Sherwood Back for 2019?

TheGoalNet

On 3/15/2019 at 10:12 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

No fucking way!!  Is he really doing that????? :rofl:

"Fans who I have given signed sticks in the past.  If the stick says Easton S16 I will pay you to ship them back to Detroit at which time I will mail you a new signed 'other' type of stick and a puck in return."

If I had one, I'd totally help him out.

You'd think Bauer could remake the stick. Did they keep the old Easton factory in Mexico?

3 hours ago, MTH said:

If I had one, I'd totally help him out.

You'd think Bauer could remake the stick. Did they keep the old Easton factory in Mexico?

I believe they sold it off but maybe kept the molds for the stick patterns. I think that's why not every former Easton player has stayed with Bauer, because they're no more similar than any other brand to the Easton stuff.

22 hours ago, TitanG said:

I believe they sold it off but maybe kept the molds for the stick patterns. I think that's why not every former Easton player has stayed with Bauer, because they're no more similar than any other brand to the Easton stuff.

I forget who it was, but I remember an NHL goalie who wore a helmet-cage combination making it known that they were having trouble finding that helmet, and asking people if they'd sell him their own helmets, or let him know if they knew where to find one. I really want to say it was Hasek...

11 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I forget who it was, but I remember an NHL goalie who wore a helmet-cage combination making it known that they were having trouble finding that helmet, and asking people if they'd sell him their own helmets, or let him know if they knew where to find one. I really want to say it was Hasek...

Perhaps it was Timmy?

Image result for tim thomas

Just now, Naz said:

It was Arturs Irbe, for the Jofa cages

Bingo, Naz! Something about Hasek didn't sound right to me.

And it was definitely not TT, who worked directly with SportMask and had no shortage of helmets and cages to perform bizarre, disturbing experiments on.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, stackem30 said:

The same thing happened with Osgood as well:  https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2011/07/30/osgood_retires_and_takes_the_helmet_with_him.html

Because the helmet was obsolete, finding replacements and parts was a constant quest. While Healy and his equipment managers had to “scrounge for pieces, even finding stuff in beer leagues,” Osgood had it a bit easier.

“I was fortunate someone would show up and just give me one out of generosity.”

Whenever he got traded, a box of parts typically followed him.

Luckily, Wings head equipment manger Paul Boyer was creative with more than just a drill and wrench.

“I got Mickey Redmond, our TV play-by-play guy, to ask viewers for wires, side clips, anything they might have for this thing.”

And when the team masseuse remembered he had two HM30s in his garage back home in Moscow, Boyer promptly had them shipped.

“Yeah,” saids Boyer. “Ozzie finished his career with a helmet from the Red Army.”

On 3/19/2019 at 1:23 PM, TitanG said:

Yeah but the molds come with instructions in Spanish. The Chinese folks at the Bauer factory don't speak Spanish.

I'm joking.

You'd assume in a modern factory full of computer operated machinery; that Bauer could essentially reboot this stick. My guess is that whatever graphite composite material they used to layer the shaft with is no longer being made since it's outdated. 

It's like asking Apple to make you an IPhone 1

Apple-iPhone-iPhone-iPhone-prototype-iPh

On 3/19/2019 at 12:23 PM, TitanG said:

@MTH - I believe the Easton factory was in Mexico. Warrior advertises made in Mexico sticks. I'd be shocked if there is not a connection there.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@MTH - I believe the Easton factory was in Mexico. Warrior advertises made in Mexico sticks. I'd be shocked if there is not a connection there.

Is there a certain draw to having your sticks made in Mexico? I'm not being skeptical, I just have never heard anything about manufacturing or quality that would make a made-in-Mexico stick particularly desirable. Is it just that they're manufactured in North America, and not in China or one of the usual suspects for lesser-quality manufacturing?

10 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Is there a certain draw to having your sticks made in Mexico? I'm not being skeptical, I just have never heard anything about manufacturing or quality that would make a made-in-Mexico stick particularly desirable. Is it just that they're manufactured in North America, and not in China or one of the usual suspects for lesser-quality manufacturing?

Mexico has many of the cost benefits of Asia, but you are covered by NAFTA, there's minimal shipping costs, and you don't have 8 weeks of lead time to due to ocean freight. That is the perk of made in Mexico.

Also, if it is the old Easton factory or Easton our source partner, there is probably probably great skill and tribal knowledge already inherit in the employees there.

Warrior's marketing promotes "Made in North America" and I am guessing they believe this is better to consumers than made in china or Thailand.

• 4 months later...

I came across the new Sherwood Rekker composite at a Sportchek the other day. Comes in 3 levels, M90, M80, and M70. All comparable price points to other brands. The M90 seemed pretty light compared to anything else. Looks like a good stick. Might pick one up next time I need a new twig.  

73FC3C67-F47B-4AD4-8409-3D624244664A.jpeg

B150FB08-567E-469F-9D4A-3B92E797F435.jpeg

1 hour ago, Matt35 said:

I came across the new Sherwood Rekker composite at a Sportchek the other day. Comes in 3 levels, M90, M80, and M70. All comparable price points to other brands. The M90 seemed pretty light compared to anything else. Looks like a good stick. Might pick one up next time I need a new twig.  

Does it have grip?

17 hours ago, Matt35 said:

Holy crap!  The Sport Chek stores around here don't have nearly that amount of goalie gear.  No c/a's and maybe 2 sets of pads, one Bauer one CCM and a few Intermediate gloves.  Usually only about 10 goalie sticks too.

1 hour ago, Naz said:

Holy crap!  The Sport Chek stores around here don't have nearly that amount of goalie gear.  No c/a's and maybe 2 sets of pads, one Bauer one CCM and a few Intermediate gloves.  Usually only about 10 goalie sticks too.

Yea it’s pretty good for a sportchek. I think one of the managers is a goalie. They’re pretty stocked in Vaughn, warrior, CCM eflex4, and Bauer 2x stuff. 

17 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Does it have grip?

So upon further review, there is no grip. I gave it a quick side by side with a Warrior V1pro. M90 was $269 and V1pro is $249. The Sherwood was considerably heavier than the warrior. Seems like a decent stick but at that price point I think it’s a tough sell. The M80 is $149 and even heavier and feels cheaper. The M70 was $109, I didn’t pick that one up. Not sure how their durability is, but I think they’re a bit overpriced. 

Archived