Neck guards?

Ever since I got my brians Optik chest and arm I made the bib go pretty low, first time my whole throat is basically exposed. My coach told me he is getting one of his old friends who played in the ohl to shoot on me, has a 100 mph snap shot. He said his shit is also heavy, and it will hurt Should I get a neck guard. If so what’s a protective one I’ll be able to move with once broken in?

24 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

Ever since I got my brians Optik chest and arm I made the bib go pretty low, first time my whole throat is basically exposed. My coach told me he is getting one of his old friends who played in the ohl to shoot on me, has a 100 mph snap shot. He said his shit is also heavy, and it will hurt Should I get a neck guard. If so what’s a protective one I’ll be able to move with once broken in?

100 mile an hour SNAPshot

7 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

From my experience, get either a Maltese or an ecoprofoam. Both are really comfortable and protective and don’t need breaking in time. Since you’ve never worn a neck guard it’ll take a bit to get used to it being there but it’s worth it. 

Ok thanks

8 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Yes sir. He’s played semi professionals and his shot was nhl caliber. My assistant coach who played  juniors a couple years is on his men’s league team and said his shot is insane

What's his slapshot like then?

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Weber shoots a slapshot at 108.5 mph. I seriously doubt an OHL only level player can snap a shot at 100 mph.

Regardless.

Get some sort of neck protection. Ex-OHL players aside, ya gotta protect the neck son.

I'm glad you said it.

@Jonathon v There's a few different routes to consider.

1. Try to add a dangler

2. For the neck guard - Do you want something that stays in place and fills the gaps with your C&A? If that's it, check out Kova Goalie, Vaughn, or Brown. Those are all pretty trusted. I haven't used a Bauer 1X or Brian's, but those could both work too.

If you want something that is very thin, thin, flexible, will move with you, and is lighter, check out the Eco Pro or Aegis

15 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

1. Try to add a dangler

2. For the neck guard - Do you want something that stays in place and fills the gaps with your C&A? If that's it, check out Kova Goalie, Vaughn, or Brown. Those are all pretty trusted. I haven't used a Bauer 1X or Brian's, but those could both work too.

If you want something that is very thin, thin, flexible, will move with you, and is lighter, check out the Eco Pro or Aegis

Would you recommend the aegis over a bauer neck guard? Also, if I use a Aegis should I still use a dangler with it?

23 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

1. Try to add a dangler

the aegis ones use d3o right?

I own and use the aegis. Super light and comfortable. I’ve never been comfortable wearing a neck guard close to the throat but this one is like nothing. That said, I just took the only shot in the throat I’ve had in it and it hurt. It was a pretty soft and fluttery shot too. I know I can’t expect too much from a throat guard but it was scary enough that I’ll be trying a dangler again. May keep the aegis in addition as well, maybe not. 

If you are looking for "pro endorsement"...

There's a vid somewhere of Darling taking an Ovechkin slapshot full on to the neck sometime last year. His Maltese collar probably saved his life.  He mentions it by name in the post game interview.

Now that Maltese is gone, I recommend either an ECOPro Foam or a Roughneck (I am a rep for the latter).

If there is a large skill gap between you and the shooter, wear a dangler either way.

I would use a dangler.

The 1X is basically a re-badged Reactor bib, which was a knock-off of the classic Vaughn bib. Those don't do much. I used to have a Vaughn Pro Carbon XR bib and it did very little to protect my clavicle and throat. 

Eco-Foam may be like a maltese however I have no idea if it is just as protective. I never got on the Maltese train as I didn't like how constrictive it felt on my neck. I currently use a Kova goalie bib with added dense gel protection and it's great. I highly recommend that brand as the build quality is excellent and extremely comfortable.

Archived