EcoPro Toe Straps

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

@seagoal Could you check what diameter is that bungee cord? I was thinking of making something similar myself and right bungee cord is last thing I need.

Hey,

No problem. 

So I noticed that the cord on these toe ties is the exact same cord on my daily backpack.  Here is that measurement in both American and not-American in case you live elsewhere.

20190530_084035.thumb.jpg.bda63a68d3a639b200152d882d63bc42.jpg

20190530_084506.jpg

This is one solid bungee that you attach to the velcro tabs correct?  I have a lot of old friends begging me to come back to inline hockey for an annual HS alumni hockey tournament.  I contemplated it last year but things just fell through with my scheduling.  One of my worries regarding going back to inline is how I would utilize the bungee toe ties as there is no way I would be able to get my Pro Laces to work with wheels since you need a toe bridge.  I think I just found my solution if I were to participate in this tournament this year.  I had forgotten about this product so thank you for bumping this.

13 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This is one solid bungee that you attach to the velcro tabs correct?  I have a lot of old friends begging me to come back to inline hockey for an annual HS alumni hockey tournament.  I contemplated it last year but things just fell through with my scheduling.  One of my worries regarding going back to inline is how I would utilize the bungee toe ties as there is no way I would be able to get my Pro Laces to work with wheels since you need a toe bridge.  I think I just found my solution if I were to participate in this tournament this year.  I had forgotten about this product so thank you for bumping this.

You can get a pair for $20 at goalieparts.com

• 2 months later...

Word to the wise on these and and any bungee toe ties with eyelets on the velcro tabs:

I wasn't aware that I had one of the eyelets on my set start to bend and the sharp metal perimeter started to rip the bottom of my pad (which is nylon) and there is now, unfortunately, a hole in my right pad.  I have since bent the eyelets back into shape and wrapped them in sock tape for now.

I can post pics tonight.  Not sure what I am going to do about a repair without sending them off to Vaughn.

Anyway, make sure you are regularly checking the eyelets on your velcro tabs because if they start to fray they can slice the bottom of your pads.

19 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I can post pics tonight.  Not sure what I am going to do about a repair without sending them off to Vaughn.

Anyway, make sure you are regularly checking the eyelets on your velcro tabs because if they start to fray they can slice the bottom of your pads.

How big of a tear did they end up causing?

38 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Word to the wise on these and and any bungee toe ties with eyelets on the velcro tabs:

I wasn't aware that I had one of the eyelets on my set start to bend and the sharp metal perimeter started to rip the bottom of my pad (which is nylon) and there is now, unfortunately, a hole in my right pad.  I have since bent the eyelets back into shape and wrapped them in sock tape for now.

That's very unfortunate. 

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's very unfortunate. 

Yeah, it sucks.

I am more sad than angry. I take good care of my gear and it's coming up on a year I've had it and it was all doing great. 

It's a tricky spot and given that it's nylon it makes for a a tricky DIY repair,  I fear.

Just ugh.

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, it sucks.

I am more sad than angry. I take good care of my gear and it's coming up on a year I've had it and it was all doing great. 

It's a tricky spot and given that it's nylon it makes for a a tricky DIY repair,  I fear.

Just ugh.

Seems to be a definite overlook in the design.  The eyelet is probably entirely unnecessary to begin with.  

13 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Seems to be a definite overlook in the design.  The eyelet is probably entirely unnecessary to begin with.  

Agreed.  I'm going to remove them tonight and put leather washers on the insides of the velcro tabs.

I'll get pics when I go home for lunch and I'll be soliciting you guys on advice for repairs.  Looking on the positive side, my coworker/friend is  super crafty and very skilled with a sewing machine and has helped me a number of times over the years with gear repairs. 

14 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Agreed.  I'm going to remove them tonight and put leather washers on the insides of the velcro tabs.

I'll get pics when I go home for lunch and I'll be soliciting you guys on advice for repairs.  Looking on the positive side, my coworker/friend is  super crafty and very skilled with a sewing machine and has helped me a number of times over the years with gear repairs. 

Do you think that would even be necessary?

7 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Sorta.  It would be a precaution against the knot slipping through the hole in the (wet) jenpro velcro tab.  Might not be necessary, but just an easy precautionary step. 

I'll investigate it further when I work on them later tonight.

I just emailed Goalie Parts to let them know what happened, too.

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Sorta.  It would be a precaution against the knot slipping through the hole in the (wet) jenpro velcro tab.  Might not be necessary, but just an easy precautionary step. 

I'll investigate it further when I work on them later tonight.

I just emailed Goalie Parts to let them know what happened, too.

You're going to cover a hole in jenpro with another hole in jenpro.  Unless you plan on the washer being smaller than the hole in the tab.  That makes sense.

51 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I know from my brief stint as a Monster Rep, if the bungee is worn too tight the hole in the Jenpro will stretch and the knot will pull thru.  I'm guessing the eyelet is o prevent this and reinforce the hole.  

@seagoal I would recommend Pro Laces, the bungee is sewn into the velcro  tab, but unfortunately its hindsight now

11 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I know from my brief stint as a Monster Rep, if the bungee is worn too tight the hole in the Jenpro will stretch and the knot will pull thru.  I'm guessing the eyelet is o prevent this and reinforce the hole.  

@seagoal I would recommend Pro Laces, the bungee is sewn into the velcro  tab, but unfortunately its hindsight now

Thanks.  I'm going to order TGN Spec Pro Laces today.

Ouch.  Being its nylon and its easily frayed I would suggest some kind of adhesive patch.  Oddly enough I was in the break room at work a little while ago and a commercial for the flex seal tape stuff was on.  I don't know that I would specifically use that item but maybe something along those lines?

22 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Pics.

Any suggestions for an effective DIY repair are greatly appreciated. 

20190808_120013.jpg

20190808_120023.jpg

20190808_120139.jpg

You could go one of three ways:

1) buy some of the padwrap nylon. Cut a small patch for the inside and a larger for the outside. Pull up the nylon gently to put the small patch inside, then put the much larger one on the outside. Get a curved needle and sew it together optionally.

2) get a large patch of nylon to cover the entire section. It’s best if the outer edges are sewn down to prevent fraying. You could either glue it down with E6000 or sew it on with a curved needle.

3)cover the section with Jenpro and sew it on with a curved needle -OR- use jenpro padwrap and cover the section with it. 

5 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

You could go one of three ways:

1) buy some of the padwrap nylon. Cut a small patch for the inside and a larger for the outside. Pull up the nylon gently to put the small patch inside, then put the much larger one on the outside. Get a curved needle and sew it together optionally.

2) get a large patch of nylon to cover the entire section. It’s best if the outer edges are sewn down to prevent fraying. You could either glue it down with E6000 or sew it on with a curved needle.

3)cover the section with Jenpro and sew it on with a curved needle -OR- use jenpro padwrap and cover the section with it. 

I was thinking the repair would be a combination of adhesive patch and a cover on the whole area.

So if I had a patch of nylon or jenpro, I would want to cut the patch to the shape of that area but have it be too big at first...glue down the middle parts, sew the perimeter down to the navy blue jenpro on the pad outside the nylon area, and then trim the excess off?

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I was thinking the repair would be a combination of adhesive patch and a cover on the whole area.

So if I had a patch of nylon or jenpro, I would want to cut the patch to the shape of that area but have it be too big at first...glue down the middle parts, sew the perimeter down to the navy blue jenpro on the pad outside the nylon area, and then trim the excess off?

Correct.

The inside/outside is labour intensive, but is a long-lasting repair.

Archived