Foot pain in new skates

Max27

Thank you very much Aquilzz. I will try that with the laces. I bought them used them a few times then a variety of things kept me from being able to play regularly. So they still feel new to me. And yes the 4000's sorry.. the blue n white ones. 

Played last friday night and walking out felt ok and skating was fine but walking back ... oh man it hurt. the toe cap on the left skate and side of the right skate. That was one thing i thought of too .. foot warms up and expands in there. 

Thank you 

i ended up baking them and just using them as much as possible and they have gotten a lot better. Im still going to get new ones but i dont have any super big issues with them anymore. i think the vapor boot would likely fit my foot better. 

I loosened up the laces to the bottom last night and it helped a lot. Maybe overdid it a bit but it felt better. Now the only thing is big toe is right against toe cap. Really uncomfortable.  I try to get my heel seated as far back as possible by kicking it down. I hope these will get better over time. 

They feel rockered too. Frustrating. Tempted to put new holders n steel on my old KOHO 580 boots 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Scythe said:

Played yesterday and the skates are starting to feel a lot better. I was surprised how nicely they slipped on. They're clicky while walking. What causes that? 

I notice that in my S27s. lmk if you find a fix to it

• 5 weeks later...

Dude obviously baking them was a no brainer - but you should also get fitted for good insoles. Bought a pair of Bauer 2S skates for my son earlier this year obviously got them baked I also installed a pair of Superfeet ! 

Son started complaining about the comfort level of his skates - went to the best skate store in Montreal, they specialize in skates for both figure skating and hockey. The store manager recommended either custom insoles or fitted insoles, upon reviewing his feet a pair of Sidas off the shelf insoles where recommended.

To all after using superfeet for 7 years, never again, these insoles are too stiff. If you look at how you foot works the arch of your foot flexes and goes from arched to flat which the Sidas soles allow your foot to do, they are flexible in that section.

15 hours ago, Big2 said:

Dude obviously baking them was a no brainer - but you should also get fitted for good insoles. Bought a pair of Bauer 2S skates for my son earlier this year obviously got them baked I also installed a pair of Superfeet ! 

Son started complaining about the comfort level of his skates - went to the best skate store in Montreal, they specialize in skates for both figure skating and hockey. The store manager recommended either custom insoles or fitted insoles, upon reviewing his feet a pair of Sidas off the shelf insoles where recommended.

To all after using superfeet for 7 years, never again, these insoles are too stiff. If you look at how you foot works the arch of your foot flexes and goes from arched to flat which the Sidas soles allow your foot to do, they are flexible in that section.

On the same token, if you have collapsed arches like I do, even moderate amounts of arch in your insole will cause your ankles to pronate in your stance. Flatter insoles like superfeet can help mitigate that.  

15 hours ago, Big2 said:

I too am a Superfeet fan... but in my latest pair of 2X Pro skates I found the the slight elevation of the heel by the Superfeet insoles didn't allow for the same locked in feel at the heel in particular. I tried throwing in a pair of Bauer's Speed Plates to get a more custom feel... but actually came back to the stock insoles. 

• 1 month later...

My Bauer Reactor 4000 skates are a work in progress. The latest issue is big toe right foot making contact with toe cap. Result is a dull pain which make tip of toe sore.

A figure skater mentioned Zentoes. They have an application for just about any kind of pain you can think of.  I ordered a pack of these caps to try out. Will report after next skate. 

A

68c72089-b535-4e0d-bdc3-0d55dc0d1032_1.57bda820419e10964eecef01a663c18b.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally tried out the Zentoes last Friday. They work well. No pain before during or after the skate. The only thing that i felt like i noticed was the toe box of the skate feeling a tad more cramped. After a few minutes though you forget you're wearing it. 

Archived