Brians bungee toe tie

Does anyone know where these are available as a stand alone item in Canada and how much they are approx retailing for?? (ideally a Canadian store as a friend who lives in Ottawa will be sending them on to me as part of a larger parcel - living in Europe sucks for having easy access to gear!)

6 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

Does anyone know where these are available as a stand alone item in Canada and how much they are approx retailing for?? (ideally a Canadian store as a friend who lives in Ottawa will be sending them on to me as part of a larger parcel - living in Europe sucks for having easy access to gear!)

Crows Sports maybe?

Do they have to be Brians?

Assuming you're talking about the Brian's Smart Cord (I think that's what they're calling it) that is available on the G-Netik IV? I'm not sure those are available at retail yet.

Pro Laces are very similar - though I don't know think any stores carry them.

The A&R/Nash Pad Rotator System is pretty close, those might be in-store - I've seen them in my LHS here in California.

Kenesky also has an offering, though that's not available in a brick and mortar store.

9 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

I'm in Ottawa, and I saw these - in stock - at Pro Hockey Life on Hunt Club. They were ~$25 CDN.

https://www.prohockeylife.com/products/brians-smart-strap-toe-tie

I had them in my hand, in fact, and the guy working there politely talked me out of buying them! Apparently they don't stay fastened as well as some of the alternatives, and/or the stitching is not as good...? Can't quite remember, but I walked out of the store without them.

A lot of people here on TGN swear by the Pro Laces, which as @ZeroGravitas says are not available retail. I still have skate laces, but when I do make the jump, it will be to Pro Laces. They are Canadian, so maybe your friend can order them for you, and then forward them along...?

33 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I'm in Ottawa, and I saw these - in stock - at Pro Hockey Life on Hunt Club. They were ~$25 CDN.

I had them in my hand, in fact, and the guy working there politely talked me out of buying them! Apparently they don't stay fastened as well as some of the alternatives, and/or the stitching is not as good...? Can't quite remember, but I walked out of the store without them.

A lot of people here on TGN swear by the Pro Laces, which as @ZeroGravitas says are not available retail. I still have skate laces, but when I do make the jump, it will be to Pro Laces. They are Canadian, so maybe your friend can order them for you, and then forward them along...?

The first edition (Gnetik 2 or Subzero 2 release, I don't remember) of those toe ties liked to come undone but during the Gnetik3 release, they upgraded the strapping to make it more of a "velcro sandwich" closure which DEFINITELY fixed that problem. You just have to double check which one is which. 

I don't like the elastic smart strap simply for the reason that the shock cord system is better (more responsive).

I've seen the NASH system at Pro Hockey Life before if it has to be bought in store. I have seen pro Laces in stock over Instagram (ProSkateGoal) but when you go online, you can easily get Pro Laces, A&R or Kenesky. 

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Ah I have those ones already on my gnetik 2's - they're pretty good, but a bungee cord system (have a homemade set up at the mo) seems to have a snappier response in rotating back to position than the Brians flat elastic system.

By the sounds of things the new Brians bungee ties aren't available yet, so I'll probably go with some Prolaces instead, I was initially a bit hesitant with Prolaces as the bungee cord is sewed in so would be harder to replace...but I can't argue with all the positive feedback they have on here!

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2019 at 10:29 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

Pro Laces are very similar - though I don't know think any stores carry them.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

@Lucky Pucker @ZeroGravitas Pure Goalie has them- https://goalie.purehockey.com/product/pro-laces-toe-straps-senior/itm/31315-41/

On 1/16/2019 at 7:11 PM, raucebyalien said:

Call any Brians dealer. It’s likely not a stocked item but they should be able to help you out.

I have a set of Gnetik 5.5 with the original Smart Straps, ie flat elastic with single velcro flap. They were too short for my RBK 3K skates. The sales guy said they could custom make a set for me. So I added 3” to them and have been happy with them. And they were the newer style sandwich velcro flap. Cost was $24CDN IIRC. Thanks to The Hockey Shop in Surrey, BC.

Archived