Knee Pads for my 40 year old knees (modified)

DrBeaver

I've tried a couple of set ups and was never fully satisfied. I currently use a set of Eflex 2s

I have Bauer Supremes and love the feel and protection but they were leaving my knees sore from impact and sometimes swollen and bruised. I'm 5'9" and about 190 but I still ear the juniors to cut down on the size. The straps are a little tight but they work and these things never slide down. The anchor strap is right above my calf and locks it all in place.

I then tried Passau with the maltese inserts but did not love fit as much and did not want to wear socks over top. I found they were catching on my pads and pants. I May not have given them a fiar shot as I moved on after 3-4 games.

Next I bought the Monster Knee blocks with Maltese and changed out the knee blocks in my eflex2's. Decent investment but do not fix my issue entirely.

Next I tapped a foam carpet tile inside the landing area of the Bauer Supreme. This worked for a while but I've had to change them out every now and then as they seem to loose some softness over time.

I knew the matlese foam pads from passau were a pretty good product, so I sold off the knee pads keeping the inserts. I took them to a shore repair place and had them, trimmed down to the same contours as my supreme knee pads and added a pass through hole for my knee strap. I've only used them 3 time now but they seem to be a good upgrade. I personally think the Bauers are great but the ability to replace and or dial in the landing area would be a great upgrade.

Dave

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

• 5 months later...

This looks great.  I did a similar thing with the Maltese left over from my monster knee blocks but not as permanent and found it was a pretty good solution for comfort.  Previous to that, the longest running solution that worked for me was using some volleyball kneepads inside the Bauer Supremes.  Since they have the anchor strap and keep everything pretty locked in place, didn't have to worry about the volleyball knee pads sliding up or down, and didn't even put them on my knees, just slotted them inside the Supremes.  Very cushy, and you can wash them after every icetime for a long time.

The Bauers were my favourites until I got the Maltese KTP's, since they went under though apparently EcoProFoam might be doing their own version but haven't heard from them on that front in a while.  Hopefully these do the trick for you!

On 3/24/2019 at 10:57 PM, DrBeaver said:

I've tried a couple of set ups and was never fully satisfied. I currently use a set of Eflex 2s

I have Bauer Supremes and love the feel and protection but they were leaving my knees sore from impact and sometimes swollen and bruised. I'm 5'9" and about 190 but I still ear the juniors to cut down on the size. The straps are a little tight but they work and these things never slide down. The anchor strap is right above my calf and locks it all in place.

I then tried Passau with the maltese inserts but did not love fit as much and did not want to wear socks over top. I found they were catching on my pads and pants. I May not have given them a fiar shot as I moved on after 3-4 games.

Next I bought the Monster Knee blocks with Maltese and changed out the knee blocks in my eflex2's. Decent investment but do not fix my issue entirely.

Next I tapped a foam carpet tile inside the landing area of the Bauer Supreme. This worked for a while but I've had to change them out every now and then as they seem to loose some softness over time.

I knew the matlese foam pads from passau were a pretty good product, so I sold off the knee pads keeping the inserts. I took them to a shore repair place and had them, trimmed down to the same contours as my supreme knee pads and added a pass through hole for my knee strap. I've only used them 3 time now but they seem to be a good upgrade. I personally think the Bauers are great but the ability to replace and or dial in the landing area would be a great upgrade.

Dave

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

It's interesting you mention the use of Junior sizing knee pads due to your heights etc... and I'm marginally taller at 5'10" and with the Senior 1S knee pads wondered if the Junior would actually fit me better. I find a touch of sliding down of the knee pad itself while the anchor strap holds in position... which feels sorta awkward.

I did something similar w/ a set of Reeboks I've had forever... merged them with the guts of a Passau set... but as they have gotten beat on over the years I did pick up a gently used pair of 1S knee pads and have been thinking of doing something similar to what you and I have both done to not only get some additional medial protection... but also for the knee landing itself. Missing that small dot of Poron doesn't feel too good in the few times I've worn them.

On 9/17/2019 at 2:14 AM, ser33 said:

I never had problems closing 5 holes and shots in my knee. I use knee protection solely to soften the blow they receive when my 90 kilograms fall on them in butterfly. I also added soft foam to my Bauer to soften this. You made a good mod

Exactly why I wear them

2 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I got use my Bauer G-Form knee padding last night, underneath my Warrior Seniors.  Highly recommend some form of padded or cushioning knee pads.  Zero soreness this more and the impact protection is awesome.

I plan to give this exact combo a shot next practice. 

12 minutes ago, benner33 said:

I plan to give this exact combo a shot next practice. 

My first game of the season I didn't want to try something new so I didn't wear them. And had some decently achy knees the next morning. Night and day difference from how I feel today after skating last night.  I think with the amount of force and time goalie spend in the butterfly now these types of cushioning knee pads should be standard in everyone's bag

Archived