Bracelayer Knee Stabilizing Compression Pants

2 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Ha... I actually haven't worn them much. There was some bunching behind the knee that was sort of annoying... but I'll try and remember to throw them on for my Tuesday evening skate this week.

I'm curious to know how much better my McDavid knee pads would be kept in place when compared to the Under Armor compression pants I wear now.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm curious to know how much better my McDavid knee pads would be kept in place when compared to the Under Armor compression pants I wear now.

Good deal... I was wondering the same as i made sure to throw the BraceLayers in my bag. I will say that my UAs hold rthe Bauer GForm sleeves in place just fine... but these will certainly be tighter. I actually have a skate this evening and if they feel ok when getting dressed I'll wear them... otherwise I will wait until tomorrow for on ice.

38 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Good deal... I was wondering the same as i made sure to throw the BraceLayers in my bag. I will say that my UAs hold rthe Bauer GForm sleeves in place just fine... but these will certainly be tighter. I actually have a skate this evening and if they feel ok when getting dressed I'll wear them... otherwise I will wait until tomorrow for on ice.

Looking forward to your experience.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:01 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Looking forward to your experience.

So yes they are definitely tighter than standard UA compression... in fact it was sort of difficult to pull them up without moving the GForm sleeves. Once I did manage to get the sleeves in place they were held there quite well... but for me the additional heat that is retained as well as the continued bunching behind the knee (which when you add a sleeve into the mix is even more noticeable) was just a little much for me to want to work with long term.

If you're looking for a pair of pants with super tight compression and keeping in heat to help keep muscles warm then the BraceLayers are worth a shot for sure. But if you're looking for something that is simply tighter than standard compression pants for the purpose of holding sleevs in place... I think the negatives outweigh the positives. My suggestion... would be to look at some Recovery Compression Pants. UA & McDavid both make pairs that are much tighter than standard that don't have the same added bulk of BraceLayer...

McDavid 8815 Men’s Recovery Max Tight Base Layer Compression Pant

McDavid 8810R Men's Compression Recovery Tights

UA Recover Compression Leggings

On 12/11/2019 at 9:19 AM, BadAngle41 said:

So yes they are definitely tighter than standard UA compression... in fact it was sort of difficult to pull them up without moving the GForm sleeves. Once I did manage to get the sleeves in place they were held there quite well... but for me the additional heat that is retained as well as the continued bunching behind the knee (which when you add a sleeve into the mix is even more noticeable) was just a little much for me to want to work with long term.

If you're looking for a pair of pants with super tight compression and keeping in heat to help keep muscles warm then the BraceLayers are worth a shot for sure. But if you're looking for something that is simply tighter than standard compression pants for the purpose of holding sleevs in place... I think the negatives outweigh the positives. My suggestion... would be to look at some Recovery Compression Pants. UA & McDavid both make pairs that are much tighter than standard that don't have the same added bulk of BraceLayer...

McDavid 8815 Men’s Recovery Max Tight Base Layer Compression Pant

McDavid 8810R Men's Compression Recovery Tights

UA Recover Compression Leggings

Thanks I will definitely check those out!

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Thanks I will definitely check those out!

To be honest... I'm thinking about picking up a pair of the McDavid 8815... right now i'm wearing the standard UA hockey leggings with the velcro tabs removed... and while the little rubberized grip on the shin/knee maybe helps keeps my Supreme knee guards in place... the addec compression of the McDavid piece wouldn't hurt. 

Not to mention I have Amazon reward points burning a hole in my pocket. Amazon Prime credit card has been great for that... 2% back at Amazon & Whole Foods and 1% everywhere else... and no foreign transaction fees for when you buy new gear outside the USA. (This is not a paid advertisement.)

I had a couple more ice times today. First one was pretty low effort on my part. I got into the zone for our rec game tonight. Pretty good test this time, lots of stretching out, back and forth stuff in front of the net. Probably a good 4 or 5 that ought to have hurt. I might be a bit stiff in the morning, but again I feel better than normal at this point. I remain really high on these pants. No bunching or discomfort that I noticed. 

One observation while dressing for the second game, the neoprene in the knee has stretched a bit, its not as tight as the first two uses. Probably to be expected. In light of that I'm wondering if I should have gone with large instead of XL. I was right in between sizes, 36" waist, but I opted for the larger size since my legs are thicker than average. 

Looking at that one pair of McDavids labelled as recovery got me wondering, does anyone wear compression stuff after hockey specifically for recovery? 

It's not like most of us get the benefit of an ice bath or trainer massage after a game, and would feel weird pulling off the game used gitch just to put on a totally different pair, but at this point I need all the help I can get recovering once I eventually get back in the ice

On 12/14/2019 at 10:34 PM, Mroy31 said:

Looking at that one pair of McDavids labelled as recovery got me wondering, does anyone wear compression stuff after hockey specifically for recovery? 

It's not like most of us get the benefit of an ice bath or trainer massage after a game, and would feel weird pulling off the game used gitch just to put on a totally different pair, but at this point I need all the help I can get recovering once I eventually get back in the ice

Nope, never even thought to do that to be honest.

17 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Nope, never even thought to do that to be honest.

When I was googling to see if there were any significant difference between "recovery" compression stuff and standard baselayer stuff, I found a study that I haven't read through entirely, but seemed to conclude wearing compression after a workout/activity would be more beneficial than not.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6341249/

Whenever I get back on the ice, I may have to try it out.

37 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

When I was googling to see if there were any significant difference between "recovery" compression stuff and standard baselayer stuff, I found a study that I haven't read through entirely, but seemed to conclude wearing compression after a workout/activity would be more beneficial than not.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6341249/

Whenever I get back on the ice, I may have to try it out.

I don't wear compression after games... but after working out I occasionally use a Normatec which is staged compression to increase blood flow to muscles. I do use my Hypervolt once I get home after a skate... and sometimes use it on off days after stretching... and can definitely tell a difference. Legs just feel better the next day.

https://www.normatecrecovery.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived