What car do you use to haul your gear to games?

1C5

On 9/7/2021 at 11:38 AM, goalie381 said:

I've an '08 now that just rolled 100,000 miles, I love it. I keep window shopping newer ones but can't justify the cost with minimal benefits. If they ever did a hybrid I'd be all over it, the current MPG is terrible.

Thankfully my wife only drives an hour and a half each way to work.

Window shopping would be nice if there were any windows to look at. Every dealership's supply has dried up with the chip shortage forcing Toyota (like all manufacturers) to cut their production. One dealer told me that they were so desperate for new cars that they have someone at the port looking for cars that unload so they could grab them for customers. Odds are 100% BS, but whatever.

This is what my wife wants:

XPEL Houston | Blog | 2021 Lunar Rock Toyota 4Runner Gets Protected

Pretty rad ride. They will tell her they have one and then bring out a red one with chrome everything. Then get short when I say it's not what she wants. 

She's concerned with the color? 

Uh, yeah. Why I'm buying a new car. When will dealerships finally go away?

Edited by MTH

7 minutes ago, MTH said:

Window shopping would be nice if there were any windows to look at. Every dealership's supply has dried up with the chip shortage forcing Toyota (like all manufacturers) to cut their production. One dealer told me that they were so desperate for new cars that they have someone at the port looking for cars that unload so they could grab them for customers. Odds are 100% BS, but whatever.

Pretty rad ride. They will tell her they have one and then bring out a red one with chrome everything. Then get short when I say it's not what she wants. 

Expensive taste with the TRD Pro package there.

Not really. The color only comes in the models that are like $40k plus. The TRD Pro isn't that much more. They have a base model off road edition that MSRP at $39 plus fees. But the dealers are marking these up now with the 'shortage'. So I build it online and it has a $48k MSRP and I hope to get it near that.

I drive a bunch of Wranglers. These 4Runners are way nicer and all are actually cheaper than the Wrangler now. I know the 4Runner is a dinosaur of a model, but they are nicer than I thought for sure.

13 minutes ago, MTH said:

Not really. The color only comes in the models that are like $40k plus. The TRD Pro isn't that much more. They have a base model off road edition that MSRP at $39 plus fees. But the dealers are marking these up now with the 'shortage'. So I build it online and it has a $48k MSRP and I hope to get it near that.

I drive a bunch of Wranglers. These 4Runners are way nicer and all are actually cheaper than the Wrangler now. I know the 4Runner is a dinosaur of a model, but they are nicer than I thought for sure.

I think I'm just a cheap bugger.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:53 AM, MTH said:

Just spoke with a sales rep here who's looking for the same identical vehicle.

He mentioned that a few places in NJ had these on the lot. May be worth calling there to see.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 9:56 PM, MTH said:

I know that place....

I can't afford to go there. But I frequent the place across the street buying more parts for my fleet of crappy jeeps.

Someday.... someday.

I did see an actual new Bronco (not the lame Bronco Sport) in the wild at Ace today. $41k sticker. 

This is King O'Rourke in Smithtown, NY.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

That's worth a pretty penny these days. Timeless lines, gorgeous car. 

It's insane how these things became as expensive as they did in such a short amount of time. When I started looking at them years ago, it was possible to get a showroom condition car for about $25,000. These days everyone wants $35-40k for their not so nice examples. It's obscene! 

Silver without a sunroof was my spec of choice when I first saw one and purely out of luck was I able to find one, as they don't really exist.

I took it apart 5 days after I got it :)))

94SSM1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a guy the other day at Home Depot with a Nissan pickup. The short one, 4 doors and a 2 foot bed. Like this one:Biggest Quad that'll fit in a CC bed? | Nissan Frontier Forum

The guy was loading a ton of lumber in it. Not just 8' 2x4s - no, he had 12' ones. Plywood, etc.

He had this 6 foot long hitch thing that was like a long arm that held up stuff in his bed. It was amazingly asinine. Give the dude credit, it looked like it wasn't his first time doing it either.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MTH said:

I saw a guy the other day at Home Depot with a Nissan pickup. The short one, 4 doors and a 2 foot bed. Like this one:Biggest Quad that'll fit in a CC bed? | Nissan Frontier Forum

The guy was loading a ton of lumber in it. Not just 8' 2x4s - no, he had 12' ones. Plywood, etc.

He had this 6 foot long hitch thing that was like a long arm that held up stuff in his bed. It was amazingly asinine. Give the dude credit, it looked like it wasn't his first time doing it either.

I would love to own one of those beauty :) 

3 hours ago, MTH said:

I'll never understand the desire for short boxes. I understand if you're getting a truck that will see significant trail/offroad time and need that extra foot of clearance, but a proper sized (6'+) box pays for itself almost immediately once you close the tailgate completely.

Guys will go out of their way to make a short box work solely due to aesthetics.

8 hours ago, MTH said:

I had a 2006 with this box, it was the only length available at the time. It worked well enough for most things, with a cap on the back you could carry quite a bit. The long box looks better in my opinion.

Loved the 6 speed manual it had, but the fuel economy wasn't much better than the 3/4 ton Chev we bought after it with a 6L V8, and the turning radius on these things is brutal. Towing a 24' trailer with that short wheelbase was...interesting.

On 10/25/2021 at 3:25 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

I'll never understand the desire for short boxes. I understand if you're getting a truck that will see significant trail/offroad time and need that extra foot of clearance, but a proper sized (6'+) box pays for itself almost immediately once you close the tailgate completely.

Guys will go out of their way to make a short box work solely due to aesthetics.

Because not everyone needs a long box.  Granted I have only had my truck for a few months but the only time I had anything in the bed that wouldn't fit with the tailgate closed wouldn't have fit inside of a 6' bed either.

On 10/25/2021 at 3:25 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

If you hang around Lowe's or HD, you see some creativity.

I'm fortunate to own a F150 with a 8' bed. I don't use it much but for hauling stuff. It's a work truck, so it's used like a tool from the toolbox. But if I DD it - I'd get a shorter bed version for sure.