What car do you use to haul your gear to games?

1C5

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Oh stop, you know you don't need to butter me up. I'm a cheap date. 

But we NEED you to stay on this forum, despite your new job and your new life and your new wife and your new baby.

We, need you.  Remember us? All the guys you've made fun of for YEARS.  

We had you at goalie gear.  The real you :) 

16 hours ago, seagoal said:

But we NEED you to stay on this forum, despite your new job and your new life and your new wife and your new baby.

We, need you.  Remember us? All the guys you've made fun of for YEARS.  

We had you at goalie gear.  The real you :) 

Like I could live without ragging on you guys and being ragged on. 

On 5/6/2022 at 6:49 PM, creasecollector said:

Due to rising gas prices.........

image.thumb.png.8613d1f3fb8c9ab6477e979c8da274cd.png

Orders on new Amish buggies are backlogged three years. Horse food prices have quadrupled since Biden took office since the war.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, MTH said:

Orders on new Amish buggies are backlogged three years. Horse food prices have quadrupled since Biden took office since the war.

As a kid trying to move out of the house, these prices and frankly my schedule are making it very hard to do so

• Like 1

When I started living alone I had two cars (money pits) that were super cool but I never went anywhere because it was such a pig on gas.

If I was a kid again and were to do it again now, I'd get the cheapest EV I could find (about 14k CDN now, it used to be 8k before the Pandemic), delete the backseat and use it pretty much as a runabout around town. Basically just going to work, getting groceries, and going to Arenas. Looks silly I know, but I'd also be saving like 200~400$ a month on gas, which is quite a bit when you're young.

Edited by johncho

17 hours ago, Phil1p33 said:

MK6 GTI. Sticks over the seat and the Passau backpack fits perfectly in the hatch. Really want a Z71 Colorado but *truck prices*. 

17202989_10103127700485558_6149984324590172032_n.jpg

I was behind a Jetta wagon yesterday. I think it was the MK6. Lowered with nice wheels and the obligatory roof rack. But it was cool looking ride. Not sure if it was a sportwagen version.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

I was behind a Jetta wagon yesterday. I think it was the MK6. Lowered with nice wheels and the obligatory roof rack. But it was cool looking ride. Not sure if it was a sportwagen version.

The Sportwagens are nice and I really liked the Alltrack too. It's kinda sad they're not making any more wagons for the US market. I love my hatch but a little extra cargo room would be great. If they ever bring over that Golf R Estate I'll swoop one up in a heartbeat. 

On 5/9/2022 at 12:01 PM, johncho said:

When I started living alone I had two cars (money pits) that were super cool but I never went anywhere because it was such a pig on gas.

If I was a kid again and were to do it again now, I'd get the cheapest EV I could find (about 14k CDN now, it used to be 8k before the Pandemic), delete the backseat and use it pretty much as a runabout around town. Basically just going to work, getting groceries, and going to Arenas. Looks silly I know, but I'd also be saving like 200~400$ a month on gas, which is quite a bit when you're young.

And upping your electric bill as you charge it at home.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

And upping your electric bill as you charge it at home.

Not sure how much electricity costs where you are, but for me it's about $0.09/kilowatt hour. Super cheap and would make a huge difference if I were to completely disregard the initial purchase price of an EV 😆

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Interesting- and relevant to me, as I’m also in Ottawa! What model are we talking about again…?

Related question: did you have a 220 charger installed?

I've got the 2018 Nissan LEAF, only 40kwh, but I can get to Nepean Sportsplex and back from Orleans in the dead of winter and that's all that matters. But it proved to us that when our 2nd car goes, we could replace that with an EV as well. 

And yeah I got the 220 installed by J.A.R. Electric if you know them, very good work.

So if my back of the envelope math is right (prob I made a mistake somewhere) says that my gas car costs us about 20~25 cents per km, whereas our EV costs just above a penny per. So Nepean to Orleans is about 60km both ways, which means that it costs about 12~15$ for a gas car and about a 1$ for EV. 

On the other hand though, you could prob carpool one more in my gas car, but couldn't easily do so on my Leaf.

Edited by johncho
maths
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MTH said:

I'd love an EV now. I already have 220 wired in my garage for my welder. Just stinks that buying them is more painful than welding without a mask on.

In terms of availability? It's been nuts around where I live apparently, the Ioniq 5 and the EV6 have been backordered to god knows when. Those two seem like good replacements for mine once it goes as the range is much better, but that might be awhile.

My son is getting close to driving age. Wants a truck. I am hoping that the gas prices will make trucks dirt cheap like they were under Obama when gas last spiked.

Yet... no change still. How the f are people putting gas in trucks still? 

My son won't drive as much as working adults and all do. So he'd manage fine. I'm not dropping $30k on a 10 year old truck. It's nuts.

My wife's 16 Subaru has worn out it's welcome. Nice having a paid off car to drive. But the continuous needs are getting old. Yesterday it decided to light up every warning lamp while driving. My wife loves that. So - time to go.

Checking the cash offer sites, gets her about $9k for it.

She wants to trade it in. I presume the best way to do this is to take a few cash offers in with you to give you a floor. Then let the dealership games begin!

When I come in with my laptop and have a payment calculator already up and running - the sales guys still try to ask me 'what do you want to pay per month' like it's some magic science.

We did interest calculators in 7th grade math bro. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

The auto market is so fucked right now.  

This is so true.

My car was a 2014 Honda Accord Sport 6 speed sedan I had since new, tons of room, was able to get both daughters goalie bags in the trunk, pads and sticks in the back seat, and lots of room for the 3 of us.

Then 2 weeks ago coming back from older kids hockey we got rear ended at a pretty decent speed, car written off. Getting about $16k CDN, which is ok. Kids both have some whiplash injuries, which is not ok, but it could have been much worse if it had been a bigger vehicle that hit us instead of a RAV4.

But trying to replace it? Civics are now almost $40k CDN for the new manual one I can find in the area, and I can find one used Accord but it's $35k CDN. Mine was paid off, but guess I have to go back to a car payment. If I didn't want a manual again it would be a bit easier, but not any cheaper.

Our plan had ben to get rid of our F150 with the 6.2L since we don't tow anymore, but it's now sticking around for a bit, really don't want 2 payments.