Brian's Pro Palm vs. Stock vs. Practice

Mroy31

Was about to post this in response to @Aquilzz in the show off your gear thread, but figured it would fit better on its own.

Based on the Optik glove I demo'd vs. the Bauer gloves I've had, the Optik felt like the palm was less substantial in terms of padding.  I felt the puck way more on my palm than I've ever been used to. 

Wondering if a "pro palm" at Brian's with extra break in time would approximate what I feel with a well broken in Bauer?  Is Brian's pro palm the same as other practice palms, or something in between stock and practice? 

I wouldn't ever consider getting a Practice palm in the Bauer, that would be waaaay too much overkill, but I felt like I just really felt the puck a little too much in the stock Optik I tried out.  @TheGoalNet has mentioned in other threads that practice palms are overkill for anyone not actually practicing against high caliber shooters, and I agree with that, just wondering if Brian's pro palm is something in the middle?

Note:  I'm asking this mainly because although I love my 2S set, there's something about the Brian's gloves with BOA where I'm considering getting a custom glove at some point.

46 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Was about to post this in response to @Aquilzz in the show off your gear thread, but figured it would fit better on its own.

Based on the Optik glove I demo'd vs. the Bauer gloves I've had, the Optik felt like the palm was less substantial in terms of padding.  I felt the puck way more on my palm than I've ever been used to. 

Wondering if a "pro palm" at Brian's with extra break in time would approximate what I feel with a well broken in Bauer?  Is Brian's pro palm the same as other practice palms, or something in between stock and practice? 

I wouldn't ever consider getting a Practice palm in the Bauer, that would be waaaay too much overkill, but I felt like I just really felt the puck a little too much in the stock Optik I tried out.  @TheGoalNet has mentioned in other threads that practice palms are overkill for anyone not actually practicing against high caliber shooters, and I agree with that, just wondering if Brian's pro palm is something in the middle?

Note:  I'm asking this mainly because although I love my 2S set, there's something about the Brian's gloves with BOA where I'm considering getting a custom glove at some point.

I have not used a Brian's pro palm. All 4 of my Brian's glove were game ready.

I can confirm that both Brian's and CCM said nearly all their guys get game ready gloves.

If I skate 6 times a month, it would be 4 games, 1 pick up, and 1 session with just shooters.

41 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I can confirm that both Brian's and CCM said nearly all their guys get game ready gloves.

If I skate 6 times a month, it would be 4 games, 1 pick up, and 1 session with just shooters.

didnt your old tan genetik set have a beefed up palm?

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

didnt your old tan genetik set have a beefed up palm?

No, that was the stock palm for the day. "Game Ready External Pro Palm". Kind of the like the concept of D30 in the palm but the padding used was too bulky. Didn't quite close right certain times.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

So is a Brian's pro palm the same as other companies practice palm?

26 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

No, that was the stock palm for the day. "Game Ready External Pro Palm". Kind of the like the concept of D30 in the palm but the padding used was too bulky. Didn't quite close right certain times.

ohh 

I've never actually used a pro palm growing up with the exception of a Vaughn 5500 I used for practice when I was on ice 5-6x a week growing up. 

The 2S glove has their Poron in the palm, which definitely helps more than just standard foam. 

While I do get stingers in the Optik palm, there's no puck that makes me feel pain for more than a few seconds. This is very different from the Vaughn and Eflex gloves I've used previously, where I've definitely had that happen. It's just the nature of the game and I'll take the trade-off of better closure. A pro palm Brian's pre-broken in will definitely be usable, but it won't really ever be as snappy as a regular.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:58 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Is it this one? It closes realy hard and... yes it is overkill :D !

DSC_0357[1].JPG

I have 3 subzero gloves (one subzero 2 & two subzero 3). All pro palm. I have no issue with closure once broken in...and I’m female with small hands.  I did have to break them in, just like the “old” days. Work the closure, tie them up, straight out play with them for awhile. The reason I bought pro palms is that I wanted them to last. I don’t want them broken down in a year.  If I’m going to pay $500+ for a glove I want to get several years out of it.  Two of them snap shut no issues, third one is still a work in progress but I’ve put it to the side for now (only purchased it because I heard the subzero line might be discontinued and it’s my favorite glove).

Like almost every aspect of goalie equipment, it comes down to personal preference. 

My current glove is Brian's Optik with practice palm and I haven't had any difficulties with closing it. When compared to my previous glove, 5 years old Bauer RX10 with practice palm, Optik has broken in much quicker. With Bauer, it took almost a couple of years to get the same feeling I have in Optik after a few weeks of use. Also the protection in Optik feels much better, especially in thumb section. Of course it is a little stiffer than game ready or pro palm versions, but I love the protected feeling of it.

Because of my slow hands, the puck doesn't always find its way straight to the pocket and I have received many hard shots to the palm and thumb without problems. Although, nothing is bullet proof and if the puck hits perfectly to the break, it causes a little stinger but nothing serious yet. 

On 1/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, Mroy31 said:

I just got my optik glove with pro palm. Honestly I’ve only used it on the ice 1 day which was about 3 and a half hours in total, didn’t have too many shots to the palm, but I didn’t feel anything. My coach with a fast wrister either sniped me or i caught all them on my glove side in the pocket 😂 for a pro palm it closes so amazingly, not fully closed but still amazing

Archived