Jump to content

My First Time...


Lucky Pucker
 Share

Recommended Posts

...and it didn't hurt! Or maybe yours did...(?) xD

Been thinking about doing this thread for a while. Not sure if it will take off, but I was thinking we could put a bunch of "firsts" in here:

  • First shutout
  • first smashed stick
  • first penalty
  • first goalie fight
  • first goal
  • first shot to the nuts
  • First time a non-goalie noticed your new gear
  • First pick up after pick up

Those are just suggestions though - be creative.

Last night I got called to sub in a buddy's +35 league for the second time. I got 3 firsts in that one:

  • my first shootout (it was 2-2 after regulation, and they don't have ties in this league)
  • my first league win!
  • first time I cashed in my "player of the game" voucher for a free beer
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

First ever 0-0 tie for me a month or so ago.  Been playing for a couple of decades, never had one before. 

17 shot on me, 38 on the other goalie.  It was so fun watching him play because we lit him up pretty good. 

We were both super excited and giddy in the handshake line.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

First ever 0-0 tie for me a month or so ago.  Been playing for a couple of decades, never had one before. 

17 shot on me, 38 on the other goalie.  It was so fun watching him play because we lit him up pretty good. 

We were both super excited and giddy in the handshake line.

Nice one! The only time I was in a 0-0 tie, it was rudely interrupted by the opening face off - LOL!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

First ever 0-0 tie for me a month or so ago.  Been playing for a couple of decades, never had one before. 

17 shot on me, 38 on the other goalie.  It was so fun watching him play because we lit him up pretty good. 

We were both super excited and giddy in the handshake line.

Yeah, I had a 0-0 tie this season.  It was kind of surreal.  First and only one I've ever had.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Back from my usual Friday pick up game, and for the very first time, I only let in one goal! ONE! It wasn't necessarily  my best game, and I didn't have my career-best saves (one of which came last week with this group) but I felt solid.

Guys in the room were saying after "too bad about the shutout."

But I told them "admittedly, it crossed my mind early, cus you guys were playing such great D... but only having one goal against, for me, it's like Christmas, and the Stanley Cup, and the Gold medal all at once! I'm over the moon!"

There were some good belly-laughs at that one. Great bunch of guys I play with on Fridays.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Oh, man...

I had been looking to find a regular gig with a team for the winter season. Since I've only been playing for a year and a half or so (with a few months off for an MCL tear), it's been all pick up stuff. But my goal was to play with a team in a league. Anyhoo, in the 11th hour, I got an email from the convener of the league I was hoping to play in, and he put me in touch with a team that's in the same +35 Division as the team I had subbed for last year. Last night was my trial with this new team - which, incidentally, had won the championship last year. So, like, no pressure, right?

The first shot against me was a bang-bang play, with an unmarked guy in the slot putting it beyond my outstretched glove, and into the net. Down 1-0 already.

After that? Well, I had the game of my life! The boys managed to get a gritty tying goal, we killed off a penalty (3 minutes in this league), got a go-ahead beauty with 7-ish minutes left, and we held during the onslaught when they pulled their goalie - mostly because the boys pushed the other team so much they had trouble keeping it in for the entire last minute. Game finished 2-1 for us!

Standing around in the hall, after, waiting for the guy with the key, guys on the team said they didn't feel they reserved that win, sheepishly laughing, and lauding the other team, and saying "it's only because of our goalie that we won; he kept us in, and stole it for us." Ha ha!... yeah, so... WAIT  A MINUTE... "our goalie" is me! Wait - ME? Holy fuck - they're talking about me!

It was true - and in the room, they gave me the Player of the Game too (which is a coupon for a free *beer at the arena bar). A quick poll of the team, and all were agreed that I would be their goalie this season -and this would be my team! I didn't have the heart to tell them that I'll probably never play that well again - LOL!

My first regulation win, my first "real" game allowing only 1 goal against, and my first team. I'm on cloud nine.

(*the liberal use of the term beer is a bit misleading, as my choices are restricted to Coors or Canadian. Oh well - still free!)

image.thumb.png.2b5a59744db3a4bff6872700ff540da7.png

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, creasecollector said:

There is nothing like playing a league game with your team. Congrats on your first win! I would put that voucher on the same level as winning some sort of trophy. I'd keep that thing and write the date/score on the back.

Congrats again on the big win!

Thanks so much - appreciate that! It's a thrilling feeling - I'm still on a high from it!

Good idea about writing the game details on the back, and hanging on to it; I sure ain't that hard up for a Coors Light, so I might as well keep it! :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

It was true - and in the room, they gave me the Player of the Game too (which is a coupon for a free *beer at the arena bar). A quick poll of the team, and all were agreed that I would be their goalie this season -and this would be my team! I didn't have the heart to tell them that I'll probably never play that well again - LOL!

Man, just wait till they come to that realization themselves. Pretty sure there will be some locker room beatings.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No recent firsts to talk about but remember some others 

First getting run over with knee to the side of head [concussion probable] 🤕

First shot off mask that caused it to be unserviceable 🤬

First broken stick. Broke the shaft in half 😄

First time i had the seat of my goalie pants ripped from a screw on top of the boards 😡

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2019 at 10:27 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Man, just wait till they come to that realization themselves. Pretty sure there will be some locker room beatings.

So it’s either retire, or pack some brass knuckles for next game. Noted.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:42 AM, Scythe said:

No recent firsts to talk about but remember some others 

First getting run over with knee to the side of head [concussion probable] 🤕

First shot off mask that caused it to be unserviceable 🤬

First broken stick. Broke the shaft in half 😄

First time i had the seat of my goalie pants ripped from a screw on top of the boards 😡

Knee in the head is not fun. Wrenched my neck last time, but no concussion stuff fortunately!

My mask is still serviceable after taking some shots,, but the first ever shot to the coconut was my freakin teacher during my second-ever skate as a goalie! I can tell you, it was quite unexpected!

 I’m ok with never duplicating the ripped pants first - lol!

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2019 at 8:18 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

Oh, man...

I had been looking to find a regular gig with a team for the winter season. Since I've only been playing for a year and a half or so (with a few months off for an MCL tear), it's been all pick up stuff. But my goal was to play with a team in a league. Anyhoo, in the 11th hour, I got an email from the convener of the league I was hoping to play in, and he put me in touch with a team that's in the same +35 Division as the team I had subbed for last year. Last night was my trial with this new team - which, incidentally, had won the championship last year. So, like, no pressure, right?

The first shot against me was a bang-bang play, with an unmarked guy in the slot putting it beyond my outstretched glove, and into the net. Down 1-0 already.

After that? Well, I had the game of my life! The boys managed to get a gritty tying goal, we killed off a penalty (3 minutes in this league), got a go-ahead beauty with 7-ish minutes left, and we held during the onslaught when they pulled their goalie - mostly because the boys pushed the other team so much they had trouble keeping it in for the entire last minute. Game finished 2-1 for us!

Standing around in the hall, after, waiting for the guy with the key, guys on the team said they didn't feel they reserved that win, sheepishly laughing, and lauding the other team, and saying "it's only because of our goalie that we won; he kept us in, and stole it for us." Ha ha!... yeah, so... WAIT  A MINUTE... "our goalie" is me! Wait - ME? Holy fuck - they're talking about me!

It was true - and in the room, they gave me the Player of the Game too (which is a coupon for a free *beer at the arena bar). A quick poll of the team, and all were agreed that I would be their goalie this season -and this would be my team! I didn't have the heart to tell them that I'll probably never play that well again - LOL!

My first regulation win, my first "real" game allowing only 1 goal against, and my first team. I'm on cloud nine.

(*the liberal use of the term beer is a bit misleading, as my choices are restricted to Coors or Canadian. Oh well - still free!)

image.thumb.png.2b5a59744db3a4bff6872700ff540da7.png

Congratulations, Pucker!!!  So happy for you.  Here's to a great season for you and your team. :chug:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Congratulations, Pucker!!!  So happy for you.  Here's to a great season for you and your team. :chug:

Thanks, man! I'm thrilled. It's quite a story - so much so, in fact, that I think I'm gonna commission Dave to tell my story on my mask. Besides insisting on the gratuitous use of at least 3 distinct types of glitter, I'll just let the Cradle of Creativity take care of the design.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Thanks, man! I'm thrilled. It's quite a story - so much so, in fact, that I think I'm gonna commission Dave to tell my story on my mask. Besides insisting on the gratuitous use of at least 3 distinct types of glitter, I'll just let the Cradle of Creativity take care of the design.

Missing: 👏🖖🏂🤽‍♀️🐕🐕🦁

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Yeah, sure - or that guy. Whatever turns your crank, brother.

(Appropriately for this thread, this is the first time I've ever seen that GIF)

You don't want Aaron Rodgers praying for you? How about these guys instead?

giphy2.gif.bfc32afaff5ad72f2e0ff7c1af2ba2d5.giftenor.gif.051a1906204ad8b06fd78b9356d3dd58.gifgiphy.gif.ba6e6f922cb5f1017d800d8c78d51c60.gif

No? Not working for ya? How about some dancing?

giphy3.gif.d2ba8fb6c92f6401dc582992c15a68de.gifsource.gif.a0119ba46d7f32c983ec8e210791eb27.gifdance11.gif.af8ecffb32c73a72da1808a18cbc2f75.gif

And with that gif dump I'll pull the ol' Dab and Grab

dab.gif.3714403edd845ceb3b71f3146bf5128b.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...