- Enjoy the time on the ice
- Learn from other goalies that are there
- Use the time to improve on your own game

On 1/28/2019 at 4:43 PM, Naz said:

Do - stop the puck
Don't - be a douche

On 1/28/2019 at 4:45 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Do what I listed, but just in reverse.

Go out there and try your hardest and be a good teammate.

On 1/28/2019 at 4:50 PM, Matt30 said:

One thing I learned, don’t show frustration, be calm.

If you let in a few bad goals, just laugh it off and keep playing. It’s meant to be fun after all.

If there’s returning goalies, don’t expect to make the team. But if you have a good showing you could get the call of an injury happens. Just be a good team player

On 1/28/2019 at 4:54 PM, TheGoalNet said:

This is seriously the best advise on the thread.

For NCAA D3 in college, I had a coach tell me during the tryout...

"As long I kept the puck out of the net, I don't care what technique you use. You also better not get campus security involved in an extra curricular activities on the weekend"

Unless you have a very savy coach, he won't care if you stop the puck like Hasek or Cary Price. They are probably just going to see if anyone looks like a Sieve.

On the social side, do you know the existing guys on the team? Are you friendly with them? Have you skated with them before?

On 1/28/2019 at 4:55 PM, seagoal said:

Be efficient.  Composed. Calm.  Social.  Friendly.  Appreciative. Humble. Astute.  Responsive to coaching.  Determined

Playing better than the other goalies would help, for sure.  Being a better person is probably more important.  Show them you have the personality to be a good teammate and that you can improve and learn from your mistakes. 

Tell EVERYONE all regulars on here have your back :)

On 1/28/2019 at 5:09 PM, itis121 said:

Just be calm, be confident and play your best.

When I was in high school there was about 6 goalies in my school and grade that showed up for that. About 16 goalies that played for the towns housleauge and then the usual rep goalie pairs for my age group. My dad always told me to pack practice/ blank jerseys (light and dark)so they know who plays lower lvl. Not to discourage but with the amount of goalies that go and tryout there's a fair bit of polotics that follow (At least in my area). One year a housleauge goalie earned the spot and beat a few rep goalies to it, anything could happen.

On 1/28/2019 at 5:17 PM, Mike24 said:

Like Bears coach Matt Nagy has it on his weekly play sheet.  

“Be You”

lots of other good advice here.  

Good luck 

On 1/28/2019 at 5:31 PM, stackem30 said:

Not much to say beyond what others have said, but...

Not sure if there will be an opportunity to display this in a tryout, but one thing that will impress coaches is a willingness to learn and improve. If you get sniped a few times on your right side, practice some half butterflies to that side or something (don't make a big show of it). If they're trying to decide between you and another goalie and they're not particularly hot on either of you, they're going to lean towards the goalie who's willing to put in the work, and try to improve. Show that you possess the will to work and get better. Then when they think about picking you, they'll have a feeling they're not just getting you as you are... they're getting a kid who will be even better a few months from now.

On 1/28/2019 at 5:52 PM, dstew29 said:

You're going to get scored on so just be ready to move on to the next shot. Tryouts are weird because its not all scrimmaging and it can feel like "practice" at certain points given all skating and shooting drills going on. Try to keep a game mentality on the drills portion especially. Scrimmage is easy, it is a game.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, stackem30 said:

Just do your best, man. If you do that, everything else completely out of your control. And there's no point in stressing over what you cannot control. 

On 1/29/2019 at 12:29 AM, Chenner29 said:

Never underestimate the power of a positive mindset. Whether it's in hockey, school, or life.

When discussing your internal monologue, there's a huge difference between "don't screw this up" and "make this save."

On 1/29/2019 at 10:08 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Do not suck
Don't suck

On 1/29/2019 at 10:27 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

In all seriousness, there isn't much to add to this thread at this point.  A lot of solid advice.  Just do your best and try not to get nervous.  If you let in a goal just get set for the next shot.  Make it look like it doesn't bother you but don't be too nonchalant to the point it looks like you don't care either.  Be respectful to the coaches.  Always answer yes coach/no coach, or sir.  Help collect pucks, offer a drink from your bottle if someone needs it, go out of your way to make yourself stand out as a person not just a goalie.  Good luck

On 1/29/2019 at 11:08 AM, BadAngle41 said:

@Max27 I'm probably not saying anything that hasn't been said before... but for what it's worth...

1. Stop the puck. Regardless of how it gets to you, D man made a mistake, great move by a Forward... your first job is stop the puck. Let coach criticize how 
  2. Keep Cool. Something goes in, or you make a great save... treat both the same. Calm and cool.
  3. Communicate. You may not know everyone, upperclassmen etc. doesn't matter. Good communication w/ everyone.
  4. Have Fun, it's contagious. Take a page from Fleury and just be yourself. Don't loose your focus but have fun. How you get along w/ everyone is important. No need to be "that goalie" who guys feel is weird and can't talk to. You love the game and gear, enjoy the experience.
On 1/29/2019 at 4:31 PM, MTH said:

Slipping the coaches some cash never hurts.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:05 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Good luck, Max.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:07 PM, seagoal said:

Awesome, wishing you the best, Max. 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:47 PM, big seven o said:

Awesome! All you can control is your effort, attitude, and performance. It sounds like you took care of business. Hopefully the coach recognizes that and it works out for you. 

Best of luck! 👍🏻

On 5/2/2019 at 6:44 AM, Goalieinneed said:

@Max27 thanks for this thread im also thinking about trying out for a team soon. 

and good luck!

On 5/2/2019 at 7:06 AM, bunnyman666 said:

@Max27 we’re behind you. I have a great feeling!

On 5/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, MTH said:

This was a high school team, right? I'd reach out to the coach. If you didn't make their squad, you may need to do something else (club - or play lacrosse). I'd just shoot an email or text making sure you didn't get missed.

Hopefully you did.

My oldest son is only in 7th grade now, but the middle school tryouts for next year are next week. I know the HS teams are all doing their tryouts now. I also know for him I'll get something that night or the next day.

Even his Tier 1 team took only a day to get the team set. I knew by the day after the last tryout he was good.

It's a High School team - it's not like they are still looking for kids to come in. The pool of players is your high school. Your coaches should have had the team almost set before tryouts.

You playing spring hockey? Either on a tournament team or even a 3v3 league?

On 5/15/2019 at 4:52 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea I remember always finding out that I made the team or not the night of tryouts.  If you don't know yet, Max, you should probably say something to a coach.  In this case, I don't think no news is good news.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:08 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Wow. Y'all are having tryouts already? Travel hockey tryouts aren't until July and high school tryouts aren't until August for us.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:25 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's a weird way of doing it in my opinion.  When I played high school hockey for Sachem we had a tryout for varsity, a tryout for JV, and a tryout for freshman.  Varsity always went first that way players who didn't make the team but were still eligible to play JV were then able to tryout for JV.  Same happen with players who tried for JV but were still eligible for freshman if they didn't make JV.

edit - I assume you tried out for Smithtown?

On 5/16/2019 at 9:41 AM, MTH said:

We're all within the friendly confines of the Atlantic District of USA Hockey. So all teams that are part of USA Hockey and the Atlantic District are subjected to hold tryouts during specified periods. The Pee Wee and lower tryouts were all in March this year. The Bantams and higher were in April. 

They set specific days you can offer contracts for Tier 1, 2 and Independent teams. If clubs do it outside those days they risk getting suspended.

Sounds like in your area, the dates are later.

It's tough to have your kids season end and pretty much jump into tryouts the next day. At the same time, it cuts the pre-tryout window of camps/ private lessons/ parental stress down a lot. My older kid is going into Bantam this year, so the extra month before tryouts was chaos. I think he was at over a dozen different 'pre-skates' and on the ice almost daily leading into tryouts.

But tryouts aren't really a tryout. Teams are pretty much in place in the coaches heads before then.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:44 AM, MTH said:

This is good news. Good luck.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:12 PM, seagoal said:

Jeez, Max.  This is the highest goalie website drama possible, ha.

Good luck my man!

Results are in. 

I didn't make it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

Sorry to hear that, Max.  Was this for JV or Varsity?

Thanks.

It was for JV

This lit a fire under me. Ive woken up at 3:30 AM every Monday for 2 months to go practice before school and I worked till i got sick, and then kept working. Im not going to stop working until my dream goal i set for myself is accomplished- to play for my school team. I have 1 more chance after this and ill work twice as hard next year.

3 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Thanks.

It was for JV

This lit a fire under me. Ive woken up at 3:30 AM every Monday for 2 months to go practice before school and I worked till i got sick, and then kept working. Im not going to stop working until my dream goal i set for myself is accomplished- to play for my school team. I have 1 more chance after this and ill work twice as hard next year.

Are you young enough for the freshman team?

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Shit - sorry to hear that dude. 

Thanks. Worked really hard for this.

44 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Sorry Max, I was hoping the best for you.

But, your attitude towards improvement and making it next time is great. 

The most important save you'll make is the next one.  Keep looking forward.

Thanks. 

18 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Do they still have pools for schools that don't have enough players to fill a team?  I'm pretty sure back in my day that existed.  Maybe you can jump on with another school?

Yeah, the draft. I registered for it today. It takes place in September though.

Sorry to hear you didn't make the cut. I saw a sign somewhere recently "Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn". Use the experience to learn for the next time you try out for a team.

What was your impression during the tryouts? Did you feel like you had a good chance? How were you compared to the other goalies? IIRC didn't you just start playing in goal somewhat recently? If you were up against guys who have been playing for a much longer time,  realistically the chances would be very slim for you to make it. (Not saying you shouldn't try tho! ;) ) In any case, your dedication and determination is great, keep it up. But keep in mind it takes years of work, things don't usually happen suddenly overnight. Set your goals accordingly.

Sorry, Max. It's encouraging to see that you're responding by doubling down on training to meet your goals, because that is truly the best way to handle these things. And it works.

I played high school varsity all four years. My freshman year, I mostly backed up a senior goalie — at the end of the season, the coach told me "it's your net now." I was pretty pleased at the prospect of being handed the keys to the crease for 3 years. My sophomore season ended up being a huge disappointment — our team had a mediocre start, and I started losing time to a very talented freshman goalie. By the end of the season, I was sitting on the bench more often than starting. 

It was a huge setback — I had always thought that I was essentially guaranteed to be my town's starting goalie for at least 3 years (something that meant the world to me), and now I was sitting on the bench in front of my classmates for Friday night home games, trying to support my team and fight back the urge to resent my coach, the freshman goalie, etc. It was a humiliating and humbling experience, one that I ended up writing my college essay about. It was the biggest personal setback I'd come across at that point in my life.

*80's training montage ensues*

I spent the entire spring and summer playing hockey and working out, determined to get my spot back. I stretched in the mornings, did weight and agility exercises I'd read in the back of Goalies' World Magazine (RIP), and I attended as many goalie clinics and camps as my parents could sponsor. I decided that when the next season started, I was going to give them no choice but to give me my job back. That's how it went, and our team ended up having the best season in our history, winning the division championship, and getting bumped up into New Jersey's highest division of public school hockey. I also was ranked among the county's Top 10 goalies that year, and was given a captaincy by the end of the year.

None of this is supposed to come off as an excruciating humble brag (ancient history, 2005) — I just wanted to say that I know the feeling, and assert my belief that if you really focus on putting in the work, doors will open. The NHL is littered with hundreds of stories of guys being cut, demoted, told they would never make the NHL, etc. People have an incredible capacity for turning failures and disappointment into triumph.

Chin up. Don't take it personally. Let it motivate you. Learn from it. Work harder. You can do it, Max.

5 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Sorry to hear you didn't make the cut. I saw a sign somewhere recently "Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn". Use the experience to learn for the next time you try out for a team.

What was your impression during the tryouts? Did you feel like you had a good chance? How were you compared to the other goalies? IIRC didn't you just start playing in goal somewhat recently? If you were up against guys who have been playing for a much longer time,  realistically the chances would be very slim for you to make it. (Not saying you shouldn't try tho! ;) ) In any case, your dedication and determination is great, keep it up. But keep in mind it takes years of work, things don't usually happen suddenly overnight. Set your goals accordingly.

I felt i had a good chance. There was only 5 goalies in my age group trying out for both JV and Varsity. They, for whatever reason *politics* let a freshman goalie who didnt try out for the team get on *bc his dads the coach*

As for when I started, Ive played hockey for fun forever, but didnt start playing competitive till 7th grade. I never switched to ice until 2 years ago though. Wish I started hockey as a baby. Id be way better off now

57 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Sorry, Max. It's encouraging to see that you're responding by doubling down on training to meet your goals, because that is truly the best way to handle these things. And it works.

I played high school varsity all four years. My freshman year, I mostly backed up a senior goalie — at the end of the season, the coach told me "it's your net now." I was pretty pleased at the prospect of being handed the keys to the crease for 3 years. My sophomore season ended up being a huge disappointment — our team had a mediocre start, and I started losing time to a very talented freshman goalie. By the end of the season, I was sitting on the bench more often than starting. 

It was a huge setback — I had always thought that I was essentially guaranteed to be my town's starting goalie for at least 3 years (something that meant the world to me), and now I was sitting on the bench in front of my classmates for Friday night home games, trying to support my team and fight back the urge to resent my coach, the freshman goalie, etc. It was a humiliating and humbling experience, one that I ended up writing my college essay about. It was the biggest personal setback I'd come across at that point in my life.

*80's training montage ensues*

I spent the entire spring and summer playing hockey and working out, determined to get my spot back. I stretched in the mornings, did weight and agility exercises I'd read in the back of Goalies' World Magazine (RIP), and I attended as many goalie clinics and camps as my parents could sponsor. I decided that when the next season started, I was going to give them no choice but to give me my job back. That's how it went, and our team ended up having the best season in our history, winning the division championship, and getting bumped up into New Jersey's highest division of public school hockey. I also was ranked among the county's Top 10 goalies that year, and was given a captaincy by the end of the year.

None of this is supposed to come off as an excruciating humble brag (ancient history, 2005) — I just wanted to say that I know the feeling, and assert my belief that if you really focus on putting in the work, doors will open. The NHL is littered with hundreds of stories of guys being cut, demoted, told they would never make the NHL, etc. People have an incredible capacity for turning failures and disappointment into triumph.

Chin up. Don't take it personally. Let it motivate you. Learn from it. Work harder. You can do it, Max.

Thank you for the positive words. Im going to be a junior next year so i have 1 more year left to try. If I get cut both years Im gonna be very pissed.

Stinks man. I've been cut from several teams in my life. It's tough to take.

I'm sure you'll be able to find some other team to jump on. Hard work pays off. But most of all, just enjoy playing... anywhere. And not let a team that didn't take you consume you. You'll be ok.

I'd look for a club hockey team to play with and practice. Keep working with your goalie coach. 

But I'd too try to get onto another school sport. Fall is soccer, football, cross country, etc. You'll enjoy doing that with your friends from school. Just being on a school team is more important than the actual sport; you only get 4 years in high school, do as much as you can. 

All us old folks will tell you that they wished they did more stuff while in high school (good and bad - ha ha).

My kids play tons of sports. I have them doing that for many reasons, but one reason is help offset the highs and lows in one sport. Baseball team stinks? Oh well, you have hockey camp next week. This way they don't have the down time to worry about playing time in one specific sport.

Buddy of mine - his son when he got to high school - after a whole lifetime of playing AAA hockey - didn't make the HS team. So he decided to join the surf club (I'm in South Jersey). Loves it. Dad tells me how much they do for the surf team. 

The kid still plays club hockey, but not AAA. So he has more time to surf and play tennis for the HS team too.

Roll with it.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Stinks man. I've been cut from several teams in my life. It's tough to take.

I'm sure you'll be able to find some other team to jump on. Hard work pays off. But most of all, just enjoy playing... anywhere. And not let a team that didn't take you consume you. You'll be ok.

Yeah, i hope so.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

I'd look for a club hockey team to play with and practice. Keep working with your goalie coach. 

But I'd too try to get onto another school sport. Fall is soccer, football, cross country, etc. You'll enjoy doing that with your friends from school. Just being on a school team is more important than the actual sport; you only get 4 years in high school, do as much as you can. 

All us old folks will tell you that they wished they did more stuff while in high school (good and bad - ha ha).

My kids play tons of sports. I have them doing that for many reasons, but one reason is help offset the highs and lows in one sport. Baseball team stinks? Oh well, you have hockey camp next week. This way they don't have the down time to worry about playing time in one specific sport.

Buddy of mine - his son when he got to high school - after a whole lifetime of playing AAA hockey - didn't make the HS team. So he decided to join the surf club (I'm in South Jersey). Loves it. Dad tells me how much they do for the surf team. 

The kid still plays club hockey, but not AAA. So he has more time to surf and play tennis for the HS team too.

Roll with it.

Im going to join another team for the summer, and continue to work with my goalie coach

As for other sports, Its funny. Ive tried essentially every sport to find one that A.) im somewhat good at and B.) enjoy playing it. I played soccer, tennis, baseball, soccer, and i was on the middle school track team. I ended up quitting every single one. I started hockey in the second half of middle school, loved it, and stuck with it. Plus, not sure if my parents would be ok with me playing another sport. I played on 3 different teams up till abt a month ago, for a month and a half i was working w my goalie coach 3 times a week ontop of the 3 teams, Plus, i have 2 younger brothers who also play hockey. Ill see what I can do, though.

10 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

@Max27 You are on the right track. Make them regret that you were cut.

Thanks. Ill make them regret it.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:18 AM, Max27 said:

I felt i had a good chance. There was only 5 goalies in my age group trying out for both JV and Varsity. They, for whatever reason *politics* let a freshman goalie who didnt try out for the team get on *bc his dads the coach*

Ah, ugh.

Well, that's life my friend.  Fairness is always hypothetical and you 'll never completely escape some version of this type of stuff. 

It's all about how we respond.  We can play the victim card or the motivation card and it sounds like you are on the right track.

9 hours ago, seagoal said:

Ah, ugh.

Well, that's life my friend.  Fairness is always hypothetical and you 'll never completely escape some version of this type of stuff. 

It's all about how we respond.  We can play the victim card or the motivation card and it sounds like you are on the right track.

Im not gonna complain about it, nor am i trying to play the victim card. If they dont want me, i don't want to play for them. I want to play in front of a team and coaching staff that believes in me, and evidently, this team isnt. Whatever team takes me im going to prove to that the team I tried out for was wrong to not take me. 

Archived