What car do you use to haul your gear to games?

1C5

47 minutes ago, MTH said:

If you hang around Lowe's or HD, you see some creativity.

I'm fortunate to own a F150 with a 8' bed. I don't use it much but for hauling stuff. It's a work truck, so it's used like a tool from the toolbox. But if I DD it - I'd get a shorter bed version for sure.

8' box for a daily driver is very long. Especially if there's any crew/access cab to it.

It's a 1995, so it's a work truck standard cab and 8' of glorious bed behind it. Blue interior is the bee's knees.

Rust is everywhere. One of the shock/spring towers rotted out and the spring and shock are loose. One of these years I replace it, until then, drive carefully.

• 4 months later...

I just recently sold my Audi S4 due to not being able to justify spending more on gas in a month than one of my mortgage payments. Gas prices are crazy. I was paying $7.37 (CAD) per gallon.

Listed the car on a Saturday, sold it the next day at 6 pm, bought a Mazda 3 hatchback at 7. Instantly started to save upwards of $300 a month in gas, the Passau bag actually fits in the back nicely, insurance is cheaper, parts and labour are cheaper. I don't like driving it nearly as much though. Going from 400 horsepower with a lovely stick shift and rear biased AWD system to 155 and FWD is a bummer. 

14 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Worse things have been said about this car lol

But having bought it myself I’m quite proud of it and the condition it’s in considering the price

Congrats. They're easy to maintain. Nice colors too. Looks like you got the upgraded model too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MTH said:

Congrats. They're easy to maintain. Nice colors too. Looks like you got the upgraded model too.

Not a single thing has gone wrong on it so far (knock on wood). I wish I had the upgraded model but as far as I know this is the rock bottom automatic model not the LL Bean, Sport, H6, or LTD. No complaints here though especially considering recent gas prices lol

Here's my current mode of transport.  Nice to fit a couple gear bags in the back any time needed.  2012 F150. 5.0 v8.  Had a small SUV prior.

Can justify the lack of fuel economy since I don't hardly have to drive anywhere during the week aside from hockey.  I might not be as happy if/when I ever have to return to working at the office.

gsCZwDGwf7p_6KdabfUJUY4PcGgTRofic-2evLhP

Edited by TDS-MN
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 2:42 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Not a single thing has gone wrong on it so far (knock on wood). I wish I had the upgraded model but as far as I know this is the rock bottom automatic model not the LL Bean, Sport, H6, or LTD. No complaints here though especially considering recent gas prices lol

Having worked on Subarus and having owned a couple, please make sure you get that timing belt serviced at the correct intervals. 

The 4-speed auto seems to be a weak spot too, make sure to check the fluid level (tell tale sign is if it shifts real hard, or if your auto stalls intermittently) and do a flush if it hasn't been done in awhile.

The seal on the frameless doors should be looked after too for leaks.

Otherwise, the car is very capable and going to last you a long while, I loved the wagon when I owned mine in the winter as it was super predictable in turns.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johncho said:

Having worked on Subarus and having owned a couple, please make sure you get that timing belt serviced at the correct intervals. 

The 4-speed auto seems to be a weak spot too, make sure to check the fluid level (tell tale sign is if it shifts real hard, or if your auto stalls intermittently) and do a flush if it hasn't been done in awhile.

The seal on the frameless doors should be looked after too for leaks.

Otherwise, the car is very capable and going to last you a long while, I loved the wagon when I owned mine in the winter as it was super predictable in turns.

Timing belt was actually the first thing I replaced on this car! Glad I did too since it was cracked by the time I got to it in Wisconsin. Transmission doesn't stall but it does shudder and shift somewhat hard so I'll check that asap. Door seals still hold flawlessly which is quite surprising considering the state of them. Thank you for all the tips!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 10:33 AM, insertnamehere said:

I just recently sold my Audi S4 due to not being able to justify spending more on gas in a month than one of my mortgage payments. Gas prices are crazy. I was paying $7.37 (CAD) per gallon.

Listed the car on a Saturday, sold it the next day at 6 pm, bought a Mazda 3 hatchback at 7. Instantly started to save upwards of $300 a month in gas, the Passau bag actually fits in the back nicely, insurance is cheaper, parts and labour are cheaper. I don't like driving it nearly as much though. Going from 400 horsepower with a lovely stick shift and rear biased AWD system to 155 and FWD is a bummer. 

I had a Mazda Protege 5 a while back... like you said... it didn't blow the doors off with power but it held everything and was fun to drive. Of course I modified it some... but was a great car. Pretty sure the only "performance" AWD Mazda made relatively recently was the Mazdaspeed 6. Finding one of them now in good condition isn't far off from a unicorn.

7 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I had a Mazda Protege 5 a while back... like you said... it didn't blow the doors off with power but it held everything and was fun to drive. Of course I modified it some... but was a great car. Pretty sure the only "performance" AWD Mazda made relatively recently was the Mazdaspeed 6. Finding one of them now in good condition isn't far off from a unicorn.

Yeah, I've looked at those in the past and they all, at least in my area, suffer from rust horrifically. They're definitely a sleeper though. I wish they'd have made them with the wagon body! Another unicorn would be the Mazdaspeed Protege!

4 hours ago, Flyers27 said:

My new gear hauler/off roader

PXL_20220204_181619117.jpg

Was looking at getting one of these in the day. But the fact that I don't think a hockey stick will fit in the cab or the bed was part of the reason I passed on it. I assume you could angle one in the back seat. But when you're driving two kids to their game 3 hours away; it seemed like an issue.

10 minutes ago, MTH said:

Was looking at getting one of these in the day. But the fact that I don't think a hockey stick will fit in the cab or the bed was part of the reason I passed on it. I assume you could angle one in the back seat. But when you're driving two kids to their game 3 hours away; it seemed like an issue.

My sticks and gear fit fine in the bed, that's where they go for every skate.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Put a deposit on a 2022 Mustang Mach-E earlier this week. We’ve wanted to go electric eventually, and compared to the issues my buddies have had with their Teslas, the MME seems pretty good overall. Anyone have one? 

You're going to have the coolest mid life crisis. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

My mid life crisis was becoming a goalie, buying a bunch of cool gear that cost more than my first 2 cars did (combined!) and hanging out online with degenerates like you!

Oh stop, you know you don't need to butter me up. I'm a cheap date. 

22 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Oh stop, you know you don't need to butter me up. I'm a cheap date. 

You WERE a cheap date, when you were over qualified, and making some weak-sauce coin. Now with the new salary, you probably wouldn’t give me a sideways glance 

…unless I pulled up in a brand new Mustang Mach-E! 

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Haha 1