I Need Your Opinion

ThatCarGuy

Gear for next season  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Design has been revised. How's it look?

• Better now
    • Back to the drawing board

31 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Hate the retro tan look mixed with any colour.

I've yet to see anyone pull it off.

THIS!!!  You can use color on logos or accents but the only decent retro set with color I've seen is @chakal's old G3's and Gt's... but I would say that I don't love them

Related image

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

What do y'all think of these?

RG4.png.2e3ad68a32c7b93b626e7d279a9c2865.png

I'll probably be playing highschool hockey and travel next year and I'm about to outgrow my Vaughn's.

Here's both teams' jerseys if you want to come up with your own ideas here.

Image result for texas warriors hockeyImage result for richardson rockwall raiders hockey

Those are 2 really different color schemes,

Id just go with all white as boring as that sounds. Or id do all white with red trim like TGNs 1s set 

35 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Hate the retro tan look mixed with any colour.

I've yet to see anyone pull it off.

Me neither, I remember there was a set of VE8s that had brown accents and it looked like absolute shit

Obviously I don't hate the idea of mixing brown and color, since I'm doing it with my GT2 set, but I do prefer more brown and less color.  I also tend to think that retro looks better on a pad with knee rolls like the GT or Eflex.  I do think you could make this work, it just needs some work.

I didn't vote and that's because I don't love it neither do I hate it.

You gotta wear it, you gotta like. There's no fashion police for goalie gear out there. I also found that asking for opinions here or anyone else online where you post a mock up set just leads to one (or many) person that will do their own mock up and say "How about this". And then you start second guessing yourself. It'll make you crazy trying to please everyone. And before you say that that's not what you're trying to do, you clearly are since you're asking other when you should be asking yourself.

Do whatever makes you happy and what looks good in your mind and you can never go wrong.

Point for not doing a white base though.

Aside from the fact that I don't like the look of vintage pads with colors (I agree with Coop, I've barely seen any sets that pull it off, if any)... I just don't see the sense in having both vintage and red in the pads for your situation. You're only featuring *one* color of the teams you'd be playing for (a secondary color, to boot), with no blue, no black, no white — and then you're throwing in this mustard-tan color that neither team has. I don't think anyone would look at the pads you've mocked up and think they go well with either team. It's just not going to look good, imo.

Vintage is only a versatile/neutral scheme if you go full-vintage. Then at least your set would work with whatever team you play for. Versatility is a valuable thing when you're young and are constantly playing for different leagues, different teams, growing out of some gear but not other gear, etc.

If you really feel the need to match the teams you posted pictures of, why not just go with a white pad with red accents, or a red pad with white accents? That way, you are covering 2 of the 3 colors for both teams. Or hell, go full-red.

I think if you're not going to go full-vintage, it would be a mistake to have it at all — especially between two teams with different colors. Do whatever make you happy, of course, but I think there are some pretty sensible, logistical reason why the pads won't look good with either team.

13 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Aside from the fact that I don't like the look of vintage pads with colors (I agree with Coop, I've barely seen any sets that pull it off, if any)... I just don't see the sense in having both vintage and red in the pads for your situation. You're only featuring *one* color of the teams you'd be playing for (a secondary color, to boot), with no blue, no black, no white — and then you're throwing in this mustard-tan color that neither team has. I don't think anyone would look at the pads you've mocked up and think they go well with either team. It's just not going to look good, imo.

Vintage is only a versatile/neutral scheme if you go full-vintage. Then at least your set would work with whatever team you play for. Versatility is a valuable thing when you're young and are constantly playing for different leagues, different teams, growing out of some gear but not other gear, etc.

If you really feel the need to match the teams you posted pictures of, why not just go with a white pad with red accents, or a red pad with white accents? That way, you are covering 2 of the 3 colors for both teams. Or hell, go full-red.

I think if you're not going to go full-vintage, it would be a mistake to have it at all — especially between two teams with different colors. Do whatever make you happy, of course, but I think there are some pretty sensible, logistical reason why the pads won't look good with either team.

Thank you

I got to see a set of vintage G4 Pro Classics in person the other day and they're beautiful. I guess I'll go for full vintage then.

Thank you all for helping me pick. I tried to do something a little different and y'all didn't like it which is perfectly fine. Even I was a little unsure with my own creation.

One more thing, do you think all black could work with the red, white and blue team?

6 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Thank you

I got to see a set of vintage G4 Pro Classics in person the other day and they're beautiful. I guess I'll go for full vintage then.

Thank you all for helping me pick. I tried to do something a little different and y'all didn't like it which is perfectly fine. Even I was a little unsure with my own creation.

One more thing, do you think all black could work with the red, white and blue team?

I think you'd be better off going with either full-vintage or just colors, rather than trying to split the difference. I'm one of the people who can't stand all-white pads, and the vintage look has never been my thing... but I can't blame people a non-professional goalie for going that route. They work with everything. Well, vintage shouldn't work with everything, but based on the history of goalie gear and the decades of photos and video we've all been exposed to, our mind and eyes are sort of conditioned to perceive them as neutral.

I think all-black would look great with the red/white/black jerseys, but not with the red/white/blue ones — so short answer, no, I don't think it will work.

I mean, matching is great and all but as you eventually get into the beer leagues, you're going to find that despite your best efforts you're not going to match.

Hell, got my RGT's to match my team, 1.5 years later they folded. Now look at me.

So ultimately, choose something you like because you never know if they're going to match a teams colours or not.

IMG_0873.thumb.JPG.0fbe01468aed67480044717c600025a5.JPG

Untitled3.png.44f126ed7400a73876bde9d9fcf52ce7.png

16 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean, matching is great and all but as you eventually get into the beer leagues, you're going to find that despite your best efforts you're not going to match.

Hell, got my RGT's to match my team, 1.5 years later they folded. Now look at me.

So ultimately, choose something you like because you never know if they're going to match a teams colours or not.

IMG_0873.thumb.JPG.0fbe01468aed67480044717c600025a5.JPG

Untitled3.png.44f126ed7400a73876bde9d9fcf52ce7.png

Well if I went with something I liked I'd end up with all black. Vintage, as @stackem30 said, is a pretty neutral style and I love the look of it too. In other words, it sounds like I'll go for retro tan G4 Classics.

As long as you love what you're getting, you're good to go. Happy to advise/give input, and I definitely stand by what I wrote earlier — but make sure you're making your decision based on what you like. I'm just a dude on the internet (as far as you know).

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Well if I went with something I liked I'd end up with all black. Vintage, as @stackem30 said, is a pretty neutral style and I love the look of it too. In other words, it sounds like I'll go for retro tan G4 Classics.

Maybe try what I did, mostly black with white or vice versa, or maybe red to fit your team. I used padskinz to put powder blue accents for my teams jerseys next season, so many get padskinz for team colors. 

10 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Black could work, and you could toss in some red/blue accents and be a little more daring with your design.   Honestly, I think you're getting some negative feedback from some of the old farts (like me) because we remember the real old brown leather pads, and remember when color started seeping into them.  Seeing it on a modern graphic like the G4 just feels "off" somehow.  But at the end of the day, none of our opinions matter.  If your original design tickled your pickle then that's what you should go with.  I've gotten more negative feedback than positive on my color choices and designs for both sets of pads I was considering ordering.  However, it's my money so I'm going retro with my GT/2's and I'm going with dark green instead of kelly green despite the fact that the kelly would match our jerseys better.

I did spend a few minutes goofing around on the customizer for you:

TCG1.thumb.JPG.3723146de49f02cd3ec28b67bbb9017a.JPGTCG2.JPG.55498bdd414320a3cf30035b744056c6.JPG 

Archived