Don Simmons shutting down March 30

Snowman30

12 hours ago, Mike24 said:

Funny thing about del Val  they put out a great catalog....Koho Heaton Vaughn etc all the big boys of the time. Had unique gear pics.  I finally got a chance to go to the shop.  It was in a rink and they was like 6 sets of pads some gloves. And not much else. I thought I was walking into a place like Simmons.  I realized quickly it was an order in place. 

So true.

Ever been down to the Ocean Ice Palace and seen the Ocean Hockey shop? It's pretty cool. Similar to the Del Val store. Rink is amazing.

Also had Rupp's hockey and whatever ads were in the back of the then newspaper version of the The Hockey News. The corner store in Westville carried THN for me and my buddies to buy. Also Hockey Digest had gear ads written in 1/2" font. I'd memorize the prices.

I used to call the stores and request catalogs in a fake adult voice.

Damn the internet!

Edited by MTH

Dear Valued Customers.

It is with great pleasure that I am able to announce that the Simmons brand is being kept alive under new ownership! Simmons Hockey is currently in the process of moving manufacturing across the border into the Greater Buffalo area. All equipment will be manufactured to the same standards, using the same materials that the Simmons brand has been known for. We will still pride ourselves on being manufactured in North America rather than overseas and hope our loyal customer base will bear with us during this transition.

Due to the complexity of moving the manufacturing facility, we are currently not able to accept any orders. We anticipate being able to fulfill orders in time for the start of next hockey season and will have frequent announcements to keep you informed of our progress. For the time being, online orders have been disabled. The web store will be kept functional so customers can still browse our product offerings, and will soon be updated with this announcement.

Thank you again for being loyal customers. Please check back for further news.

John Stuart
Owner
Simmons Hockey

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/30/2020 at 4:16 PM, hockey research said:

Does anyone know what happened to Don Simmons? When/where did he pass away? I think his kids who worked at the store were quite private.

Anything I asked Mark Simmons about his father was answered. He was very proud and rightly so. Mark and I even exchanged internet scans of newspaper clippings when there was a good Don tory to be had. Mark was a straight-shooter, no BS kinda guy and that isn't necessarily a good thing...haha. Mark had Rick Miller at the store for all the schmoozing. I really liked the 2 of them.

Rick called me their Carey Price after I told him that the service I get from them made me feel like a pro. I had a set of Matrix3's that I bought used and my 1st dealing with them was to get them to dust off the M3 templates for the gloves and make me a custom set to match. I purchased a full Canadian Pro 1000 from them in the summer of 2018. 

I realize that this thread is a year old. I stumbled on it while looking for a Don Simmons article. I had stopped coming to this site because of the constant Simmons bashing. I'm no gear snob and I'm certainly not got to tell someone what to buy unless I'm willing to pay for it. My experience with Scott and Mark Simmons as well as Rick Miller were always a pleasure. As they say...your mileage will vary.

IMG_20180710_092142821.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Boosh63 said:

Anything I asked Mark Simmons about his father was answered. He was very proud and rightly so. Mark and I even exchanged internet scans of newspaper clippings when there was a good Don tory to be had. Mark was a straight-shooter, no BS kinda guy and that isn't necessarily a good thing...haha. Mark had Rick Miller at the store for all the schmoozing. I really liked the 2 of them.

Rick called me their Carey Price after I told him that the service I get from them made me feel like a pro. I had a set of Matrix3's that I bought used and my 1st dealing with them was to get them to dust off the M3 templates for the gloves and make me a custom set to match. I purchased a full Canadian Pro 1000 from them in the summer of 2018. 

I realize that this thread is a year old. I stumbled on it while looking for a Don Simmons article. I had stopped coming to this site because of the constant Simmons bashing. I'm no gear snob and I'm certainly not got to tell someone what to buy unless I'm willing to pay for it. My experience with Scott and Mark Simmons as well as Rick Miller were always a pleasure. As they say...your mileage will vary.

The longest lasting pants and chesty that I've had were Simmons and I've had multiple sets of the 993/6 or whatever number it was at the time. I really liked them and thought they were comparable in quality and performance to what else was available at the time, but it does appear as though the gear they have now hasn't been modernized unfortunately. 

On 7/23/2021 at 12:14 PM, Boosh63 said:

No bashing from me. I have seen a few Simmons sets in the wild. Good, durable stuff. I like new, hi performance gear as much as anyone; the classics always are great. Bauer’s digital printing is cool and you can clean puck marks off easily, except you will also clean off the digital printing!  There needs to be a healthy marketplace for all types of gear from traditional to modern and high performance. Simmons gives us another option. 

That is a great set you have!

7 hours ago, MTH said:

Same here with all praise for Simmons gear. Used a bunch of their stuff through the years.

I see my posts above for Ocean Ice Palace in NJ. Sadly they're closing up this summer.

It’s always sad when another rink is lost. Rinks seem to be going up in my locale at a breakneck pace. Gotta love when a team finally wins a Stanley Cup.