Bauer Scan Data

TheGoalNet

Okay my custom 2s Pro skates just arrived, so here’s the update and pictures I promised. 

The skates come in a fancy box with MyBauer branding. Inside is a note in an envelope with some marketing fluff and your custom specifications in English and French.

SkateLab sized me as a 8.25 C. I’m not a fan of cramped toes so I ordered 8.75 C and I’m glad I did. I suggest going up a quarter or a half size up from what the scan says if it is smaller than the retail size you’re used to.  The two other major options I chose were the Grip liner (or Pro Liner depending on which marketing material you’re looking at) and the Dynamic Flex tongue. 

The Dynamic Flex tongue comes straight off the Vapor skates. I got it because I noticed the stock tongues on my 1S skates were extremely broken down suggesting to me that if it weren’t for my comically narrow feet, the Vapor skate would be more suited to my play style. This makes Bauer’s decision to lock certain features related to play style to certain types of skate fit look baffling. Fortunately we have the custom skate option, but I digress.

The Grip liner I believe essentially replaces the moisture wicking liner in the ankle area (yellow in Supreme, tan or red in Vapor) with the same grey material that’s in the retail footbed liner. I believe this material is called clarino. I don’t know that fast drying in that specific area was of any tangible benefit so I figure I’d try the Grip liner. Supposedly most NHL’ers go with this option. 

The tongue name customization is a standard offering on custom skates. No one will see it under my pads and my skates are never in a pile with other skates where getting them confused is an issue but it looks really cool regardless. I suppose if your pro shop has a jig that will allow them to sharpen the cowlingless goal skates this is a great feature. Mine does not, so once these 5G+ runners get low, I will probably get another pair of Tydans with my name on them. 

My 8.75 skates came with size 9 runners and steel.  I suspect that “quarter” sizes will have the same runner size as the next “half” size up retail model. This is great because I won’t have to adjust for new shorter runners  

You will note on my pictures that the tag that usually has the retail size just says Customized on them. There is a code under the insole which is uninterpretable by anyone but Bauer but I assume this would allow them to identify the custom order and specs, and possibly allow you to order a clone skate. The tag says Made In Canada, which is super nice to see since I believe the last goalie products Bauer offered to the general public that were made in Canada were the 1X gloves still made by JRZ. 

The insole is the standard Form-Fit Pro insole that comes with the retail model. When I purchased them I had planned on swapping them with Speed Plates. However I’ve since learned that Speed Plates exacerbate ankle pronation in guys with collapsed arches like mine (also adding to my ankle pain issue), so I’ll be putting in a pair of Superfeet Yellow that I already have lying around.

I tried them on briefly and I won’t skate again until at least Sunday so you’ll have to wait for my on ice impressions. However the fit so far is phenomenal. There is zero negative space. My only tiny shred of a complaint is this I can feel the sidewall of the toe cap with my little toes which I believe is not due to the custom fitting but with the shorter length. I believe the toe caps are all standard. Time will tell if this becomes an issue. 

Mall the other features have already been covered by @TheGoalNet‘s retail model review. I will make special mention of the additional cushioning in the ankle area which was an enormous problem with me in the 1S. If you have ankle rubbing issues, you need to be in one of Bauer’s “2” series of skates. 

In regards to quality, I didn’t see any issues other than a deep 1/16” gap between the boot and the toe cap. I don’t know if this is a workmanship issue, a result of being in a “quarter” size, or something that happens even in retail models. @TheGoalNet would love to know if you see that same gap in yours. 

My skates took roughly 8.5 weeks to get to my retailer, and then another 2-3 days to me.

As far as initial impressions, I have no regrets. Especially after finding out that my feet are hilariously narrow and any retail size would have left critical negative space on the sides, I’m glad I went custom and would say it’s worth the premium for those of us with snow skis or frying pans for feet. If you’re a more normal aspect ratio and don’t find a need for the pro feature choices, you can save some money and go retail. In either case making a trip to get scanned would be worth it for the peace of mind. In my case I was already in St. Louis for Korn Camp, so it made sense, but I would have made the 4.5 hour drive regardless. If you're in St. Louis and want to get fitted, go see Mike or Bo at the Chesterfield store and they'll take care of you. Since I was their guinea pig, the process should move pretty smoothly for you.

290E6DCC-DF08-45D5-A618-B505E5908328.jpeg

CE8A3E6C-28B3-4232-BBB4-110DBE92BC85.jpeg

5A15B367-C564-4000-B08C-B3A0AC45A99F.jpeg

5129A646-5465-4BC8-8CAF-A89DC110B3B5.jpeg

7ECA3527-980A-4FC5-9E39-EB7F4E807C8C.jpeg

3FDF288E-9054-4BF2-89B3-12616FEB7CEB.jpeg

7AE0EED0-0913-4499-859A-943E38AF084A.jpeg

4D61F19E-2254-4F07-8BAA-C86471E3A208.jpeg

Edited by goalieThreeOne
Clarity and grammer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Looks good. How much did it run you?

And I'm surprised your local hockey shop doesn't have a jog for cowlingless skates yet. They've only been around for years...

$999.99 is the MSRP in the US

It's a small pro shop in a small rink in a small suburb in the South. There's no need for them to buy it considering there's only about 12 of us that play goalie, and only 2-3 of us have Bauer cowlingless skates. It's also really not that big of a hassle to just pop the runners off and the shop says it's easier to sharpen that way anyhow.

On 8/21/2019 at 10:15 PM, goalieThreeOne said:

In regards to quality, I didn’t see any issues other than a deep 1/16” gap between the boot and the toe cap. I don’t know if this is a workmanship issue, a result of being in a “quarter” size, or something that happens even in retail models.

It's likely a mid/quarter size thing like you said, since the toe caps don't come in partial sizes.  I have a similar gap on both my custom 1S and 2S's, likely also due to a combination of boot size being down to 1/8th sizes and also the toe cap being a +1 size.  Never had any issues related to it on either pair though.

51 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

It's likely a mid/quarter size thing like you said, since the toe caps don't come in partial sizes.  I have a similar gap on both my custom 1S and 2S's, likely also due to a combination of boot size being down to 1/8th sizes and also the toe cap being a +1 size.  Never had any issues related to it on either pair though.

That's good to hear.