Mike Richter - Pepsi Shootout as a Bantam

MTH

From 1981 - local Philly kid Mike Richter playing for the Wissahickon Skating Club bantams in a then called 'Pepsi Shootout'. Playing the Westtown Quakers - who are in the process of resurfacing right now. Westtown rink closed in 1986 with the Quakers moving to IceLine. In 2018, the Westtown rink was re-opened and the Quakers are returning next year.

Seems like Pepsi sponsored a breakaway contest for all the local Philly hockey teams. Looks like it was filmed at the Spectrum and edited and narrated after the event. I assume the matchups were shown during intermissions of Flyers broadcasts in the day.

With two little dudes playing now in the area, this would be awesome if done now.

Enjoy.

9 minutes ago, MTH said:

From 1981 - local Philly kid Mike Richter playing for the Wissahickon Skating Club bantams in a then called 'Pepsi Shootout'. Playing the Westtown Quakers - who are in the process of resurfacing right now. Westtown rink closed in 1986 with the Quakers moving to IceLine. In 2018, the Westtown rink was re-opened and the Quakers are returning next year.

Seems like Pepsi sponsored a breakaway contest for all the local Philly hockey teams. Looks like it was filmed at the Spectrum and edited and narrated after the event. I assume the matchups were shown during intermissions of Flyers broadcasts in the day.

With two little dudes playing now in the area, this would be awesome if done now.

Enjoy.

I skated at that cricket club rink a few times when I lived there. My cousins when to that HS and I had an unreal "Warriors Hockey" T

This is awesome. The concept, the gear, the moves, everything. I would love to see more footage of really young goalies who went on to have professional careers, just to see how much their style did/didn't change, whether they were standout talents yet, etc. It's fascinating to see a young Mike Richter... obviously his style and athleticism developed considerably as he got older, but you can still see some hints of his signature skating/ legwork, particularly on the replay angle of his second save. If anything, it was amusing to see Richter and have my first thought be, 'He looks pretty big!'

Archived