TGN Spec X GNetik IV Initial Impressions

On 2/11/2019 at 11:46 PM, Aquilzz said:

Tried it with your idea and with extra tension on the bungie today but it actually felt worse! It's weird because it still plays really well, but it has a terrible feel to it. 

My next theory is to just suck it up and do the strapping at the knee.I feel like better pad feel will stop more pucks than a fraction of a second faster seal. I will also try skate lace with a slack as a last resort.

You want LESS tension on the bungee. Did you end up ordering the Pro Laces hybrid?

If not, I think @BadAngle41 has a mod that will allow you to use your Brian's elastic toe ties and get more slack

Also, I wore P2 again yesterday.

I think GNetikIV is brian's best sealing pad to date, but I think I can understand your concerns better now. I had 0 complains when using IVs, but after going back to P2, I would say P2 is an A for strapping and for how the bad just naturally rotates. I would give the IV a B+. It's good, but I could see discerning people have a couple nit picks

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

You want LESS tension on the bungee. Did you end up ordering the Pro Laces hybrid?

If not, I think @BadAngle41 has a mod that will allow you to use your Brian's elastic toe ties and get more slack

I think GNetikIV is brian's best sealing pad to date, but I think I can understand your concerns better now. I had 0 complains when using IVs, but after going back to P2, I would say P2 is an A for strapping and for how the bad just naturally rotates. I would give the IV a B+. It's good, but I could see discerning people have a couple nit picks

@Aquilzz... link below to what @TheGoalNet was alluding to...

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

@Aquilzz... link below to what @TheGoalNet was alluding to...

Yep, ordered, tried and loved the Hybrid. Solved the issue I was having with over-rotation. I ordered the 2" version, but am also tempted to order the 1.5" and see which performs better. I don't in-set my toes.

And I agree with you, the P2/SLR strapping method is definitely the best out there. I think the new smart strap is a big upgrade over last year's X strap (and leg channel) in terms of responsiveness, but I can't find that perfect "pad is a part of your leg" connection like on those models. Too loose and there's no responsiveness, too tight and it causes the pad to rotate awkwardly. I am tempted to order those Kenesky Professor Strap attachments and see how they feel. Worst case, I am out $60 which is FAR off from two grand, but best case, I find the perfect attachment for a close to perfect pad.

The pros of the Brian's vastly out weigh the cons. Like you said, they seal perfectly even with the tapered boot, rebounds are super hard, yet controlled for a soft pad (second to 1X I'd say, but even the 1X is a harder pad) and all the primo reinforcements as well as their foams make it probably the most durable from the major brands.

I'm actually starting to have issues with my Optik glove. I changed my glove position to a more aggressive "fingers at 12" position as I kept getting beat high glove, but the way the Optik closes and its shape, I've been getting a ton of pop outs if the puck does not go straight into the pocket.

I am in talks with Rance to order a two piece Gnetik glove, as I'd say the "590 style" closure is better for fingers up. I'll mod the fingers to be more of a baseball style (like the Optiks). May also rip off a few TGN specs and order a Nash T as well as I find I get pop outs too if it hits the tip of the T. Two piece because no one piece glove I've tried on ice (from CCM/Bauer/Brian's) gives me the wrist flexibility I am comfortable with after about 17 years in a Vaughn glove.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

@TheGoalNetSo being Brian's is the king of custom, will they modify the strapping?  Say you want something to be more similar to the p4, would they accommodate that?

They will... Likely an upcharge.  Anderson still used(or may still use) leather straps on his Brians pads:

cut.thumb.jpg.d78e49c231bdc86b88872837c3c83fdc.jpg

18 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

@TheGoalNetSo being Brian's is the king of custom, will they modify the strapping?  Say you want something to be more similar to the p4, would they accommodate that?

They would, you just need to define it. Saying "I want P4 strapping" is not the way to order.

Saying, I want traditional calf cradle and wraps with 3 leather straps would work.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:54 AM, TheGoalNet said:

They would, you just need to define it. Saying "I want P4 strapping" is not the way to order.

Saying, I want traditional calf cradle and wraps with 3 leather straps would work.

Thanks.  I wouldn't say it like that to Brian's, I was just using it as an example.  

How have you found the glove comfort? When I tried it on in the store, it was a nice snappy closure, but I could really feel the plates/hinges that they use to get the two different break options against my palm and it was quite awkward feeling.

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2019 at 11:12 AM, Teezle said:

How have you found the glove comfort? When I tried it on in the store, it was a nice snappy closure, but I could really feel the plates/hinges that they use to get the two different break options against my palm and it was quite awkward feeling.

I found the thumb a bit stiff out of the box. My hand hurt a bit from closure. After a skate, everything settled and it's perfect now. I think the glove just needs a very small 2-3 skate break in period.

• 1 month later...

I added the optional lower calf strap, like Halak wears, as a professor strap and these felt unreal yesterday. I hate to say it, but I think I am just a professor strap guy.

I was also very impressed with how fast these pads slid. After not using Opti-Slide for awhile, I came to re-appreciate it as the best.

On 5/29/2019 at 4:18 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I added the optional lower calf strap, like Halak wears, as a professor strap and these felt unreal yesterday. I hate to say it, but I think I am just a professor strap guy.

I was also very impressed with how fast these pads slid. After not using Opti-Slide for awhile, I came to re-appreciate it as the best.

Can you post a picture of this?

Archived