TheGoalNet

13 hours ago, pfra said:

To get a feel based second opinion

Agree: 

CCM 580 = Brian's Subzero = Bauer 1X/2X

Don't Agree:

CCM 590 = Bauer 2S

For me the 2S much closer resembles the CCM 600

Don't know Vaughn enough to comment there.

Kinda true with the 2s as it feels like it's in between, but I always thought the supreme line always tried to copy a 590 but couldn't? 

Dude the new ve8 1 piece literally is a CCM 590 clone. They tried and tried and finally managed to clone it

• 3 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 3:49 AM, ruckus007 said:

I personally think with gloves, to simply try it on. Just relying on break angles do not always provide accurate hand feel. 

CCM 590 = Vaughn VE8 1 piece = Genetik = Bauer 2S

CCM600 = Vaughn PVE/VE8 2 piece/SLR (a bit modified)

CCM 580 = Brian's Subzero = Bauer 1X/2X. 

Warrior doesn't really count as I don't notice THAT much of a difference when switching liners since the glove itself is still the same. 

NOTE: This is just what I feel when I try them out. REsults may vary.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:45 AM, pfra said:

To get a feel based second opinion

Agree: 

CCM 580 = Brian's Subzero = Bauer 1X/2X

Don't Agree:

CCM 590 = Bauer 2S

For me the 2S much closer resembles the CCM 600

Don't know Vaughn enough to comment there.

Think @ruckus007 and @pfra make good points about each glove feel individual to the goalie wearing them. You just like a given glove model or break from a given company and who cares what it's supposed to be. I felt okay using a Bauer 1S and I have never been comfortable in a 600 or T5500

However, when you talk to the manufactures, your lists above are NOT inline with how they are designed.

Supreme (1S & 2S) = 600 = Vaughn T5500 / SLR family = Baseball glove

Vapor (2X and 1X) = 590 - Bauer even uses 60 deg in their product literature = VE8 1 Piece

Brian's does their own thing with 35 and 45 deg breaks. I think that GNetik is between 580 and 590 and that Optik / SZ is between 590 and 600. Brian's probably the most matter of opinion of any brand

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 4:07 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Think @ruckus007 and @pfra make good points about each glove feel individual to the goalie wearing them. You just like a given glove model or break from a given company and who cares what it's supposed to be. I felt okay using a Bauer 1S and I have never been comfortable in a 600 or T5500

However, when you talk to the manufactures, your lists above are NOT inline with how they are designed.

Supreme (1S & 2S) = 600 = Vaughn T5500 / SLR family = Baseball glove

Vapor (2X and 1X) = 590 - Bauer even uses 60 deg in their product literature = VE8 1 Piece

Brian's does their own thing with 35 and 45 deg breaks. I think that GNetik is between 580 and 590 and that Optik / SZ is between 590 and 600. Brian's probably the most matter of opinion of any brand

I would agree with how you and the manufacturers match the gloves.

The only thing I wanted to mention is, that the 1X and 2X are not completely the same and with playing mostly the 580 in the past, I see certain features in the 2X.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:16 AM, pfra said:

I would agree with how you and the manufacturers match the gloves.

The only thing I wanted to mention is, that the 1X and 2X are not completely the same and with playing mostly the 580 in the past, I see certain features in the 2X.

Bauer does not classify one as 60 and one as 90. That's my point. They are both 60s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Peter36 said:

Which glove break is the best for shooting/puck handling? Also, would switching from a 590 break to a 600 break be a big difference?

A lot say the 590 is the easiest for puck handling. I’m not sure exactly what degree my lt98 is but it helps me wrap around the handle of the stick way easier than with my ccm premier which had a 590 break therefore giving me more control. As for switching to a 600 closure from a 590 I’m not completely how different that would be. CCM describes the 600 to be technically a 50 degree angle whereas the 590 is a 60 degree angle so it might not be too different. 

1 hour ago, Peter36 said:

Which glove break is the best for shooting/puck handling? Also, would switching from a 590 break to a 600 break be a big difference?

580 is notorious for being the best at puckhandling.  It's preference on how you hold your stick (although most goalies use the Turco method).  

From InGoal:

Screenshot_20190919-003318.thumb.png.14d2c0305d02bdb6e38c736146b25bfb.png

5 hours ago, cwarnar said:

580 is notorious for being the best at puckhandling.  It's preference on how you hold your stick (although most goalies use the Turco method).  

From InGoal:

This is interesting. If you ask CCM, I think they would rank 580 last for puck handling. This also came up when ordering my 90 deg Optik 2.

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Pretty sure it comes down to the goalie's preferences. There's good and bad puck handlers with every break of glove in the NHL.

Agreed.  In the last 6 years I've used an older Battram glove, a Brian's SubZero and Gnetik II, Vaughn VE8, Warrior R/GT2 and CCM 590.  Each of these have had different breaks and I certainly have favorites among them, but at the end of the day none of them made or broke my ability to play the puck effectively.

If you want to be an effective puck handler I'd say the factors that affect it are (from most to least important)  Practice/technique --> Properly fitting C/A to allow for mobility in hands -->Stick height-->  Stick pattern-->Stick knob-->Glove break-->blocker.

https://m.youtube.com/user/VOGoalie?itct=CCQQ6p4EIhMIztfI7f_d5AIVionCAR07vg2f&csn=vgmEXaDOJ5DDigTRubDQDw&wlfg=true

VOGoalie has a cool video on changing his Warrior G4 60 degree (baseball/60 degree) to a 90 degree liner and how much the fingers to palm is so much better for the Turco style.  As a 10+ year Simmons glove set user (pretty sure my 996 glove is a 60 degree), I've really been wanting to try a 90 degree glove now that I've been working at my puck handling the past few months.  But not sure how catching and transitioning will work.  Only one way I can find out...hopefully I can try someone's glove locally.

Edited by dreadlocked1
spell

Definitely try one out, it's a huge change.  I played one game with a buddy's 580 glove (forgot mine at home and was lucky he played before me) and would NEVER wear one again under any circumstances.   In fairness to the glove it's about as far from my ideal closure as possible, and I realize it works for some,  but it was just SO extreme that I spent the entire game fighting it and ended up just not trying to close it at all.  Again, the glove break doesn't make that much of a difference in puck handling, certainly not enough that I'd pay $600 for a new glove just to change breaks.

Edit:  Just watched the vid and everything I said still stands.   The dude could have managed to get than minimal amount of air under the puck with just a little practice time in his basement/garage.  No reason to buy a glove for that tiny amount of improvement.

Edited by Puckstopper

Fair enough, ive been practicing in my garage in with no glove as much as possible and made huge improvements since starting and still using my Simmons 996.  When the time comes, I think I want the Warrior, but just want to know what liner to get. So you jumped to a 90 from a 60 and hated it?  What do you use now?  I grew up playimg baseball before playing goalie so I catch like a ballplayer if that's an applicable comparison versus the other breaks?  I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Telfo said:

sure feels fingers to palm to me!

I know it feels a little different but its definitely a 590.  From InGoal: Vapor 2X Pro glove closes more like a CCM 590, with a 60-degree break and the fingers pulling more into to the base of the thumb or palm.  Vs the 2S Pro closes more like a CCM 600 or Vaughn 5500 break, with the fingertips pulling to the end of the thumb.

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

2X is a 590 style break.

5 hours ago, Telfo said:

sure feels fingers to palm to me!

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I know it feels a little different but its definitely a 590.  From InGoal: Vapor 2X Pro glove closes more like a CCM 590, with a 60-degree break and the fingers pulling more into to the base of the thumb or palm.  Vs the 2S Pro closes more like a CCM 600 or Vaughn 5500 break, with the fingertips pulling to the end of the thumb.

I'm a 580 wearer with 2X Pro on the way... and IMO while the 2X Pro isn't the 90 degree you'd find on a 580... so pocket location is certainly different... the closure is much closer to the fingers to palm you have on a 580. That said... I anticipate having to tie down (or use a hot glove) with an overlap to get as close to a 580 feel as I can during break in.

On 6/6/2017 at 5:00 PM, EwanSoutar33 said:

I use a 590 and I absolutely love it to death, it's easily the best break that I've ever used, it's like a vacuum. Mark my words every puck shot at my glove is caught, haven't got scored on off of a straight on glove shot since I changed from Bauer 4 years ago. I've tried the 600 and I couldn't catch a puck if my life depended on it. 590 in my opinion is the best break ever. IMO

What do you use now

On 9/19/2019 at 2:34 AM, cwarnar said:

From InGoal:

On 9/19/2019 at 8:21 AM, TheGoalNet said:

This is interesting. If you ask CCM, I think they would rank 580 last for puck handling. This also came up when ordering my 90 deg Optik 2.

While I certainly don't disagree with InGoalMag on the comfort of the closure and matching up well to gripping the stick (and perhaps this next part is in part due to me being a terrible puck handler in the first place) but I found (and I think this is where CCM's mind is as well) that the lack of a pronounced "notch" at the base of a CCM 580 doesn't give you a good place to lock the stick shaft into the palm of the glove.. which you do find on a 590 or 600. But the break angle isn't the only factor in play... it's also the angle of cuff integration. Shown below... 580 is nearly straight across the bottom while the 590 and 600 (to an even larger degree) have a defined drop where the catching surface meets the cuff. That's where most guys who utilize a Turco grip rest the shaft of the stick. Thoughts...

image.thumb.png.d02e8cbdb0f4e57d4c23f6c398e42f35.png

• Like 1