 2 hours ago that everything was dialed and I personally have not had an issue since then

i think last time that happened was when i posted that pic up lol. happens spastically

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I love the home screen like @Max27 - Much easier for anyone who mostly relies on Mobile

yeah i like that layup, easy for PC too 

50 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I'm so over ads.  I think they're archaic.

I don't question the need for website owners to run them, that makes perfect sense as a source of income.  I do question the desire for companies to create them.  Who clicks on ads and buys things, really?

I'm currently seeing an ad for women's jewelry on here (which is weird and utterly irrelevant to me) and a credit card ad, which is slightly more relevant but still useless. 

I never could understand the psychological angle behind running ads.  I guess I'm just not susceptible to them other than hockey goalie gear branding.

I feel like if we need things, we search and buy.  We don't buy because a random ad tells us that a thing is available and we need it.

I am getting Nike Shoes and Marriott hotels. Mine seems to be working pretty good! haha

But year, my goal is that this website costs no money to maintain and earns a few bucks as a the cloud costs increase. Eventually we will need more space. 

Archived