Identify This Mask

Ertl35

I found this mask up for sale, the seller does not remember the base make and model (it's custom-made apparently), so I'm hoping you fine people will be able to help. At first glance I thought it was a Warwick, after further research I think it may be a Coveted, but I'm not 100% sure.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 1.47.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 8.49.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 8.49.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 8.49.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 8.49.46 AM.png

Can you get a better shot of it from a side view? That Dangler is also hiding the shape a a bit to me. It looks to be a fresh refurb as well-The cage may not be original to it with that being said. I kind of think it could be a Gary Hanson built mask, Hextall wore one briefly with Quebec and Wade Flaherty wore one as well way back when. A better picture of it from the side may yield a better answer. (Also ask him if he had it refurbbed) if it's a Hanson give him the $400 and run.

gettyimages-147492674-1024x1024.jpg

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

My guess is something from Simmons

That was my first thought, but I know the Simmons / Van Velden masks  pretty well, and there are a few things that don't quite line up as far as I can tell. I could definitely be wrong.

I wondered if it might be a Heaton (look at BC30's post at the bottom of this old GSBB page), but I think the ridges (particularly the ones all the way on the side, above the ear) don't really match. The mask you posted has the sides pretty 'flush' with the crown, if that makes sense.

I would agree that unless you know exactly what you're buying, $400 US is way too much for that mask. You can get a custom-fit Protechsport for less, assuming you don't need the mask immediately. 

• 3 weeks later...

dstew29 - pretty sure that one is a promask 

https://www.promask.com/en/

seem to recall them being branded as Reebok in Europe early on

Ertl35 - based on the top of the cage, shape and the obvious full layer of kevlar from the visible frayed edge - i'm going to guess a promasque that's been repadded on the inside to lose the air bladder (definitely not a Warwick or Coveted)

http://promasque.com/index2.htm 

that's my best stab (disclaimer - i don't own one so i might not be the subject matter expert) - if not that my next guess would be some weird one-off

It's strange to me that someone would spend a couple hundred dollars on a "custom" item and not know, or forget the make or model.  I definitely would not pay $400 for it.

The fact that it's missing any kind of identifying badging makes this even more suspicious.

8 hours ago, chile57 said:

i'm going to guess a promasque that's been repadded on the inside to lose the air bladder

I think all modern Promasques have five ridges as opposed to the standard three ridges pretty much all other masks use. They also usually only have one vent over each ear. I could be completely wrong though...

On 2/7/2019 at 7:53 AM, stackem30 said:

That was my first thought, but I know the Simmons / Van Velden masks  pretty well, and there are a few things that don't quite line up as far as I can tell. I could definitely be wrong.

I wondered if it might be a Heaton (look at BC30's post at the bottom of this old GSBB page), but I think the ridges (particularly the ones all the way on the side, above the ear) don't really match. The mask you posted has the sides pretty 'flush' with the crown, if that makes sense.

I would agree that unless you know exactly what you're buying, $400 US is way too much for that mask. You can get a custom-fit Protechsport for less, assuming you don't need the mask immediately. 

100% a Simmons / Van Velden there was a post in that thread about how the Heaton mask at the single mask screw on the bottom of the mask and the Simmons one has 2 screws on their mask. I just spent 10-15 min searching for it but i gave up.

AD926C35-6FFC-4EC3-BABE-A10213E096D2.thumb.jpeg.ff5960cfb08be621e8567c27a462931d.jpeg

2 hours ago, craig said:

I think all modern Promasques have five ridges as opposed to the standard three ridges pretty much all other masks use. They also usually only have one vent over each ear. I could be completely wrong though...

Correct, def not a Promasque. The side profile is more linear from cheek to chin as well.

• 1 year later...

The mask in question is not a Gary Hanson Mask, unless he redesigned years later. 
I do have a Gary Hanson mask and the chin is flat under the cage. . Most other masks have a curvature to accommodate larger chin cup. Gary’s masks used a traditional white padded Football Chin Strap that I wore in College in the early 80’s. 

Archived