Ever Wanted to Actually Fight a Goalie?

stackem30

On 1/11/2019 at 11:54 AM, Netnewbie said:

I mean go to place to put time in and get a pay check!!  

I go to places to work to get payed, I'm told I'm getting payed, and then don't get payed. At least I tried. The second I'm able to legally get a job at monkey sports I'm working there. Gear discounts sound great to me.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could care less about the other goalie, I'm more concerned about the douche bags in front of me, that are in my crease or slapping my pad after a save, I'm not calm when that happens I will go after them....some say sorry which is fine but I will push.  Now if the other goalie starts something funny with my guys I will be there....hasn't happened in 8 years so we cool :)

4 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I could care less about the other goalie, I'm more concerned about the douche bags in front of me, that are in my crease or slapping my pad after a save, I'm not calm when that happens I will go after them....some say sorry which is fine but I will push.  Now if the other goalie starts something funny with my guys I will be there....hasn't happened in 8 years so we cool :)

Why bother? It's always seemed unnecessary in my eyes.

55 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Why bother? It's always seemed unnecessary in my eyes.

Yeah, I've never understood why some goalies get so outraged if someone has the gaul to... touch them. Don't get me wrong, if someone were to do something really over the top like take a big slash at my hands or spear me in the gut after a save, I'd have something to say about it. But giving your glove a nudge when you cover the puck, or your pad a little slap? They're just doing their job, trying to make sure they can't get the puck loose. It's what they're taught to do, just like how we're taught to push guys who crowd our crease.

The rest of our teammates sure as hell deal with a lot more whacks, shoves, spears, hacks, jabs, and nudges than we do. I think it looks Downy-soft when goalies act like someone committed a major atrocity by... touching them. Goalies will act like they have free rein to push/hack players just for standing in front of them, but throw fits if someone nudges them after a play.

I know people will say "that's the code" and "you just don't touch the goalie!", but it makes no sense to me. Everyone has their own level of what they're willing to put up with in terms of physicality from another player, but for too many goalies, that level is "anything at all". It's hockey, deal with it.

1 minute ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I didn't mean go after them as in punch them haha give them a hack or two...throw them of their game or send a message.

Sounds more like they're throwing you off your game... and I think the message you're sending them is, "That goalie loses his mind when we touch him, keep doing it!" 😜

12 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Yeah, I've never understood why some goalies get so outraged if someone has the gaul to... touch them. Don't get me wrong, if someone were to do something really over the top like take a big slash at my hands or spear me in the gut after a save, I'd have something to say about it. But giving your glove a nudge when you cover the puck, or your pad a little slap? They're just doing their job, trying to make sure they can't get the puck loose. It's what they're taught to do, just like how we're taught to push guys who crowd our crease.

The rest of our teammates sure as hell deal with a lot more whacks, shoves, spears, hacks, jabs, and nudges than we do. I think it looks Downy-soft when goalies act like someone committed a major atrocity by... touching them. Goalies will act like they have free rein to push/hack players just for standing in front of them, but throw fits if someone nudges them after a play.

I know people will say "that's the code" and "you just don't touch the goalie!", but it makes no sense to me. Everyone has their own level of what they're willing to put up with in terms of physicality from another player, but for too many goalies, that level is "anything at all". It's hockey, deal with it.

Hear Hear.

The guys in front generally deal with far more abuse, bruises and general shittery, the least I can do is demonstrate the same general fortitude when it comes to the whacks and slashes and pain that hockey brings and not acting like a prema donna when I get touched with all my pads on.

And this isn't a "check out Coop the badass" post, but mostly me stating that despite the position we play, we are still playing hockey and are hockey players. May as well act like one.

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Hear Hear.

The guys in front generally deal with far more abuse, bruises and general shittery, the least I can do is demonstrate the same general fortitude when it comes to the whacks and slashes and pain that hockey brings and not acting like a prema donna when I get touched with all my pads on.

And this isn't a "check out Coop the badass" post, but mostly me stating that despite the position we play, we are still playing hockey and are hockey players. May as well act like one.

Watch out folks, we've got a badass here...

All joking aside, that's how I feel about it. We are exempt from so much of the physical aspects of the game, so I'm not sure why people insist on going the full mile and acting as though goalies are literally untouchable. Besides, I don't like the feeling like I'm being treated with kid gloves. 

For what it's worth, I've read that the whole "Don't touch the goalie" thing mostly derives from the old days when teams didn't employ a backup goalie. It had little to do with "respect" or the sanctity of the position — it was more about "If you want to keep playing than don't mess around and injure the goalie." Also, those goalies didn't wear masks and had negligible amounts of padding. We should be able to handle it.

25 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Hear Hear.

Acting like a prema donna is dropping like melted butter when someone hacks you or swings at you. Sending a message back is being a hockey player. Again, I don't mean punching or hurting someone. 

I know, but what's the message — that you can't be touched? You're not really addressing what we were just saying. Everyone else on the ice deals with a hell of a lot more without feeling like the need to retaliate and "send a message". Why do goalies have to be different? 

All the guys skating in front of you have had to learn that if they want to play this game for any length of time, they're going to have to learn to deal with not taking every little whack and push as a personal offense that requires a retaliation. They know that the other player is just doing their job, and playing them hard. It's nothing personal. I think more goalies should keep that in mind, rather than behaving as though we exist in some untouchable realm. 

It’s situational for me. If it’s a circumstance where the intent was going for a then-loose puck, I don’t get too up in arms about it.

Example: puck is scrambling in front of my pads, and you get my glove as I come down. Or, if it’s in the air and you try to bat it as I go to get it and your stick gets my hand, that’s not on you either. 

However, if I’ve had the puck concealed in my paraphernalia for more than 5 seconds and you spear me in the midsection, I may punch you if my teammates haven’t yet, and rightfully so.

Example: I have the puck concealed in my paraphernalia for more than 5 seconds, and your 5’2” ass spears me in the gonads for no intelligible reason 5 minutes into a game. From my knees, I will punch your face with my closed glove and you’ll land on your tiny ass. Then my idiot teammate will mistake the other short guy standing there as you, cross check him and a brawl starts. I don’t even get the penalty. Then we ruin your prefect season two months later and it feels wondrous.

Excuse my Principle Skinner flashback there.

You know what, just let your team deal with them. It’s a no-win when a goalie does anything other than stopping pucks.

13 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Besides, I don't like the feeling like I'm being treated with kid gloves.

I think that's mostly it actually. I really hate being coddled to.

13 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Acting like a prema donna is dropping like melted butter when someone hacks you or swings at you. Sending a message back is being a hockey player. Again, I don't mean punching or hurting someone. 

I think they're both similar despite being complete opposite reactions. All you're showing is that the opposing team is able to get to you in any form. By all means, you do you man, but I've found more success and hell, more fun when I'm not mixing it up with the other team. They also tend to leave me alone more too when I'm not reacting to their crap. So win/win.

6 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

You know what, just let your team deal with them. It’s a no-win when a goalie does anything other than stopping pucks.

Definitely.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:39 PM, stackem30 said:

But somehow, this kid was so obnoxious in so many ways that I really did start thinking about the possibility... something I never thought would enter my mind at age 30. Fortunately or unfortunately, he wasn't in goal the other time we played them. Maybe his teammates hated him too...

What do you guys think? Was I overreacting? Should I not have said something in the handshake line? Should I have done something more? Is this fight-worthy stuff? Has anyone here ever fought another goalie (for any reason other than a bench-clearing brawl / they fought your teammate)? What would it take for you to do so? Are goalies with lots of GGSU swag really that lame?? Discuss.

Wow, what a duchebag. I always show respect for my opponents, even maybe get a little friendly, since maybe I played previously with some of them, or if I change teams may play with them in the future. Besides, it's just a game. I don't know anyone who wants a duchebag on their team regardless how good he may be...unless they are duchebags as well.

I could maybe see if it's a competitive league, and it's gonna be a tight game, and you start to trash-talk a bit to get under the other teams skin...but definitely not the case in your story. That was just 100% duchebag. On the bright side, you only have to share the ice with that a-hole for 60min or so, that guy has to live with himself every day. Must suck to be him.

...as for fighting, no, the last time I got in a fight was in a end-of-game handshake line when I was 10, the other goalie had number 1 and I made some crack that it was also his IQ or something, LOL.

...and as for lifting the mask up during play...is that allowed? I'm pretty sure the refs here would whistle the play dead if a goalie had his mask up during play here.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

If you're that full of yourself, every day you exist is a blessing onto the world.

Nah, people like that usually have a very low self-esteem and are miserable people inside. People who are actually happy and content don't have the need to belittle other people for no reason. This guy is a steaming lop of crap, and he knows it. But instead of trying to improve himself, he just puts others down because it's easier.

Chakal never has issues with guys hitting him after he covers the puck.... wonder why.

Oh yeah, he'll drop a 6-1-9 on the dude.

DopeyExhaustedGaur-size_restricted.gif

Chakal has done this using the boards and the crossbar of the net. Only good part is that he's wearing pads - and darn good looking ones at that - so it's not so bad.

The splash off the crossbar isn't actually against any hockey rules. So it's cool.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, old but slow said:

I might freak out a little if the stick is coming down on the back of me leg/hand, perceived intent to injure, vs a stick coming in horizontally, perceived digging for loose puck. But I'm more of a  "what the hell is that shit" guy than a get in your face/ throw punches guy

Oh totally, it's one thing if someone's actually hurting you — that deserves (and sometimes requires) a response. On this page, I was talking about reacting to people crowding you after a whistle, giving your leg pad a little poke before the whistle blows, etc. To me, that stuff is all part of the game, and my preference is to act unfazed, and show that I'm not going to be easily taken out of my game. The way I figure it, a player screening me isn't doing anything wrong or illegal, and I'll still give them a small push, or a glove on their back to let them know I'm there — so it's only fair to give people the same leeway when they give you're covering a puck.

I just think the "DON'T TOUCH THE GOALIE OR ELSE..." thing gets taken to such an extreme level that we can come off as these untouchable babies who freak out if anyone even gets near us, god forbid touches us... that ain't hockey. Sometimes having some pride and showing some guts is more about letting things go than standing up for yourself.

2 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Oh totally, it's one thing if someone's actually hurting you — that deserves (and sometimes requires) a response. On this page, I was talking about reacting to people crowding you after a whistle, giving your leg pad a little poke before the whistle blows, etc. To me, that stuff is all part of the game, and my preference is to act unfazed, and show that I'm not going to be easily taken out of my game. The way I figure it, a player screening me isn't doing anything wrong or illegal, and I'll still give them a small push, or a glove on their back to let them know I'm there — so it's only fair to give people the same leeway when they give you're covering a puck.

I just think the "DON'T TOUCH THE GOALIE OR ELSE..." thing gets taken to such an extreme level that we can come off as these untouchable babies who freak out if anyone even gets near us, god forbid touches us... that ain't hockey. Sometimes having some pride and showing some guts is more about letting things go than standing up for yourself.

oh I completely agree. 

I';ve been playing in my various leagues long enough that everything is primarily friendly or done in a joking fashion. If someone is crowding the crease, they'll get a little tickle with the toe of the stick somewhere near the anus, followed by inappropriate comments that should require time with an harassment councilor. Or maybe a soft breath to the back of an ear.

Maybe I should seek professional help

@stackem30, I played against another goalie in men's league who would lift his bucket up during play, which I despised. I told him in between periods to knock it off or I'd make him pay for it. Sure enough, he didn't do it again the rest of the game. I'd like to credit that success to my 2-0 record in goalie fights during juniors, but he obviously didn't know about that. 

12 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

@stackem30, I played against another goalie in men's league who would lift his bucket up during play, which I despised. I told him in between periods to knock it off or I'd make him pay for it. Sure enough, he didn't do it again the rest of the game. I'd like to credit that success to my 2-0 record in goalie fights during juniors, but he obviously didn't know about that. 

Meanwhile the dude is dying from asthma. Or worse, is congested and can't breathe through his nose.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Meanwhile the dude is dying from asthma. Or worse, is congested and can't breathe through his nose.

Yeah: while I agree with pretty well everything that has been said here – primarily the guy was a steaming coil – I don’t really get the issue with flipping the mask up. Perhaps he was trying to make a statement about his opinion of your team, but that is truly the epitome of the saying you can only be insulted if you chose to be.

As someone said, he has to live with himself, and while that’s bad enough, I really pity anyone he works or goes to school with, or lives with or ends up in the same store with or movie theater or breathes the same air - wait that's all of us….

Archived