Graf DM1080 vs Bauer/True

Has anyone ever had all of these skates in their hands or preferably on their feet that could give a good comparison as to how stiff the Grafs are when compared to the Bauer S/X lines and the True skates?  I wanna try to get into a cowlingless skate but I've always had a hard time with how stiff modern boots are.  Granted, anything is going to be stiff to me when coming from a Bauer Supreme 7000 boot.

4 hours ago, RichMan said:

I find that anything today with less or no cowling is very stiff compared to the old Supreme slippers. I'm really aching to try the DM series.

Oh yea I know they're all going to be stiff when compared to my beautiful 7000s lol.  I just know I would never be able to wear, or want to pay, for the True skates.  I've held the Bauers but never had them on my feet.  Hoped that the Grafs might be a little more forgiving.

18 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@maxtm30 @TGC-Rance @thebigm - anytime have feedback on this? 

Our shop doesn't hold the Graf line.

From my studies in mechanical engineering however, True and Bauer have much much more means to develop their custom tech, and in my opinion, True's tech and materials allow for a much better custom fit. Bauer gets the Curv comp, sheets from Propex, the company that developped Curv in the first place, so all of the skate quarters are produced in normalized size, so the skate's size is a full or half point, whatever is closest to your right/left foot. True skates do not have the performance advantages that the Bauers have, however the make the carbon weave themselves and mold it on a "3D printed footmold" (that might be wrong, it just seems the easiest way to go around the mold production from a 3D scan), so the size of the quarter is adapted to your foot. 

If you've had graf in the past, I'd go with True.
The myBauer fit is exceptionnal, and they officially launch the custom goalie skates this summer with the 2X Pro.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'd assume those wouldn't be safe to wear without a cowling?

My understanding is that Bauer would NOT recommend an old model without the cowling. 

I belive Graf claims they’ve always had an over engineered toe cap and it’s fine without a cowling. 

Brent Woods works for Vaughn and shared this 

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

My understanding is that Bauer would NOT recommend an old model without the cowling. 

I belive Graf claims they’ve always had an over engineered toe cap and it’s fine without a cowling. 

Brent Woods works for Vaughn and shared this 

Yea I meant the Grafs.  I wouldn't wear the 7000s without a cowling lol.  Not unless I sent them to Schroder.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'd assume those wouldn't be safe to wear without a cowling?

750s, no. The 7500 utilized Curv composite right around the time Bauer bought the license, or something like that - it was pulled from retail relatively quickly and with little warning. So the 7500 could go cowlingless as evidenced by pics above. 

25 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

750s, no. The 7500 utilized Curv composite right around the time Bauer bought the license, or something like that - it was pulled from retail relatively quickly and with little warning. So the 7500 could go cowlingless as evidenced by pics above. 

So they're probably just as stiff as the Bauers then.  Oh well.

@SaveByRichter35I can't imagine that 1080s aren't stiff. I mean breaking in 750s was certainly a process given how stiff they were and that was just layers of leather and a mess of stitching. Which is also why they wore so well. 

I ended up throwing Vertexx holders to my 750s... pitch between the 750s and Bauers was similar and felt comfy. Assuming DM1080 has the same pitch no reason you couldn't just buy the boot and either do the same or slap on a Vertexx Edge holder like @TheGoalNet posted above. I later became a convert to cowlingless in S190s. The main difference I felt between S190s and 750s w/ Vertexx (besides weight) was that there was more flex at the attachment points from boot to holder in the Grafs. I didn't get that same solid feel or energy transfer but the Vertexx holders were a good transition for me from Graf w/ Cobra Cowling to S190 Cowlingless (for both change in attack angle and steel width.)

456082038_Graf750wVertexx.thumb.jpg.58eddfa9e9744bce79cb4f411606a0a0.jpg

• 3 months later...

I went from grafs back in 04 to bauer vapers 2018 model. I find that they don't seem to hold an edge at all. I used to use 3/8 now i went to 1/4 and I still feel like there isn't enough bite anymore. Did they change the type of steel between this time frame? Has anyone else noticed this at all? I also despise the blade holder as I can always feel the blade move slightly as a rock my foot. If I had the money I would switch back to grafs instantly myself.

On 2/3/2019 at 3:09 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Maybe go custom? Order something like this with their new no cowling and the new toe cap ( if it changed? Don’t think it did )

"Retro"? I'm still wearing G50's,  LOL. Ok, I mounted them on a newer cowling with Step Steel, but anyway. Yea, classic Graf slippers.

IMG_20190529_1919485.jpg

3 hours ago, estogoalie said:

"Retro"? I'm still wearing G50's,  LOL. Ok, I mounted them on a newer cowling with Step Steel, but anyway. Yea, classic Graf slippers.

IMG_20190529_1919485.jpg

According Vaughn / Graf, it's safe to mount these on a now cowling holder. Could be an option for your next skate.

Archived