Best chest protector?

Zach_the_mac31

2 hours ago, Zach_the_mac31 said:

I'm looking to buy a new chest and arm protector because my current model is getting run down. I've been looking for a while and I've heard good things about Vaughn, CCM premier pro and passeau chests. Can anyone tell me which ones the best and the exact model?

You are going to get a ton of different answers on this one because a chest protector is highly Personal 

Can you give us an idea of what your most important items are? 

Budget, weight, looking big Vs streamlined, would you wait for custom, etc

thanks

25 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

You are going to get a ton of different answers on this one because a chest protector is highly Personal 

thanks

True true. Some people would say the old Cooper separate chest and arms lol.

Yes- a guy whom I play with STILL uses one with his old Louisville stairstep graphic pads, Koho gloves and Van Veldon masque!

On 2017-05-22 at 2:43 PM, TheGoalNet said:

thanks

I don't have a budget as long as it protects me, maybe 1000 CAD? I don't really care if it's custom and the only thing I'm really looking for is protection I play bantam AAA and the shots are pretty hard. I'm not entirely sure what a big v is, could you explain? Thanks

He's saying do you want to look as big as possible or do you want the C/A to conform to your body more.  Bottom line is a chest protector is 100% preference.  There is no BEST chest protector out there.  We all have a different opinion about which is BEST.  Any PRO chest protector has enough protection to keep you relatively safe from the hardest shots you'll see.  What size you get and how you wear it also makes a difference.  Your likely still growing so going custom is kind of a waste and unnecessary in my opinion.  

BEST ADVICE: Go to a shop... bring your pants, mask, and gloves and try on as many c/a's as you can with your other gear.  You can have the most protective c/a on earth, but if you can't turn your head, get your hand all the way in your glove, or tuck it just the way you like...you will hate it.

3 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

He's saying do you want to look as big as possible or do you want the C/A to conform to your body more.  Bottom line is a chest protector is 100% preference.  There is no BEST chest protector out there.  We all have a different opinion about which is BEST.  Any PRO chest protector has enough protection to keep you relatively safe from the hardest shots you'll see.  What size you get and how you wear it also makes a difference.  Your likely still growing so going custom is kind of a waste and unnecessary in my opinion.  

BEST ADVICE: Go to a shop... bring your pants, mask, and gloves and try on as many c/a's as you can with your other gear.  You can have the most protective c/a on earth, but if you can't turn your head, get your hand all the way in your glove, or tuck it just the way you like...you will hate it.

Well said, Jay.  

12 hours ago, Zach_the_mac31 said:

I don't have a budget as long as it protects me, maybe 1000 CAD? I don't really care if it's custom and the only thing I'm really looking for is protection I play bantam AAA and the shots are pretty hard. I'm not entirely sure what a big v is, could you explain? Thanks

What are you wearing now?

What do you like and dislike about it? 

10 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

What are you wearing now?

What do you like and dislike about it? 

I am currently wearing a CCM premier not the pro model just the regular one. I really really like the chest protection but the arms need some improvement. I get stingers all the time when I'm hit in the arm. Although I like how far the cuffs go down, they cover a lot of my wrist.

21 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

Thanks so much that helps a lot! Good point on not going custom, I agree 100%.

1 hour ago, Zach_the_mac31 said:

I am currently wearing a CCM premier not the pro model just the regular one. I really really like the chest protection but the arms need some improvement. I get stingers all the time when I'm hit in the arm. Although I like how far the cuffs go down, they cover a lot of my wrist.

Have you considered having your CA beefed up by Factory Mad? That can be an option if you have about 2 weeks or so to be without your chesty.

7 hours ago, Zach_the_mac31 said:

Given your budget and initial feedback, it seems like the Pro version of the Premier might be a nice place to start. It will be a more beefed version of what you have. 

I would also look at the Brian's GNetik PRO. It's on bulkier side, which I would classify the Premier as, and the protection is amazing. Vaughn Ventus could be another area to consider for retail models. 

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Have you considered having your CA beefed up by Factory Mad? That can be an option if you have about 2 weeks or so to be without your chesty.

I actually have no idea what factory mad is. Ive seen what they've done to gloves though.

28 minutes ago, Zach_the_mac31 said:

I actually have no idea what factory mad is. Ive seen what they've done to gloves though.

Worked at Vaughn for 20+ years. At one point in his career, he was modding a lot of the 1 off customs for the pros 

37 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Elusive, meaning the tendency to elude!

An elusive fairy is one you can't catch, but an illusive one was never really there at all. It was just an illusion! Although both words can apply to things you don't have, don't let the difference be elusive! You can't quite catch something elusive, butillusive things are just illusions

I'd definitely like to throw our name in the mix.  Our chest protectors, like all of our gear, is customized specifically to the client.  We have a variety of options (including about a dozen shoulder profiles) to match the individual style and preference of the goalie client.  Why buy something off the shelf when you can have it made exactly the way you want?

Archived