Suspender buttons

Teezle

What pants have the best suspender button durability? Alternatively, what is the best way to patch up a broken suspender button? It's not just that they've come loose from the material and could be sewed back in - the metal button itself has broken into two pieces.

15 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Make sure to remove your suspenders after each game to dry. I used to leave the suspenders on and the rubber material would hold water/moisture against the buttons and would cause them to erode away and snap in half.

That is probably what happened, although I've been doing this forever and this is the first time. Good catch - I'll take my suspenders off afterward now.

• 5 months later...

I still use my Itech hp pro pants. The buttons rusted off a long time ago. I'm lazy and usually go for the quick fix ala skate lace. Works. Pants are showing a lot of wear n tear now and there's cracked plastic on the inside of one of the thighs. 

On 2/5/2019 at 4:41 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Make sure to remove your suspenders after each game to dry. I used to leave the suspenders on and the rubber material would hold water/moisture against the buttons and would cause them to erode away and snap in half.

I could see that on the rubber bits. I keep my Browns on all the time with no ill effect, as the leather is thinner and does not rest on the vulnerable parts of the button.

The buttons are not all that sophisticated, as on the rivet side, it is a grooved nail and the button side, there are two pieces that catch when you hit the top with a mallet, so I can EASILY see how leaving a braces rubber (I think of lacy things holding up a girl’s stockings when I hear “suspenders”) could help rust out a button; it doesn’t help that they are not made nearly as well as they were 25 years ago, either. I have had them either explode or work themselves through the nylon. If you are reinstalling buttons, a piece of leather on both sides will aid in keeping them together, not unlike what Vaughn does on their pants. That is still a reason why I think Vaughn senior pants are  a great value. 

Bought a set of buttons from a local fabric shop (FabricLand) and installed them with a mallet per @bunnyman666 comment. These were stainless, so not too worried about rusting. Since I installed the suspender loops after adding the buttons I have not removed  them (the loops) at any time to avoid rusting. That was probably two seasons ago or more and no issues to date.

• 6 months later...

Archived