Looking to upgrade my Neck Guard- Suggestions?

Max27

Currently, I use a Bauer N8 Neck Guard with no dangler. I have noticed recentley that the velcro tab on the back is ripping off, and im looking to upgrade to another one. Ive looked at the Aegis Interceptor and the Vaughn VPC 7000. Anybody have any suggestions? 

10 hours ago, Max27 said:

Currently, I use a Bauer N8 Neck Guard with no dangler. I have noticed recentley that the velcro tab on the back is ripping off, and im looking to upgrade to another one. Ive looked at the Aegis Interceptor and the Vaughn VPC 7000. Anybody have any suggestions? 

Do you need BNQ certification? 

16 hours ago, Max27 said:

Both the Aegis and VPC 7000 are garbage. They do very little to actually assist with impact absorption (I've tried both). I'm currently in a reinforced Kova bib and it's taken a few bombs without much issue

19 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

check out EPF or paw. The Aegis is lightweight but won’t give you the protection you need especially if you don’t wear a dangler. 

ok ill check it out. I was thinking abt aegis bc it has the d3o in it

13 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Do you need BNQ certification? 

i dont, i live on LI. Just USA hockey certified as far as I know

7 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

Both the Aegis and VPC 7000 are garbage. They do very little to actually assist with impact absorption (I've tried both). I'm currently in a reinforced Kova bib and it's taken a few bombs without much issue

ok ill check out Kova

I assumed the 7000 and aegis were good bc the aegis has the d3o in it and the 7000 is used in the nhl by rask

18 minutes ago, old but slow said:

haha i meant that it was protective enough to be used by a pro. Im far from a pro, so a protective piece used by a pro is definetley good enough for me

wasnt meaning that i would use it bc rask uses it

4 minutes ago, Max27 said:

haha i meant that it was protective enough to be used by a pro. Im far from a pro, so a protective piece used by a pro is definetley good enough for me

wasnt meaning that i would use it bc rask uses it

so wait? You believe that because it is used by a pro it's good enough for you... but... you wouldn't use it BECAUSE a pro uses it? um ok?! I'm no expert but my belief is that most "PRO'S" aren't wearing stock anything. my guess is that Rask's 7000 is modified to perform a particular way. If you're worried about protection, Paw, Roughneck, EPF, Brown. If It's comfort and heat, keep trying them until you find what works.

2 minutes ago, old but slow said:

so wait? You believe that because it is used by a pro it's good enough for you... but... you wouldn't use it BECAUSE a pro uses it? um ok?! I'm no expert but my belief is that most "PRO'S" aren't wearing stock anything. my guess is that Rask's 7000 is modified to perform a particular way. If you're worried about protection, Paw, Roughneck, EPF, Brown. If It's comfort and heat, keep trying them until you find what works.

im saying an NHL Caliber neck protector would be more than good enough to use at levels below the NHL

What i meant by my comment on using something or not using something bc a pro uses it is that pros are extremely picky with what they use, and use specific things that cater to their play. What Carey Price uses isnt the same spec as what John Gibson uses (used them bc both are in ef4) and that goes for all gear. Rasks 7000 is definitely modded for him, but im saying if an NHL goalie is using a protective piece of gear, like a neck guard in this case, that it would be good enough for a high school student like me to use. Its similar to what @TheGoalNet said about how a majority of NHL goalies are in retail Game-Ready palms, and that it makes you think twice if you "need" a pro/practice palm put in

@Max27, I get it , just having a little fun with semantics. which is why I added recommendations. As for the "pro's wear it "debate, pro's wear a lot of things that aren't what they appear. Schneider actually has 2 bibs sewn together, but it looks like just 1 and that would be sufficient in the NHL... It's not. or he wouldn't do it. Rask and others use a game ready palm, Rask also uses padded batting gloves under it...but a game ready palm is sufficient in the NHL? I Guess? 

Any way , sorry for poking fun at your wording, best of luck finding what works for you. I personally wear the bauer supreme bib and tuck my chin and shrug my shoulders like a turtle to protect the important parts

23 minutes ago, old but slow said:

@Max27, I get it , just having a little fun with semantics. which is why I added recommendations. As for the "pro's wear it "debate, pro's wear a lot of things that aren't what they appear. Schneider actually has 2 bibs sewn together, but it looks like just 1 and that would be sufficient in the NHL... It's not. or he wouldn't do it. Rask and others use a game ready palm, Rask also uses padded batting gloves under it...but a game ready palm is sufficient in the NHL? I Guess? 

Any way , sorry for poking fun at your wording, best of luck finding what works for you. I personally wear the bauer supreme bib and tuck my chin and shrug my shoulders like a turtle to protect the important parts

yeah true, a lot of what you see in the nhl isnt what it seems

as for the thing abt the game ready palm, im not sure about other companies but ik a majority of CCM glove users in the show are in a game ready palm

I have an EcoProFoam.  It's like the Maltese, but without the bib in the back.  I also have a Roughneck on order, just for fun.  I've used a PAW, didn't like it.  Super high quality, but there are two basic models of neck protectors -- the ones the big boys make with some hard plastic and the Maltese type.  I prefer the Maltese type.

I have an Aegis.  For lower level hockey I think it's fine  If you're facing bombs, it's probably not enough.

1 minute ago, motowngoalie said:

Oh, ok! Sorry I didn't realize it was short for Eco. Thought it was an item I'd never heard of :)

same here haha

35 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I have an EcoProFoam.  It's like the Maltese, but without the bib in the back.  I also have a Roughneck on order, just for fun.  I've used a PAW, didn't like it.  Super high quality, but there are two basic models of neck protectors -- the ones the big boys make with some hard plastic and the Maltese type.  I prefer the Maltese type.

I have an Aegis.  For lower level hockey I think it's fine  If you're facing bombs, it's probably not enough.

ok cool, ill check it out

as for the aegis, i play high school, would it be good?

I have had a custom PAW for 2 seasons now where I was starter. There are zero signs of wear on it. The elastic is still nice and stretchy, and even the Velcro isn't fuzzy. I should clarify that I'm starter for 2 teams and back up for one, so my 2 seasons is more like 5 for normal wear and tear. Sarah has great service and a great product.

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

same here haha

Probably not.  I'm talking low level bender beer league where they can't lift the puck.  I have one.  It's very comfortable, but I'm not sure how much I'd trust it from a really hard direct shot.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:58 AM, Max27 said:

Or, if it is protecting you sufficiently, you could sew the velcro back on.

4 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I have had a custom PAW for 2 seasons now where I was starter. There are zero signs of wear on it. The elastic is still nice and stretchy, and even the Velcro isn't fuzzy. I should clarify that I'm starter for 2 teams and back up for one, so my 2 seasons is more like 5 for normal wear and tear. Sarah has great service and a great product.

nice, seems like theyre a popular model. def considering them

3 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

Probably not.  I'm talking low level bender beer league where they can't lift the puck.  I have one.  It's very comfortable, but I'm not sure how much I'd trust it from a really hard direct shot.

ok thanks

2 hours ago, Naz said:

Or, if it is protecting you sufficiently, you could sew the velcro back on.

i could, but im not sure if its worth it honestly

the neck guard itself is very soft and doesnt offer much protection. honestly, if it was up to me i wouldnt wear it, but usa hockey rules mandate it

15 hours ago, Max27 said:

same here haha

God no. I wouldn't even play shinny with it. The D3O is only good when coupled with another material. Not on its own for hockey. The Aegis is a gimmick at best. I get the concept, but in practice it isn't worth it. 

If you think Rask's 7000 is "pro ready", take a look at Dubnyk's....it's a old RBK basic clavicle guard. A lot of pros get their stuff modded and still use them due to familiarity and comfort. Not always safety. Look at Price's old unlabeled Vaughn one....it's....pretty beat up.

They can use game ready palms since they have access to 120986 gloves per season LOL. Us normal joe blows gotta stick to one or 2 sets usually.

Most goalies use 2-3 sets of gloves a season JUST for games. To put it into perspective, if a starting goalie plays 60 games in a season, and uses 3 sets, you're only looking at about 20 games a set, plus breakdown, etc. For practice they usually have another set or take a couple sessions to break in a new one. 

IMO most off the shelf units offer BASIC protection, which is better than nothing, but not enough to be fully safe. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 12:58 PM, Max27 said:

Our neck guards are designed in the back so you can replace the elastic/soft part of the velcro for when it eventually wears out. Our's are made with 1/2" auxetic foam, which from the feedback I've gotten guys like better than the stiff maltese neck guard. I haven't seen the Ecopro unit so cannot comment on that....

www.sentryhockey.com

On 2/27/2019 at 2:01 AM, ruckus007 said:

God no. I wouldn't even play shinny with it. The D3O is only good when coupled with another material. Not on its own for hockey. The Aegis is a gimmick at best. I get the concept, but in practice it isn't worth it. 

If you think Rask's 7000 is "pro ready", take a look at Dubnyk's....it's a old RBK basic clavicle guard. A lot of pros get their stuff modded and still use them due to familiarity and comfort. Not always safety. Look at Price's old unlabeled Vaughn one....it's....pretty beat up.

They can use game ready palms since they have access to 120986 gloves per season LOL. Us normal joe blows gotta stick to one or 2 sets usually.

Most goalies use 2-3 sets of gloves a season JUST for games. To put it into perspective, if a starting goalie plays 60 games in a season, and uses 3 sets, you're only looking at about 20 games a set, plus breakdown, etc. For practice they usually have another set or take a couple sessions to break in a new one. 

IMO most off the shelf units offer BASIC protection, which is better than nothing, but not enough to be fully safe. 

almost a whole month late to reply to this, but better late than never

As for the neck guard, thanks. ill look at other options. The n8 i have rn was like 10$ and offers like no protection at all. I probably wouldnt notice not wearing it honestly

1 hour ago, SentryHockey said:

Our neck guards are designed in the back so you can replace the elastic/soft part of the velcro for when it eventually wears out. Our's are made with 1/2" auxetic foam, which from the feedback I've gotten guys like better than the stiff maltese neck guard. I haven't seen the Ecopro unit so cannot comment on that....

www.sentryhockey.com

ok cool ill check it out

I'm trying to find a good new neck guard too. I was real happy with the Vaughn VPC-7000 but can't find another one to replace it. Not super protective but it worked for me at my PeeWee AA level. I bet most of the pros have their guards customized since the number of options on the market is pretty small. I just tried the Aegis and it's too tall in front and doesn't offer protection around the back of the neck at all, only offering 60% of the neck covered by the thin orange D30 piece. The Roughneck and EPF are pricey and the outside materiel kind of weak so hard to make dad pay for the thing only lasting a little while. Both those companies are hard to contact too. PAW wanted money upfront to try one on and it just seems there needs to be more options or I make dad buy a sewing machine.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, goaliemojo said:

I'm trying to find a good new neck guard too. I was real happy with the Vaughn VPC-7000 but can't find another one to replace it. Not super protective but it worked for me at my PeeWee AA level. I bet most of the pros have their guards customized since the number of options on the market is pretty small. I just tried the Aegis and it's too tall in front and doesn't offer protection around the back of the neck at all, only offering 60% of the neck covered by the thin orange D30 piece. The Roughneck and EPF are pricey and the outside materiel kind of weak so hard to make dad pay for the thing only lasting a little while. Both those companies are hard to contact too. PAW wanted money upfront to try one on and it just seems there needs to be more options or I make dad buy a sewing machine.

Have you check out ours? Our's is made using patented Auxetic foam (XPF) with a 1.5" high neck collar one that is 2" high. I do believe our model is cheaper than the Roughneck and Eco foam.  Our outside fabric is a durable poly/spandex mix and so far has held up during a few hundred washings in the washing machine. We also do offer a customer satisfaction guarantee, if you buy it and it doesn't fit or you don't like it for whatever reason, simply send it back for a full refund (minus shipping). Size wise, it's 12" across the top wide, and another 11 1/2" inches from very top to the bottom point, and 6" from the bottom of the neck to the bottom point, so it should fit. It also features an adjustable elastic strap in the back as well for a custom fit every time.

All the best,

Josh

www.sentryhockey.com

Archived