Bauer Scan Data

TheGoalNet

Here’s the scan data for Bauer over the last year. This is from player skates. 

Supreme Player = Vapor Goal

Vapor Player = Supreme Goal 

Nexus = You need custom! 

My point? The Average person should start with Vapor is ordering online, looking used, etc. 

3 hours ago, dualshowman said:

I figure I'm not understanding why Bauer would have such drastically different fit profiles between goal skates and player skates. Kinda infuriating, actually. 

Same here. If I would know this earlier I would try to buy some Vapors instead of 1S. For me it's just put customers in confusion. They could use different names for goal skates if you did changes in overall fit of the skates.

7 hours ago, dualshowman said:

I figure I'm not understanding why Bauer would have such drastically different fit profiles between goal skates and player skates. Kinda infuriating, actually. 

4 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

Same here. If I would know this earlier I would try to buy some Vapors instead of 1S. For me it's just put customers in confusion. They could use different names for goal skates if you did changes in overall fit of the skates.

It 100% doesn't make sense. The goalie skates also are not in the scanning machines yet. That is coming this summer. Once that comes this summer, many of these issues will go away. The machines will tell people what model to get and take a lot of the guess work out of it

As for why this happened? Bauer didn't always have 2 lines of goal skates. For awhile it just Supreme, then Vapor XXX and Supreme, then just Supreme, then just Pro or Elite, Then Supreme and Reactor, and now Supreme and Vapor

The reality is that with all that change it just sort of evolved this way

Great post! I'm in S190s now which are my first pair of Bauers ever (always wore Graf w/ the excpetion of 1 pair of CCM Tacks)... and while they're a good skate and they fit decently well in the heel and toe box... the extra room towards the top of the boot would be nice. No matter how many methods of tying my laces I've tried... my ankles get sore. Might be looking into 2Xs when available... or just the 1X as they'll be discounted.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

It 100% doesn't make sense. The goalie skates also are not in the scanning machines yet. That is coming this summer. Once that comes this summer, many of these issues will go away. The machines will tell people what model to get and take a lot of the guess work out of it

As for why this happened? Bauer didn't always have 2 lines of goal skates. For awhile it just Supreme, then Vapor XXX and Supreme, then just Supreme, then just Pro or Elite, Then Supreme and Reactor, and now Supreme and Vapor

Well, regardless of Bauer's lack of logic in their approach, I appreciate the clarification and diligence on your part.

10 hours ago, dualshowman said:

It is frustrating.  I ordered 1S's in a EE width and didn't begin to have enough room.  After picking up a few hours here and there at our LHS I found out they can punch boots, and after having that done I FINALLY have enough room.   I never even considered the Vapor line because I just assumed the Supreme was more of a volume fit, and the Vaper was more form fitting, just like the player skates.   

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

You can scan goalie skates too. 

There should be more room in ankle part in Vapor goalie skates than Supreme,  but it doesn´t mean Vapor Goalie = Supreme player.

2 hours ago, Korppi32 said:

You can scan goalie skates too. 

There should be more room in ankle part in Vapor goalie skates than Supreme,  but it doesn´t mean Vapor Goalie = Supreme player.

I did a scan like 6 months and it didn’t have Goalie. 

Bauer told me goalie scans were coming with 2X line 

When did you encounter a scanner with goalie boots?

and fair point on the my “math” not being fully accurate on the fits...

but it’s an easy way to remember that Vapor goal is more generous or if you were Supreme player skates, you might need Vapor goal 

• 5 months later...
On 1/24/2019 at 10:04 AM, Korppi32 said:

Goalie scan came few months ago. But you can´t order custom goalie skates. I think that option will come with 2X

Reviving this old thread to confirm that it is available right now. Ordered custom 2s Pro skates through Pure Hockey last month. I got the pro liner, 2X Pro tongue, and my name and number.

Turns out based on the scan, that I should be wearing 8.25 C (narrow skates) this whole time. I've been wearing 9D's my whole career. Ended up ordering 8.75's Because I don't like my toes touching the end of the skate.

11 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Reviving this old thread to confirm that it is available right now. Ordered custom 2s Pro skates through Pure Hockey last month. I got the pro liner, 2X Pro tongue, and my name and number.

Turns out based on the scan, that I should be wearing 8.25 C (narrow skates) this whole time. I've been wearing 9D's my whole career. Ended up ordering 8.75's Because I don't like my toes touching the end of the skate.

Nice. Glad to hear that’s working. Please post pics when available 

On 7/4/2019 at 1:45 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Nice. Glad to hear that’s working. Please post pics when available 

Lead time was quote at 8-10 weeks. So when they come in around mid-August, I'll be sharing.

Be sure you read up as much as you can before you go in. My store said I was the very first one and they didn't have the process exactly streamlined yet. If you want to see the liner options, they have a sample from the player skates. THe liners are mostly identical from the bottom of the ankle down, you basically just choose if you want the quick drying liner (stock) up top or you want the bottom material to extend all the way up (pro liner). You can choose between felt, standard 2s pro, and 2x pro tongue so look at the display skates for examples of the 2s pro and 2x pro tongues, and the player skate sample for the felt tongue. You can also ask for small adjustments. I hate the ankle wrap on my retail 1s so I asked them to make mine a little tighter, even though the scan accounts for your ankle wrap. Their spreadsheet will not tell you beforehand what size steel you'll be using if you end up in quarter sizes, so be prepared you might end up making some adjustments. If you want to see what the scan is like, here is mine:

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer_custom/a4134392-df5f-470f-9abd-0d5c9c9c3768/?utm_medium=myvemail

If a store tries to charge you for scanning, which is no different and arguably easier than fitting skates, turn around and walk out.

One interesting question is if scans can be taken at one retailer, and then skates ordered at another. When I scanned my feet, there was no scan number or serial so I believe they are locked into the store you actually get the scan done at. If that's the case, no store should be charging for scans, because they're guaranteed the sale.

• 1 month later...

Okay my custom 2s Pro skates just arrived, so here’s the update and pictures I promised. 

The skates come in a fancy box with MyBauer branding. Inside is a note in an envelope with some marketing fluff and your custom specifications in English and French.

SkateLab sized me as a 8.25 C. I’m not a fan of cramped toes so I ordered 8.75 C and I’m glad I did. I suggest going up a quarter or a half size up from what the scan says if it is smaller than the retail size you’re used to.  The two other major options I chose were the Grip liner (or Pro Liner depending on which marketing material you’re looking at) and the Dynamic Flex tongue. 

The Dynamic Flex tongue comes straight off the Vapor skates. I got it because I noticed the stock tongues on my 1S skates were extremely broken down suggesting to me that if it weren’t for my comically narrow feet, the Vapor skate would be more suited to my play style. This makes Bauer’s decision to lock certain features related to play style to certain types of skate fit look baffling. Fortunately we have the custom skate option, but I digress.

The Grip liner I believe essentially replaces the moisture wicking liner in the ankle area (yellow in Supreme, tan or red in Vapor) with the same grey material that’s in the retail footbed liner. I believe this material is called clarino. I don’t know that fast drying in that specific area was of any tangible benefit so I figure I’d try the Grip liner. Supposedly most NHL’ers go with this option. 

The tongue name customization is a standard offering on custom skates. No one will see it under my pads and my skates are never in a pile with other skates where getting them confused is an issue but it looks really cool regardless. I suppose if your pro shop has a jig that will allow them to sharpen the cowlingless goal skates this is a great feature. Mine does not, so once these 5G+ runners get low, I will probably get another pair of Tydans with my name on them. 

My 8.75 skates came with size 9 runners and steel.  I suspect that “quarter” sizes will have the same runner size as the next “half” size up retail model. This is great because I won’t have to adjust for new shorter runners  

You will note on my pictures that the tag that usually has the retail size just says Customized on them. There is a code under the insole which is uninterpretable by anyone but Bauer but I assume this would allow them to identify the custom order and specs, and possibly allow you to order a clone skate. The tag says Made In Canada, which is super nice to see since I believe the last goalie products Bauer offered to the general public that were made in Canada were the 1X gloves still made by JRZ. 

The insole is the standard Form-Fit Pro insole that comes with the retail model. When I purchased them I had planned on swapping them with Speed Plates. However I’ve since learned that Speed Plates exacerbate ankle pronation in guys with collapsed arches like mine (also adding to my ankle pain issue), so I’ll be putting in a pair of Superfeet Yellow that I already have lying around.

I tried them on briefly and I won’t skate again until at least Sunday so you’ll have to wait for my on ice impressions. However the fit so far is phenomenal. There is zero negative space. My only tiny shred of a complaint is this I can feel the sidewall of the toe cap with my little toes which I believe is not due to the custom fitting but with the shorter length. I believe the toe caps are all standard. Time will tell if this becomes an issue. 

Mall the other features have already been covered by @TheGoalNet‘s retail model review. I will make special mention of the additional cushioning in the ankle area which was an enormous problem with me in the 1S. If you have ankle rubbing issues, you need to be in one of Bauer’s “2” series of skates. 

In regards to quality, I didn’t see any issues other than a deep 1/16” gap between the boot and the toe cap. I don’t know if this is a workmanship issue, a result of being in a “quarter” size, or something that happens even in retail models. @TheGoalNet would love to know if you see that same gap in yours. 

My skates took roughly 8.5 weeks to get to my retailer, and then another 2-3 days to me.

As far as initial impressions, I have no regrets. Especially after finding out that my feet are hilariously narrow and any retail size would have left critical negative space on the sides, I’m glad I went custom and would say it’s worth the premium for those of us with snow skis or frying pans for feet. If you’re a more normal aspect ratio and don’t find a need for the pro feature choices, you can save some money and go retail. In either case making a trip to get scanned would be worth it for the peace of mind. In my case I was already in St. Louis for Korn Camp, so it made sense, but I would have made the 4.5 hour drive regardless. If you're in St. Louis and want to get fitted, go see Mike or Bo at the Chesterfield store and they'll take care of you. Since I was their guinea pig, the process should move pretty smoothly for you.

290E6DCC-DF08-45D5-A618-B505E5908328.jpeg

CE8A3E6C-28B3-4232-BBB4-110DBE92BC85.jpeg

5A15B367-C564-4000-B08C-B3A0AC45A99F.jpeg

5129A646-5465-4BC8-8CAF-A89DC110B3B5.jpeg

7ECA3527-980A-4FC5-9E39-EB7F4E807C8C.jpeg

3FDF288E-9054-4BF2-89B3-12616FEB7CEB.jpeg

7AE0EED0-0913-4499-859A-943E38AF084A.jpeg

4D61F19E-2254-4F07-8BAA-C86471E3A208.jpeg

Archived