Stick sizing advice

Matt30

The time has come again for a new stick, but I think it may be beneficial for me to switch up the paddle size. 

Im 5’4, currently using a 25” paddle. For the last 10 years, I’ve felt a 25” paddle served me perfectly, but now I have my doubts.

Over the last couple of seasons, there’s been a few changes to my game mainly to compensate for injuries and the rigmarole of getting older. My stance is more upright these days, it used to be very low and wide but my hips don’t work like that anymore.

I use white stick tape and I notice more and more that I’m taking the brunt of stick saves closer to the heel of the stick rather than the middle of the blade. Maybe my stance is getting lazy, because on the opposite end of the spectrum, I find myself giving up more goals in between my body and blocker than I ever have.

Now that I know i need to focus more on my stick positioning, should I go with a 24” paddle or possibly a 26”? I just feel like I need to try something different and adapt. I do worry about making my puck handling worse than it already is if I go 26” though, I have t-Rex arms.

Suggestions anyone?

1 hour ago, Matt30 said:

The time has come again for a new stick, but I think it may be beneficial for me to switch up the paddle size. 

Im 5’4, currently using a 25” paddle. For the last 10 years, I’ve felt a 25” paddle served me perfectly, but now I have my doubts.

Over the last couple of seasons, there’s been a few changes to my game mainly to compensate for injuries and the rigmarole of getting older. My stance is more upright these days, it used to be very low and wide but my hips don’t work like that anymore.

I use white stick tape and I notice more and more that I’m taking the brunt of stick saves closer to the heel of the stick rather than the middle of the blade. Maybe my stance is getting lazy, because on the opposite end of the spectrum, I find myself giving up more goals in between my body and blocker than I ever have.

Now that I know i need to focus more on my stick positioning, should I go with a 24” paddle or possibly a 26”? I just feel like I need to try something different and adapt. I do worry about making my puck handling worse than it already is if I go 26” though, I have t-Rex arms.

Suggestions anyone?

Im about 6'3 and I use a 25 or 26 inch, just go to a store and try a couple different sizes, its all about your preference 

what stick are u currently using?

look for a stick that has a blade shape of a boat on the bottom like c.price ccm (retail or pro) or warrior (mzarak wedge).

use 25" in warrior or maybe 25" in ccm in those patterns above.

if possible get foam paddle for now.  

if practice the correct stick motion of an arc and see how much space is under the arm.

if the lie is too low then reshape the paddle shoulders.

after u figure out what works get it duplicated at northstarsticks.com

• 4 months later...

Archived