Vaughn Ventus SLR2 Gear Help

Scarey

Hello everyone,

I hope I've posted this in the right location.

I am currently in the process of ordered a set of Vaughn Ventus SLR2 gear from Vaughn (through the goalie school I work at) and I'm slightly new to modding or making changes to otherwise stock specs.

My current set of gear is a Vaughn Velocity 4, that I altered the strapping on (removing a few after years of use) but nothing done from the factory.

My questions are, how would one find out the potential "mods" one could do to a pad / glove / blocker from Vaughn? I feel that when looking at customizers online, from say Goalie Monkey, there's a ton of alterations you could make to a CCM Premier II pad, but looking at Vaughn, they don't seem to outline any changes someone could make.

In addition, I feel relatively lost when looking at breaks on gloves, specifically the Ventus vs VE8 vs VE8 XP vs the 580, 590, & 600 breaks in CCM.

I've hated my stock Vaughn Velocity 4 glove for years, but I really enjoyed the 590/600, is there a glove solution available from Vaughn that could satisfy that need?

Thank you all for any aid.

Hi, thanks for joining the forum.

There is no list of mods you can order and that's because mods are based on what you need your gear to be/do.  In other words, if you don't know the specifics of what you want your gear to be/do, then you don't need to order any mods because, well, why would you? 

So you need two things with mods: 1) familiarity with the nature of the stock gear and 2) an understanding of how your needs and preferences are different from stock gear

They can do almost anything you ask them to do. There is no finite, menu of mods to choose from.

We can help you decide once you chime in about your needs and how that's different from stock gear.

As for CCM angle glove breaks, I'm a lifelong Vaughn user so those numbers mean nothing to me.  Sorry I can't help there.

29 minutes ago, Scarey said:

I am currently in the process of ordered a set of Vaughn Ventus SLR2 gear from Vaughn (through the goalie school I work at) and I'm slightly new to modding or making changes to otherwise stock specs.

My current set of gear is a Vaughn Velocity 4, that I altered the strapping on (removing a few after years of use) but nothing done from the factory.

In addition, I feel relatively lost when looking at breaks on gloves, specifically the Ventus vs VE8 vs VE8 XP vs the 580, 590, & 600 breaks in CCM.

I've hated my stock Vaughn Velocity 4 glove for years, but I really enjoyed the 590/600, is there a glove solution available from Vaughn that could satisfy that need?

Ventus SLR2 will be really stiff and boxy-feeling compared to your old Velocity 4. Maybe check out the Velocity 8, unless that is what you're looking for.

Vaughn VE8 XP catcher will feel a lot like a 590.

3 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Ventus SLR2 will be really stiff and boxy-feeling compared to your old Velocity 4. Maybe check out the Velocity 8, unless that is what you're looking for.

Vaughn VE8 XP catcher will feel a lot like a 590.

I think I'd like to have something that maintained its stiffness for a while. Watching how goalies I've coached over the years have had their gear break down in more "traditional" pads, is one reason why I'm leaning towards the Ventus 2's (understanding that all gear will wear down eventually).

I had the thought that the VE8 xp was going to be closer to what I was looking for out of a CCM glove. Thanks for helping to clarify that.

33 minutes ago, Scarey said:

Hello everyone,

My questions are, how would one find out the potential "mods" one could do to a pad / glove / blocker from Vaughn? I feel that when looking at customizers online, from say Goalie Monkey, there's a ton of alterations you could make to a CCM Premier II pad, but looking at Vaughn, they don't seem to outline any changes someone could make.

I think if you do a custom order for a Vaughn set through a retailer like Source for Sports you can do whatever you want

As for the breaks, the Velocity gloves are similar to the 600 in eflex in terms of design. The eflex was designed for Price when he switched from Vaughn so CCM has tried to model the ef1,2,3, and now the 4, all after the velocity feel. Theyre supposed to have a ¨natural" feel and have a feel like baseball gloves

the ¨590¨ just means its a 60 degree angle. The VE8 XP is a 60 degree/590 so those will be similar.

The 580 isnt on any stock gloves anymore, mainly custom orders.

31 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Hi, thanks for joining the forum.

There is no list of mods you can order and that's because mods are based on what you need your gear to be/do.  In other words, if you don't know the specifics of what you want your gear to be/do, then you don't need to order any mods because, well, why would you? 

So you need two things with mods: 1) familiarity with the nature of the stock gear and 2) an understanding of how your needs and preferences are different from stock gear

They can do almost anything you ask them to do. There is no finite, menu of mods to choose from.

We can help you decide once you chime in about your needs and how that's different from stock gear.

As for CCM angle glove breaks, I'm a lifelong Vaughn user so those numbers mean nothing to me.  Sorry I can't help there.

Thanks for the quick reply. While I partially agree with the notion that if I don't know about it I don't need it, I guess the counter argument would be, how would I know if I need it, if I just assume it can't be done?

I'd like to change the toe bridge for sure, try for pro-logos, but I feel the world of strapping and knee blocks, and glove padding had me left wanting to know more options than necessarily what I may or may not "need." For example I don't need the touch bar on the new macbook pro, however I understand why some might want that, but maybe it's something I could consider in future purchases if I educate myself more on the topic on why it's an option. Maybe there is an adjustment I need that I'm not aware exists.

42 minutes ago, Scarey said:

Hello everyone,

There is a pretty long list of things Vaughn can do to modify your pads.
If I were you, I would focus on how you want the pad to perform and work backwards from that.
Bear in mind, Vaughn can and will upcharge for most mods.

Think about:

• How YOU want the pad to perform;
  • What YOU don't like about your current V4s;
  • What YOU like about your V4s;
  • What else YOU have seen on the market that may benefit your game;

No problem.  Happy to help and I love talking about Vaughn stuff

They can do anything.  They can build you a V3 pad if you want with SLR strapping and a VE8 leg channel.  Mods are a function of what you need and want, not what they can and can't do.

Here's some things to consider that can all be modified:

PADS

-strapping-: number of straps, material, connection points, adjustable locations

-leg channel: open or closed (calf exposed or not?), loose or tight

-knee blocks: higher or lower, stiffer or more flexible

-breaks in the outer roll: number of them, internal vs. external

-boot: stiffness, angle of how it sits natural on your skate, deep or shallow channel

-toe: lace or bungee, slider or fixed, removable or not

-boot strap: yes or no, leather or nylon or hybrid

GLOVE

-wrist strap: nylon or leather, tight or loose

-pocket: single or double, skate lace or cord, stock or deep

BLOCKER

-stock or small or large hand

-hand high or low or center

-wrist strap: stock or tight or loose

There's probably a dozen more not listed here, too.  Pro logos for sure have no upcharge.  I get that on my stuff.

Keep in mind, there will be upcharges for anything requiring a custom build beyond things like breaks on pads and the normal stuff you see on their spec sheets.  As an example of one upcharge, I was quoted $100/set to change the word VAUGHN on each piece to a jenpro color that would be stitched on and not a transfer. 

So, the more you change, generally the more you're going to pay.  Pretty standard stuff.

One thing I would recommend is trying on some SLR2’s and some VE8’s before placing your order. That way you can see what you like and don’t like about Vaughn’s stock options and decide on your mods from there. 

10 minutes ago, Matt35 said:

One thing I would recommend is trying on some SLR2’s and some VE8’s before placing your order. That way you can see what you like and don’t like about Vaughn’s stock options and decide on your mods from there. 

Exactly, excellent advise.  You have to understand the stock product before you can think of any point to changing it.

Take any piece of gear and go through it section by section: what is stock--> do I want to change this section--> if so....WHY?--> what is the desired goal of the modification?

12 minutes ago, Matt35 said:

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Exactly, excellent advise.  You have to understand the stock product before you can think of any point to changing it.

I agree entirely, that is a perfect suggestion. Thank you both!

On 3/5/2019 at 4:29 PM, seagoal said:

What's your color scheme @Scarey

Really, that's the fun part :)

These are my current 3 front runners, the Navy on the inside is the current #1 in household voting.

Navy, Silver, and White.

Had a good chat with a Vaughn Rep about questions I had, really excited for the order going in soon.

Just dealing with the sizing differences over the years. My 37+1 V4 fit perfectly 8 years ago (ha), but with how much pads have changed, some measurements have me in like a 33" which just feels wrong. I'm really quite confused at all the different measurement strategies.

index3.png

index2.png

index1.png

sizing is not that difficult if u r ordering a custom pads. Tell the retailer ur 3 measurements so they build the pads to custom sizing not stock sizing.

Who cares what stock sizing u wore in the pads from what companies, it could be wrong to begin with.

Definitely like option 1.  Regardless you can't go wrong with that color combo, they all work great together.  Regarding the sizing, just go with what the Vaughn reps tell you that you should be in.  The sizing has changed over the years with the stiffer pads, even more so with the SLR as I believe the angle of their boot is more than the Velocity.  Especially when compared to the V4 you're coming from.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:40 AM, Scarey said:

These are my current 3 front runners, the Navy on the inside is the current #1 in household voting.

Navy, Silver, and White.

Had a good chat with a Vaughn Rep about questions I had, really excited for the order going in soon.

Just dealing with the sizing differences over the years. My 37+1 V4 fit perfectly 8 years ago (ha), but with how much pads have changed, some measurements have me in like a 33" which just feels wrong. I'm really quite confused at all the different measurement strategies. 

index3.png

index2.png

index1.png

How tall are you and how long are your shins?
Measure your ankle to knee.  Start at the ankle bone outside your leg and measure straight up to middle of the kneecap.  If it's around 17" you should be around a 33-34 in Vaughn.

The Vaughn rep didn't go over sizing with you?  That's the most important...

On 3/5/2019 at 6:27 PM, Scarey said:

I agree entirely, that is a perfect suggestion. Thank you both!

Would reiterate this. I am in V3s, awaiting VE8s. It will be a massive change for each of us, but an even bigger change for you going from what I assume are now extremely broken down / soft V4s to a very different pad in the Ventus (stiff overall, with a stiff boot).

I tried on both pads and ended up switching the entire VE8 leg channel / strapping to the SLR2 set up. I just felt the pad rotated so much better with the SLR 2 strapping and I found the 2 elastic magnetic straps on the stock VE8 to be useless. I also didnt like the way the VE8 channel wraps around the calf compared to SLR 2. 

So, try both lines on. Try other new pads on. Find what you like from Vaughn lines / ask how they can match something you liked in other lines (similar to your glove question). Pads have changed so much since your V4s, so there is a lot to investigate. I spent over a year trying to decide what I wanted (but note, I'm also incredibly indecisive).

Archived