Feeling Shots in Chest Protector

I have started to feel shots in my Warrior G4 Intermediate Chest protector. I'm currently a Bantam Major, on the ice usually 6-7 times a week. I just turned 15 and am 5'3". What chest protectors would you guys recommend? Considering trying something else for next season even though I started using the G4 at the beginning of this season. I want something light and mobile, but something where I feel confident I won't be feeling shots. Should I consider trying to get a small in senior instead of a XL in intermediate? Would it be worth investing in a Pro Carbon version of a chest protector? I want something I can use for a while and won't be feeling shots in. The G4 Intermediate is a good chest protector, but I just don't know if it will provide enough protection if I am playing U15 AAA.

Is it just the chest part or the arms too?

huge believer of not tucking in. It creates an air pocket that kills pucks and protects you. You still need to tie it into the pants though. 

If you’re getting killed in the arms consistently, then it’s time. 

The small senior is a good option. It’s tough, you are prob still growing and committing to an expensive unit might not be wise. 

You could also try a padded shirt?

Higher the level, harder the shots. If your feeling them now then it's only going to get worse.

Taco made a good suggestion with a padded shirt. That is an option but not a long term fix.

When I had this problem, I just got a new chesty. Everyone will say this brand is better or that brand is better. But for me, the CCM chesty is a beast. I feel nothing in it no matter where I'm hit.

So, personally, I would say go to a store where you can try different brands and sizes on. Try and look for one where you can lengthen/shorten the arms (bonus if theres other parts of it that you can adjust) as that'll give you some growing room.

I suggest you find something that will be enough protection a year from now and gradually work it into games over that time. Did you have a growth spurt yet? If so, I think this is the way to go  

I want to feel shots to my arms, chest and shoulders, but I do not want to feel any pain associated with those shots. Still, I'd rather take an occasional stinger than a constant numbness. That goes for all of my gear except the jocks. Having recently broken in a new Passau C/A, I was infrequently treated to a weird rebound off of the chest due to not feeling a thing. After a few months, it has settle down a whole bunch. 

+1 on not tucking. I have gone back and forth, and have always enjoyed the feel and protection associated with the air barrier created by wearing the C/A over the pants but tethered to them not rear and front. Best combination of coverage and agility, too. 

And, take no offense, but anyone under 25 years old likely has little to no idea about the lack of protection offered on 'pro' equipment as late as the early 2000s. C/As from 'yore worn today in a high-level beer league game could easily help you miss a day of work or much worse. I stuck with old shit until I realized any knucklehead with a composite stick and borderline obesity could generate a hard, heavy shot. 

On 3/6/2019 at 12:21 AM, loki1416 said:

Higher the level, harder the shots. If your feeling them now then it's only going to get worse.

Taco made a good suggestion with a padded shirt. That is an option but not a long term fix.

When I had this problem, I just got a new chesty. Everyone will say this brand is better or that brand is better. But for me, the CCM chesty is a beast. I feel nothing in it no matter where I'm hit.

So, personally, I would say go to a store where you can try different brands and sizes on. Try and look for one where you can lengthen/shorten the arms (bonus if theres other parts of it that you can adjust) as that'll give you some growing room.

I would definitely try on chest protectors at a store, but I am currently in Astana, Kazakhstan where there aren’t hockey stores that carry anything besides Bauer. I was looking at VE8 and the CCM Shield 2 because I have heard they are very light and mobile. Would you recommend either?

3 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

I suggest you find something that will be enough protection a year from now and gradually work it into games over that time. Did you have a growth spurt yet? If so, I think this is the way to go  

I want to feel shots to my arms, chest and shoulders, but I do not want to feel any pain associated with those shots. Still, I'd rather take an occasional stinger than a constant numbness. That goes for all of my gear except the jocks. Having recently broken in a new Passau C/A, I was infrequently treated to a weird rebound off of the chest due to not feeling a thing. After a few months, it has settle down a whole bunch. 

+1 on not tucking. I have gone back and forth, and have always enjoyed the feel and protection associated with the air barrier created by wearing the C/A over the pants but tethered to them not rear and front. Best combination of coverage and agility, too. 

And, take no offense, but anyone under 25 years old likely has little to no idea about the lack of protection offered on 'pro' equipment as late as the early 2000s. C/As from 'yore worn today in a high-level beer league game could easily help you miss a day of work or much worse. I stuck with old shit until I realized any knucklehead with a composite stick and borderline obesity could generate a hard, heavy shot. 

I also want to "feel" the shots, but with no pain. In the G4 I have taken a couple shots that have hit me in the middle of the chest, and knock the wind out of me. I am wondering if the protection given by a pro chest protector is worth investing in if I play AAA. I don't want to feel as though if I am hit in the chest/stomach, it will hurt.

I also don't tuck, I didn't like the feel of it.

2 hours ago, Taco said:

Is it just the chest part or the arms too?

huge believer of not tucking in. It creates an air pocket that kills pucks and protects you. You still need to tie it into the pants though. 

If you’re getting killed in the arms consistently, then it’s time. 

The small senior is a good option. It’s tough, you are prob still growing and committing to an expensive unit might not be wise. 

You could also try a padded shirt?

I have taken a couple shots to the arms that hurt a bit, but it is more in the body of the unit. Not sure about a padded shirt... I already wear a neck guard + dangler.

I have a Warrior GT Pro and I do feel shots but never have a bruise (and I also tuck).

Is there a reason why you don't move up to the Pro model of Warrior?  I know the new GT2 Pro chest is looking super beefy and offers a more traditional arm vs the G4

8 hours ago, Peter36 said:

I also want to "feel" the shots, but with no pain. In the G4 I have taken a couple shots that have hit me in the middle of the chest, and knock the wind out of me. I am wondering if the protection given by a pro chest protector is worth investing in if I play AAA. I don't want to feel as though if I am hit in the chest/stomach, it will hurt.

Boy, that sounds like a few C/As I've had in the past. Arms are the worst, in my opinion. Consistent pain from shots to the arms suggests that your C/A is outclassed. I attribute all of this to a materials issue - a Brown, by example and all things being equal, with plastic over the foam blocks would likely guarantee that you wouldn't get the wind knocked out of you. I would bet most pro models would accomplish this, as well. 

9 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Not only is the protection better in a Pro unit, but the durability will be there as well.  Given that you're still growing you may not care as much about that, but you mentioned wanting something you could keep for a few years.   To give you an idea of how long a "pro" model can last, I'm in an original Warrior Ritual Pro unit and the protection is still plenty good after many years.  At some point I'll upgrade because the arms are a shade too long for me and I'd like better mobility, but given that I'm not getting hurt I'm just not that motivated to drop hundreds of dollars on it.   I'm confident enough in the unit to wait until I've lost another 50 pounds and have plenty of room in the large unit I should be wearing based on height and arm span instead of rushing into buying another XL to cover my gut and trying to make the arms work. 

On 3/6/2019 at 2:21 AM, Peter36 said:
I would definitely try on chest protectors at a store, but I am currently in Astana, Kazakhstan where there aren’t hockey stores that carry anything besides Bauer. I was looking at VE8 and the CCM Shield 2 because I have heard they are very light and mobile. Would you recommend either?

I use the CCM shield. I feel the shots, as in, I feel the pressure of it. It's just enough to let me know where it hit me. I've never felt actual pain though. I know looking at the chesty it seems like it's bulky, but it's really not. Can touch my nose, scratch my head, etc. So it's bulky but very mobile.

Can't say anything about the V8, never used it. Can say that I did have a Vaughn chest before and I left every game bruised. But that's not to say that they havn't done better with the V8.

16 hours ago, Peter36 said:

I have started to feel shots in my Warrior G4 Intermediate Chest protector. I'm currently a Bantam Major, on the ice usually 6-7 times a week. I just turned 15 and am 5'3". What chest protectors would you guys recommend? Considering trying something else for next season even though I started using the G4 at the beginning of this season. I want something light and mobile, but something where I feel confident I won't be feeling shots. Should I consider trying to get a small in senior instead of a XL in intermediate? Would it be worth investing in a Pro Carbon version of a chest protector? I want something I can use for a while and won't be feeling shots in. The G4 Intermediate is a good chest protector, but I just don't know if it will provide enough protection if I am playing U15 AAA.

im 15 too, i dont play AAA but the g4 senior is what i use and i dont have any issues w it

11 minutes ago, Max27 said:

im 15 too, i dont play AAA but the g4 senior is what i use and i dont have any issues w it

I have zero issues with my G2 Pro C/A as well and I play Varsity on a team where most of the kids are AA which means practices can be difficult sometimes for a 14 year old that doesn't play travel.

24 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I have zero issues with my G2 Pro C/A as well and I play Varsity on a team where most of the kids are AA which means practices can be difficult sometimes for a 14 year old that doesn't play travel.

i play just house rn bc i started hella late (im trying out for my school team in April tho) but in house all the kids that play travel play there for free here on LI so i constantly play vs them. I find im not dragging behind them in terms of skill level though, i dont feel behind, nor does anyone think i am, a kid once told me that he wished i played for his AAA team. everyone acts shocked when i tell them how long ive played. I play vs AAA, AA, Varsity, etc every week w my g4 senior and 0 issues.

10 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Not only is the protection better in a Pro unit, but the durability will be there as well.  Given that you're still growing you may not care as much about that, but you mentioned wanting something you could keep for a few years.   To give you an idea of how long a "pro" model can last, I'm in an original Warrior Ritual Pro unit and the protection is still plenty good after many years.  At some point I'll upgrade because the arms are a shade too long for me and I'd like better mobility, but given that I'm not getting hurt I'm just not that motivated to drop hundreds of dollars on it.   I'm confident enough in the unit to wait until I've lost another 50 pounds and have plenty of room in the large unit I should be wearing based on height and arm span instead of rushing into buying another XL to cover my gut and trying to make the arms work. 

Is it worth investing in an Senior Small or Senior pro small over a Intermediate XL if I am starting to grow more now?

7 hours ago, loki1416 said:

I use the CCM shield. I feel the shots, as in, I feel the pressure of it. It's just enough to let me know where it hit me. I've never felt actual pain though. I know looking at the chesty it seems like it's bulky, but it's really not. Can touch my nose, scratch my head, etc. So it's bulky but very mobile.

Can't say anything about the V8, never used it. Can say that I did have a Vaughn chest before and I left every game bruised. But that's not to say that they havn't done better with the V8.

You like the Shield 2? Good protection and mobility? Another issue I am having with G4 is head mobility, how is it on the Shield?

5 hours ago, Peter36 said:

You like the Shield 2? Good protection and mobility? Another issue I am having with G4 is head mobility, how is it on the Shield?

I have the Shield 1, Shield 2 came out not too long ago. But having seen both they are basically the same. Few cosmetic differences and different shape to the shoulder floaters on the 2. Once mine starts to go bad, will upgrade to the 2 (or 3 if it's out by then). I've also had mine for over a year and play 2-4 times a week in it. For about 4 months (or so) was using it 8 times a week.

Protection is the best I've ever used out of 3 chesty's (Vaughn ventus LT88, Vaughn V6 (I think) that a buddy let me try, and the CCM shield pro)

Mobility is very high. Like I said before, can touch the tip of my nose while wearing it. Cross body reaching isn't a problem.

Head mobility was a problem until I got the shoulder floaters just right. Once I got that figured out, there hasn't been a problem since. They are highly adjustable so there shouldn't be a problem.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:08 PM, Peter36 said:

If you can wait until April you will be very pleased with the new GT2 C/A line.  We increased protection in PRO, SR & INT units.  Here's a picture of the Pro for reference.  From a protection standpoint, the GT2 SR & INT blow the G4 SR & INT out of the water.   The GT2 Pro blows the original GT Pro out of the water as well.  Difficult to compare the GT2 Pro to G4 Pro though because the mechanical arm construction is insanely protective (in my opinion the most protective on the market).  GT2 Pro and G4 Pro are neck and neck.

2-19_RGT2Pro_CA.jpg

16 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Another issue I am having with G4 is head mobility, how is it on the Shield?

By chance is your C/A riding up on the front or back? This is an issue I used to have with my G2 Pro before I started tucking, tying them in, and wearing suspenders over C/A under the shoulder floaters.

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

By chance is your C/A riding up on the front or back? This is an issue I used to have with my G2 Pro before I started tucking, tying them in, and wearing suspenders over C/A under the shoulder floaters.

I've just started tucking and using suspenders over my C/A in the last year or so.  I always tied the front down but tucking and adding suspenders did wonders to make everything feel connected and give me more room up top.  The challenge now is having a larger opening around my collarbone, but a gel collar solved that problem and has been well worth the investment. 

7 hours ago, Kirk3190 said:

If you can wait until April you will be very pleased with the new GT2 C/A line.  We increased protection in PRO, SR & INT units.  Here's a picture of the Pro for reference.  From a protection standpoint, the GT2 SR & INT blow the G4 SR & INT out of the water.   The GT2 Pro blows the original GT Pro out of the water as well.  Difficult to compare the GT2 Pro to G4 Pro though because the mechanical arm construction is insanely protective (in my opinion the most protective on the market).  GT2 Pro and G4 Pro are neck and neck.

2-19_RGT2Pro_CA.jpg

WIll this be similar to the G2 at all? That is what I used before G4 and I loved how it felt.

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

No, I haven’t had this issue so far.

3 hours ago, Korppi32 said:

You should go to Warrior (GT or GT2). You can take off the lowest belly block line and attach it back once you grow more.

I previously used G2 and really liked it, will GT2 have good mobility/ will it be similar to G2?

15 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I previously used G2 and really liked it, will GT2 have good mobility/ will it be similar to G2?

Yes.  The biggest difference in Warrior chest lines are the arms.  The GT line has more classic arms.  It's my impression and as @Kirk3190 was able to confirm they'll add some protection without sacrificing mobility.

I was a die hard Vaughn C/A guy but after using the GT PRO you get the best of both worlds.  I'll likely be upgrading to the GT2 Pro when it's released 

Archived