How Much Do Goalies Matter?

estogoalie

11 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

A goalie on a pro contract is a goddamn freak of nature.

This is so true.  And honestly, it's the little, subtle, minute things they routinely do that they learn from endless hours of practice and coaching and spending hours and hours and hours on goalie specific techniques and biomechanics.

That's really the stuff that most rec/beer league goalies never get and thus what's holding them back from even improvements whatsoever, less so from being a great goalie. 

It's not athleticism or making great saves or being good at stopping pucks.  Guys like us have that in spades. 

It's all the stuff we don't see on highlight reels or greatest goalie videos that make great, pro goalies what they are.

This is why I watch so many The Goalie Dr. videos on Youtube and dream about spending two weeks in Philly with him.  Just having an opportunity to work on getting better is so tough to come by.

5 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I think the average save percentage have gone up almost every year in the league barring this year; yet players are much faster now than they were in the 90s and even 2000s. Why is that?  A goalie on a pro contract is a goddamn freak of nature.

... and what was the average height & weight of  goalie in the '90s vs.today?

3 minutes ago, Colander said:

... and what was the average height & weight of  goalie in the '90s vs.today?

I would ballpark 5’11 to 6’ and 190 lbs in the 90s to 6’2 and 225 lbs today. 

Are you suggesting that modern goalies aren’t faster, stronger, and better trained today than they were 20 years ago? 

1 minute ago, Colander said:

Certainly better trained, and have the advantage of the lightest and most technologically superior equipment ever.

On the other hand, when you can touch one foot to each post, or your shoulders are at the crossbar...

Sure, but player average height increased over the same amount of time, and enhancements have been made to player stick technology.  

The game was opened up to mitigate the neutral zone trap and reduce clutch and grab style hockey...

I don't know how much player height would come into play, but on the other hand for the most part they don't use an artificial height limit to weed out forwards they way they do goalies.

Stick technology has had more of the effect of increasing the number of players that can hit a certain speed with their shot - in the '60s they had one Bobby Hull, now each team has 5 or 6

Sorry @estogoalie - I think we we have gotten off topic here...

On 2/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, seagoal said:

You guys find it more difficult to play up or down?  Let's say you're  Div. 4.  Is it more difficult to play Div. 2 or 6?

So I pay in a 35+ league that each team is comprised of 2 lines. 1st lines are guys that grew up playing; Prep school, NCAA D1,D3, Juniors, some retired professionals( the Leach brothers played a few seasons). 2nd lines are primarily guys that learned to skate after age 30 and the older guys who don't move so well any more but still love the game.Teams do a really good job of line matching during the game and rarely will 2nd liners get abused by 1st line. So every couple of minutes the game changes completely. Most challenging hockey I've ever played.

On 2/12/2019 at 11:03 PM, seagoal said:

This is so true.  And honestly, it's the little, subtle, minute things they routinely do that they learn from endless hours of practice and coaching and spending hours and hours and hours on goalie specific techniques and biomechanics.

That's really the stuff that most rec/beer league goalies never get and thus what's holding them back from even improvements whatsoever, less so from being a great goalie. 

It's not athleticism or making great saves or being good at stopping pucks.  Guys like us have that in spades. 

It's all the stuff we don't see on highlight reels or greatest goalie videos that make great, pro goalies what they are.

This is why I watch so many The Goalie Dr. videos on Youtube and dream about spending two weeks in Philly with him.  Just having an opportunity to work on getting better is so tough to come by.

I was thinking exactly along these lines the other day. The difference between a good goalie and a great goalie is getting into the very small details that most probably don't even notice. For example, when you improve from say a save % of .70 to .90 that's a big and noticeable difference, and can usually be reached by improving on basics and fundamentals. But going from .90 to .92 doesn't look like much, but it's actually more difficult to get there because when you get into that realm of very minute details, which is pretty much endless, it opens a whole new world.

Archived