Updating strapping on V6 pads

Vanniek71

I’ve wanted to try the new style of strapping that comes with the SLR’s, Brian’s etc, but since we are moving soon don’t have the funds to buy new pads. (Well I do but wife might kill me)

When I saw Kenesky was selling the rotation control/professor straps, I reached out and asked if they would sell me the Y strapping for the bottom of the pads too. I could just use that to mod my current pads to try it out. Mike at Kenesky was super helpful, sold me what I needed and even sent me some pics so I had an idea of how the strapping is attached to the pads. (I’ve been too lazy to drive to a store to check out new pads since my local store doesn’t carry goalie gear anymore.)

Anyways, I went to work and installed/sewed in the new strapping, removed the leather straps and got it all buttoned up. Since this is just a test I have temporarily sewn in the new strapping and left the buckles that go with the old leather straps. If I like it, I’ll go back in and pull the buckles as well and permanently sew in the new stuff. 

2319D1F3-D2F5-4632-8820-9258A7CC721F.jpeg

6626C48D-ED57-4002-8D16-4D6B259B21BB.jpeg

D269D81A-93D2-416A-B8EB-8EF0A9D02143.jpeg

E9C2B037-FF19-4BAD-AA28-1A3C2C44EE80.jpeg

A335B673-CB3E-4E5D-ACBA-92921D53FC39.jpeg

Wow, nice work.  Looks good.

It should save you some weight, too.   Late last year I upgraded from my V6 pads to the new VE8s and everything was so different, especially the weight.  I had all leather straps on my V6s.

I used my V6 set last week for the first time since switching and it was a huge, noticeable difference in so many ways but the weight was the biggest difference. 

The strapping for sure is one of many areas where the weight adds up. 

Hope you enjoy your new mods!  Are you going to maybe cut the buckles off if you like the new strapping?

I was going to say the same as @seagoal... If you want the weight saving of those buckles gone you can cut them or take them to a cobbler or sports repair place and have them remove them and re-sew that seam.

Kenesky has definitely filled the accessories void created by the implosion of Monster.  Great customer service and lightning fast shipping helps too! 

8 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I was going to say the same as @seagoal... If you want the weight saving of those buckles gone you can cut them or take them to a cobbler or sports repair place and have them remove them and re-sew that seam.

Kenesky has definitely filled the accessories void created by the implosion of Monster.  Great customer service and lightning fast shipping helps too! 

If I like the new setup, I will unstitch the seams and pull the buckles and extra top strap and sew it back up. I just didn’t want to remove them permanently if didnt like the new strapping system. 

If you followed the GSBB I was the guy that cut off my old pads at the knee and made them +4’s... so no cobbler needed :)

59 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Kenesky is a legit player in goalie gear.  Monster was one guy in his garage who expanded beyond his capabilities and then started pulling lots of funny shit.  When he sold his gear on eBay, you could overlook the fact that he was making a huge markup on what was basically shock cord and a plastic attachment.  When he got ambitious and hired lots of sales reps spreading shit all over social media, he started tanking.  I understand there may have been a tragedy in his family (I'm not 100% convinced because I no longer trust his honesty) but then stop taking orders until you get caught up.  Kenesky is doing it right.  Hire professionals and run a professional company.

I tried Monsters shock cord skate attachment toe ties and they were meh, the shock cord kept pulling through the loops on the skates. I had a mini HAL from previously so I combined  the two. Then I noticed that the toe tie attachment would disconnect if there was much force on my pad, so I made my own with double the Velcro. Haven’t had an issue since. 

I agree Kenesky customer service was awesome. Last time I dealt with Monster was the last time I’ll even attempt it. 

3F75CBA4-9E92-4137-8279-502E17C5629E.jpeg

21AAD08E-E7A8-4282-88BE-6EACF098340B.jpeg

DD92C8F1-C304-46F5-A125-6D2300D28ACF.jpeg

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Man I hope you never have to replace the elastic for the knee lock.  What a stupid design flaw Vaughn made that thing out to be.  

100% it’s fricking hard sewn in. Not terrible to unstitch to get it out, but stitching a new one in would be a pita. At that point I’d just upgrade it to Velcro attachment on the pad so you could easily replace it

8 minutes ago, Vanniek71 said:

100% it’s fricking hard sewn in. Not terrible to unstitch to get it out, but stitching a new one in would be a pita. At that point I’d just upgrade it to Velcro attachment on the pad so you could easily replace it

Its beyond my sewing skills.  I ended up buying a double sided velcro replacement strap from PAW and sandwiched it between the knee cradle and knee block.  It gets the job done mostly.

9 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Its beyond my sewing skills.  I ended up buying a double sided velcro replacement strap from PAW and sandwiched it between the knee cradle and knee block.  It gets the job done mostly.

If you get one of the speedy stitcher sewing awls it has a curved needle that helps. If I was to do it again, I’d just sew Velcro over where it’s attached from the factory and use the double sided Velcro straps.

Im hoping with the rotation straps I won’t need it at all

So took the pads out this morning with the new strapping and man do they play better. It actually made my butterfly seal better, they felt more responsive and my down game was much improved, just because I can get a better bite on the ice since the strapping allows more freedom. 

The only issue I had was my knee guards hanging up a few times on the outer knee flap which I won’t need anymore.

Will be removing the buckles, the top straps and the outer knee flap as soon as I get time. 

I wish I would have tried this earlier on!

23 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I can't quite tell for sure, did you secure the RRC strap to the main vertical lacing?

Yeah, the Kenesky strap has a loop that’s secured by a snap and Velcro. They fit any pads that have the verticals lacing in them. Snap them in and good to go

13 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

And that won't damage anything?  All that extra force on those laces won't damage anything internally?

Nah, there really isn’t much force on them, they basically just hold your knee in place like the old elastic strapping did. I wear mine pretty loose as well.

1 minute ago, Vanniek71 said:

True, I’ll keep an eye on it but I doubt anything will happen. 

Please do.  I would love to see how this plays out.  Even with the new knee elastics from PAW its just not the same.  I would get one of these and totally remove the knee cradle in a heartbeat if it will perform close to the same.

You guys inspired me!  I've got new pads on order from Warrior and swore I was done tweaking my SZ3 setup, but after looking at how the strapping was set up I realized that this was too easy not to try.   Some spare parts from my basement and 15 minutes with a Speedy Stitcher  resulted in this:

IMG_20190318_222521.thumb.jpg.4053d45e7b189be6181c4e969b0945f7.jpgIMG_20190318_222536.thumb.jpg.b82ddc27a2945b521093c58ccbe26e2c.jpg

As expected the pads sit higher and seem to close the 5-hole better(on carpet anyway).  An added bonus was a weight savings of 1/4 pound by removing the Smart Strap and boot strap.   I may end up giving that weight savings back by adding some padding for additional comfort but I"m going to see how these work when I play Thursday before deciding. 

On 3/14/2019 at 11:43 AM, seagoal said:

It should save you some weight, too.   Late last year I upgraded from my V6 pads to the new VE8s and everything was so different, especially the weight.  I had all leather straps on my V6s.

I used my V6 set last week for the first time since switching and it was a huge, noticeable difference in so many ways but the weight was the biggest difference. 

The strapping for sure is one of many areas where the weight adds up. 

On 3/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, cwarnar said:

I'm sorry, but if you find that a few straps are weighing you down/slowing you down/making you fatigue, it's time to get your chicken legs to the gym pronto and do multiple leg days per week.

1 minute ago, Naz said:

I'm sorry, but if you find that a few straps are weighing you down/slowing you down/making you fatigue, it's time to get your chicken legs to the gym pronto and do multiple leg days per week.

I’m just pulling my buckles so it looks good. I already have quadzillas and calves that look like aliens lol

29 minutes ago, Naz said:

Ha, fair enough. 

I've never claimed that, only that pads without leather straps are objectively lighter than modern stretchy strap pads.

Archived