Pros and Cons of a Dangler

Peter36

24 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Wow, holy crap. 

Were there criminal charges on that kid? Seems justified that there would be.

I believe charges were pressed. He is also on indefinite, maybe permanent suspension from USA Hockey.

26 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

You mean there’s more?

High school hockey has gotten out of control in Texas. From what I've seen there are two primary causes for this. One is incredibly poor officiating. I have not played a game in the past year with a ref that is even remotely consistent and knows what everything they call means. The other cause is likely the heavy "football mentality" here in Texas. Basically hit em 'til they fall. High school hockey in Texas has become more about hitting and less about scoring sadly.

Even as goalie I'm subjected to some of this. I used to only look for gear with good padding in front. Now I have a Warrior C/A, Vaughn pads, and Warrior gloves. What does all these things have in common you might ask? Every single one of them has good back and side padding because that's where I'm getting hit by kids sticks. I also had a kid drop the gloves against me during a JV game. I was just thinking "Really. I'm more stable on my skates than you'll ever be" (This kid was in skating academy a year ago). Luckily the refs came and grabbed him before he could do anything.

30 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Wow, holy crap. 

Were there criminal charges on that kid? Seems justified that there would be.

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/video-texas-hs-hockey-player-suspended-indefinitely-after-stick-attack

Kid on the ice is fine and the attacker is suspended indefinitely from Hockey.

Pretty sure that's going to be the end of it. But you Americans are crazy about wanting to sue people.

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/video-texas-hs-hockey-player-suspended-indefinitely-after-stick-attack

Kid on the ice is fine and the attacker is suspended indefinitely from Hockey.

Pretty sure that's going to be the end of it. But you Americans are crazy about wanting to sue people.

Ha.  It's true, we are far less polite.

But even so, a law suit is not the same as a criminal charge.  He could potentially be found guilty of a crime without being sued for personal loss.

All I can say is that I'm glad that this incident is getting the publicity it needed. I guess TAHA doesn't actually watch our games because this isn't "rare" at all. 2 weeks ago my JV team became engaged in a full on line brawl, the second of the season for our team alone. Me and the other team's goalie just passed the puck back and forth down the ice while this happened.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:02 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Thank god that video has spread everywhere. This is in my league. Neither of those teams are mine though. If I was that goalie I would've gone behind the net and took that kid out. Unfortunately this is the only time this sort of thing has been caught on video in my league.

Dear god, back in my high school days, hell.... maybe even today.... if someone did that to my teammate we'd all be going to jail / the hospital. It'd depend how quickly they pull me off of him before I ram my skate up his backside.

What set that off anyway? The tumble? How bad of a league is it you play in?

12 hours ago, Max27 said:

while were on a pros and cons forum, heres a con of not having your own computer, and using one that your school supplies-

Hahahaha your school blocks the video and mine doesn't.

18 hours ago, tubby34 said:

Dear god, back in my high school days, hell.... maybe even today.... if someone did that to my teammate we'd all be going to jail / the hospital. It'd depend how quickly they pull me off of him before I ram my skate up his backside.

What set that off anyway? The tumble? How bad of a league is it you play in?

I'm not really sure what set that off. I have not had the opportunity to watch the whole game to see if it was just getting chippy or what. The tumble was definitely the last straw for that guy though. Well considering a fight happened again in JV last Saturday, I'd say pretty bad. We didn't start it this time though, on of the select hockey kids started it because I probably made him a bit upset by telling him I was a house goalie and his team didn't score once on me. Once again me and the other goalie just made full ice passes while the fight was going down.

Archived