What car do you use to haul your gear to games?

1C5

6 hours ago, johncho said:

I love the look of the Tacoma and how it drives .I've borrowed one in the past from my friend as well as having driven all kinds of trucks from all years. I didn't mind the newer Ranger (2019 I think? It was awhile ago) the 4 cylinder Turbo actually had decent power for its size, but if you're anti-Ford (I'm not a big fan either) then that's a non-starter.

I'm not a truck guy and the capabilities of both trucks are way beyond what I'll ever need realistically 95% of the time, but if I were to get one, I would go for the Tacoma. I would say that I would go for an older model, but the new creature comforts are really nice on the new cars/trucks in general. 

I am not a truck guy either, this would be my first truck.  I have always preferred smaller cars which is why I want one of these small/mid-size trucks.  I haven't test driven anything yet but it doesn't look to be much bigger than our Santa Fe XL.  Thanks for your input.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 5:16 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

They're still building the rangers in only 4 bangers? That's disappointing. 

I figured with the relaunch they'd at least put some guts into the things. 

They do offer bigger engines in them. They call them F-150s.

I'd think that there had to a line between the Ranger options end and the F-150 starts.

6 minutes ago, MTH said:

They do offer bigger engines in them. They call them F-150s.

I'd think that there had to a line between the Ranger options end and the F-150 starts.

The Ranger is a smaller body truck though.  That is what we're getting at.  It is in the same size class as the Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, etc.  Most of those all have at least a 6 cylinder motor.  The Ranger has a boosted 4 cylinder.

On 1/29/2021 at 3:30 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I am not a truck guy either, this would be my first truck.  I have always preferred smaller cars which is why I want one of these small/mid-size trucks.  I haven't test driven anything yet but it doesn't look to be much bigger than our Santa Fe XL.  Thanks for your input.

Hey - no kidding! That’s what I have (2017). They replaced it with the Palisade, which is pretty sweet (accidentally opened one of the dealer “trade in your current vehicle which is worth more than what you owe for a 2021!” Emails)... but there really isn’t anything that I don’t like about my Santa Fe. Super easy to throw in the gear!

15 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Hey - no kidding! That’s what I have (2017). They replaced it with the Palisade, which is pretty sweet (accidentally opened one of the dealer “trade in your current vehicle which is worth more than what you owe for a 2021!” Emails)... but there really isn’t anything that I don’t like about my Santa Fe. Super easy to throw in the gear!

The day we leased the SFXL the dealership had their first Palisade dropped off.  It is really nice.  Really nice.  It was a bit too nice for our wallets though lol.  We got lucky we ended up with the last 19' SFXL on the lot, it was in the showroom.  Fully loaded, I think the only option it didn't have was the heads up display.  Since it was the last '19 and they were trying to make room for the '20s we got it at a blowout price.  She is probably going to keep it after the lease is up next summer.

On 2/23/2021 at 11:13 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

The Ranger is a smaller body truck though.  That is what we're getting at.  It is in the same size class as the Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, etc.  Most of those all have at least a 6 cylinder motor.  The Ranger has a boosted 4 cylinder.

The ranger body is "sleeker", but at 211" long, the F-150 could be shorter in the 209" configuration. Width, I think they come in at the same (less the Raptor). Price? $24k for the Ranger with the F-150 at $26k.

It's not the Ranger of old anymore.

Should You Buy a Ford F-150 or Ranger? | autoTRADER.ca

The Ranger being sleeker looks smaller, but is it? The F-150 is taller with a taller grill for sure.

I'm Not Sure We Need a Ford Ranger Raptor

The scale of the new vs the old is apparent. IT's what the market wants for sure.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:09 PM, MTH said:

The ranger body is "sleeker", but at 211" long, the F-150 could be shorter in the 209" configuration. Width, I think they come in at the same (less the Raptor). Price? $24k for the Ranger with the F-150 at $26k.

The Ranger being sleeker looks smaller, but is it? The F-150 is taller with a taller grill for sure.

The scale of the new vs the old is apparent. IT's what the market wants for sure.

It's the way a lot of trucks are going.

This is the comparing the first gen Tundras to the second gen Tacomas.

upload_2017-8-8_11-2-35.jpg.06fb09e2358e142ef5b4e0597180f05a.jpg

19 hours ago, MTH said:

And to make things even more confusing, they're coming out with a smaller truck: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35034259/2022-ford-maverick-future/

Seriously though, it's getting depressing. Another 3-5 years and the only options for new cars are gonna be econo-box SUVs/crossovers and trucks. 

Gas in NJ is getting near $3/gallon. Don't forget that back in the 2008 ish, when gas was upper 3/ lower $4 (I know CA and Canada are more) that trucks were going away fast. Hummer brand died. The Jeep Commander flopped... it was sad.

Look how many decent newer trucks were turned in at the cash for clunker thing under Obama. 

Remembering "Cash for Clunkers" | The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide® The  Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®

I think Ford making a Maverick / Transit truck is smart. Delivery fleets need them. The bloated mid-size trucks will suffer the most as the full size ones will always have a commercial market.

I hope gas prices are just increasing due to the situation in Texas... but you never know. 

Those Broncos are worth some real money now. Along with all the square body trucks from that era.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 2:34 PM, MTH said:

I hope gas prices are just increasing due to the situation in Texas... but you never know.

Choose one:

- (insert name) Production facility closed for Maintenance
- Pipeline Project Cancellation
- Many facilities closed due to Covid
- Artificial inflation to re-coup losses in 2020
- Increase demand not being met through production channels (driven by covid vaccination)
- Texas getting bent over
- Etc.

• Like 1

I still don't think there's a savings for an electric car vs gas powered. Teslas are way cool and a luxury brand (see Hummer), so the electric part is just part of the novelty for sure. But I live in the Philly area, there are good number of Teslas around. But not really that many other electric rides as of yet.

My Jeeps stink on mpg, but I enjoy driving them all year. I always feel bad for those that always have to justify whatever they're driving. Like 'yeah its a -whatever car-, but it was a good deal and gets good mileage'.

I'm with @SaveByRichter35 on the truck love. I want a compact as well since I'm not working heavy duty stuff or hauling campers and houses. The Tacoma is a dream but high priced, even used. The Frontier is cool looking as in traditional rugged pick-up style. The Z71 is a sexy sleek beast. I wouldn't mind the Ford Explorer Sport either. The Jeep pick-up model is pretty hot.

On the other hand, I've been getting a rise from the Mitsubishi RVR. Don't know why but I like the geometry, nice small SUV. Anyone driving one? Does your gear fit well in the back?

14 hours ago, MTH said:

I still don't think there's a savings for an electric car vs gas powered. Teslas are way cool and a luxury brand (see Hummer), so the electric part is just part of the novelty for sure. But I live in the Philly area, there are good number of Teslas around. But not really that many other electric rides as of yet.

My Jeeps stink on mpg, but I enjoy driving them all year. I always feel bad for those that always have to justify whatever they're driving. Like 'yeah its a -whatever car-, but it was a good deal and gets good mileage'.

I drive a Leaf, and it's been honestly amazing. It's a fun spirited drive.

I can tell you that there are real savings to be had. We are saving about ~200$+ a month in gas, or back of the envelope math is every 10km is a dollar saved, and on top of that are the savings due to fewer and less expensive maintenances (no coolant, timing belts, exhaust, half the wear on brakes, etc). 

Also, Jeeps are coming out with a Wrangler - 4Xe PHEV with enough range that would cover my daily commute, which is very tempting.

32 minutes ago, johncho said:

I can tell you that there are real savings to be had. We are saving about ~200$+ a month in gas, or back of the envelope math is every 10km is a dollar saved, and on top of that are the savings due to fewer and less expensive maintenances (no coolant, timing belts, exhaust, half the wear on brakes, etc). 

Also, Jeeps are coming out with a Wrangler - 4Xe PHEV with enough range that would cover my daily commute, which is very tempting.

The Leaf is cool. "Spirited ride"? My 95 Wrangler is a spirited ride. That thing has been paid off for decades and costs me $300 a year to insure.

I was shopping the Hyundai Sonos EV. But the price was more than I thought for a tiny car.

Jeep EV will cost an arm and leg. Can't see it having much of range. There was an electric Jeep in the 70s.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DqcvEExs0Pw/S55Rs4jjhuI/AAAAAAAABbQ/c-cEgHkRFTU/s280/electruck.jpg

Lead acid batteries (it was the 70s) equated to a 40 mile range at 40 mph.

3 hours ago, johncho said:

Yea but how much more per month do you pay in electric to charge it?  I'm a total tree hugger, I'd definitely get an electric if I could afford and if it was logical for our lifestyle right now.  Most electrics are smaller cars and as my kids are growing my wife and I are moving to larger vehicles to keep up with all the crap that we(she) feels a need to haul around for them lol.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea but how much more per month do you pay in electric to charge it?  I'm a total tree hugger, I'd definitely get an electric if I could afford and if it was logical for our lifestyle right now.  Most electrics are smaller cars and as my kids are growing my wife and I are moving to larger vehicles to keep up with all the crap that we(she) feels a need to haul around for them lol.

The extra electricity to charge is pretty negligible, less than 30$ a month when we drive a lot and don't optimize (the rate is for Ottawa, Canada), some folks who like to save even more have apps that activate charging only during off-peak, and only to 80% and all that. 

Full disclosure, we _are_ a two car family, and we do use our SUV for longer trips that require us to haul baggages and suitcases, and of course if you already have a car that has been paid off for decades and older for insurance purposes, it'll be a lot cheaper, and probably better for the environment as you're not putting a car into the ground and manufacturing another. So YMMV (literally), for our use case we use our Subaru for 5% of the drives, sometimes we even have to force the drive so that it's not just sitting there.

I've driven all kinds of cars from Ferraris to 60s muscle, I've even owned a modded ZJ Jeep in the 90s (it was a different type of fun, Top 5 by far). But yeah electric cars' instant torque response makes for a spirited drive. I will admit though that I like odd cars, like the Jensen Interceptors, Citroen DS, etc.

Edited by johncho

1 hour ago, johncho said:

The extra electricity to charge is pretty negligible, less than 30$ a month when we drive a lot and don't optimize (the rate is for Ottawa, Canada), some folks who like to save even more have apps that activate charging only during off-peak, and only to 80% and all that. 

Full disclosure, we _are_ a two car family, and we do use our SUV for longer trips that require us to haul baggages and suitcases, and of course if you already have a car that has been paid off for decades and older for insurance purposes, it'll be a lot cheaper, and probably better for the environment as you're not putting a car into the ground and manufacturing another. So YMMV (literally), for our use case we use our Subaru for 5% of the drives, sometimes we even have to force the drive so that it's not just sitting there.

I've driven all kinds of cars from Ferraris to 60s muscle, I've even owned a modded ZJ Jeep in the 90s (it was a different type of fun, Top 5 by far). But yeah electric cars' instant torque response makes for a spirited drive. I will admit though that I like odd cars, like the Jensen Interceptors, Citroen DS, etc.

21 hours ago, MTH said:

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Honestly, I hate to be one of those guys as my initial comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but I LOVE this car:

I drive a lot for work.  Anywhere from 600-800mi/week.

I got my Tesla in April 2020, it's already at 24k miles

My electric bill has gone maybe $100-150/mo.  I'm always topped off after an overnight charge

On the flip side, gas here in SoCal is around $4.00/gal - I'd be paying around $50-60 to top off each time, and would probably need to pump twice/week.  Figure a sedan with a 15 gallon tank gets 35 mi/gal = 525 mi to empty

My company gives me a vehicle allowance plus mileage reimbursement. 

Even after factoring in my monthly payment, insurance, and charging costs, I am still making a couple hundred bucks a month off driving this thing around.

I'm not saying it's the perfect car for everyone, but it's a stellar fucking car for me, working as an outside sales rep:

• The trunk fits my gear bag easy, pads and sticks have to go in the backseat though (with two childseats installed). 
  • There's additional storage space under the trunk or under the front hood for PPE when I need to visit a construction site
  • Autopilot on freeways allows me to run conference/customer calls during an hour+ long commute each way.  Autopilot keeps you in your current lane at the speed you set, or it will match the speed of the car in front of you - it's like a smarter cruise control
  • Nav, GPS, places of interest and rerouting is all built in
  • I can park for some lunch, stream an episode of New Girl (currently on my 4th run through, Schmidt is my spirit animal) or whatever else I'm watching on Netflix for 30 mins and then move on to my next sales call
  • Spotify streaming is built in, so I can listen to whatever I (or my kids) want - my son is hot on the Transformers 1986 movie soundtrack right now, my daughter is hooked on the music from Mulan - I'll never have to buy another CD ever again
  • DashCam/security is all built in, just plug in and format a USB hard drive.
  • No more driving to the dealership for service and having them try to sell me weird shit.  I only have to rotate my tires every 5k miles, and they come to my house to do it for $40.

I've forgotten to charge overnight once, and was able to stop by a charging station and get enough juice for the day with a 10 minute charge
Another time I drove over a single charge capacity (280+ mi), topped off in 30 mins while watching some Netflix in the car while enjoying some barbecue from a nearby restaurant

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RichMan said:

On the other hand, I've been getting a rise from the Mitsubishi RVR. Don't know why but I like the geometry, nice small SUV. Anyone driving one? Does your gear fit well in the back?

My MIL has the RVR from the previous gen, she got a really good deal because of it. I like the looks of it too.

It's fairly basic, but exactly what she needs as a grocery getter that's high enough so that she sits comfortably, and can get in and out without too much trouble. The fuel consumption seemed a bit high for a new car of that size, but they probably fixed that in the new gen. She likes it, but she doesn't drive it that often, most of the time she's a passenger on my FiL's HUGE Palisade.

The trunk was def big enough for a player's bag, you might need to drop the seats for anything bigger. Also sticks would poke through the centre, but you have to do that with most cars anyway.

Edited by johncho

2 hours ago, johncho said:

My MIL has the RVR from the previous gen, she got a really good deal because of it. I like the looks of it too.

It's fairly basic, but exactly what she needs as a grocery getter that's high enough so that she sits comfortably, and can get in and out without too much trouble. The fuel consumption seemed a bit high for a new car of that size, but they probably fixed that in the new gen. She likes it, but she doesn't drive it that often, most of the time she's a passenger on my FiL's HUGE Palisade.

The trunk was def big enough for a player's bag, you might need to drop the seats for anything bigger. Also sticks would poke through the centre, but you have to do that with most cars anyway.

Yeah, sticks do that to most vehicles. As for the getting in and out comfortably, with my 6'2 frame, I hate having to crouch down into a seat, trying to get my long legs under the wheel without jamming myself, so annoying.

Just now, RichMan said:

Yeah, sticks do that to most vehicles. As for the getting in and out comfortably, with my 6'2 frame, I hate having to crouch down into a seat, trying to get my long legs under the wheel without jamming myself, so annoying.

Hmm, you might have to try the car out then, I'm 6' and my sight lines were on the upper side. Again this was previous gen, so things might have changed a bit. She also has the basic drivers seat controls, I think the one higher has an option to lower the seat a bit and tilt to allow better seating for tall people.