My 3rd gen bungee toe ties....

beansbats

I have been playing around with sewing my own bungee toes since a playoff game where a knot pulled out of my original Monsters.  These are probably closer to the 5th or 6th generation, and I really like how the updates are working.  Are they any better than anyone else's?  Probably not, bungee is bungee after all.

Updates:  1.  Webbing is sewn into the bungee, so no knots to pull through.  2. D-ring tied in with a water knot so it will not pull out.  3. Single pull back piece of webbing with both the male and female velcro.

Review - 20 games in and they still work like new.

Any questions or comments are welcome!

-steve

IMG_9015.jpg

IMG_9019.jpg

IMG_9020.jpg

28 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

@beansbats what size shock cord did you use? Diameter and # of elastic strands bundled inside? 

👏👏👏 on yellow waxed laces... they'll always be my favorites.

It is 3/16" Sgt Knots marine grade off of Amazon.  I have no idea on the number of strands or pound rating.  I might have to try to find that information :)

18 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@beansbats are you able to post a pic showing the stitching where the shock cord is attached to the webbing? I’d like to see your technique if you don’t mind.

It is tough to see here because of the black thread with black webbing and velcro.  But it is stitched in with a "Z" pattern.  I have a 1940's industrial machine that does the job well.  I hope this helps.

-steve

IMG_9249.jpg

11 minutes ago, beansbats said:

It is tough to see here because of the black thread with black webbing and velcro.  But it is stitched in with a "Z" pattern.  I have a 1940's industrial machine that does the job well.  I hope this helps.

-steve

IMG_9249.jpg

Yes it does. Very nice. I’m using a semi-industrial grade 1950s Singer myself. It’s rock solid and excellent for this kind of stuff. 

13 hours ago, Vanniek71 said:

Those look really nice. I run a slightly different variation where the part that attaches to my skate stays there and I attach the pad via a Velcro tab. Love your D ring attachment, nice and sturdy!

Thank you!

• 3 months later...

Nice work.  My only concern would be if the cord broke or frayed you would have to replace the whole piece of it stitched in. Have you tried using a washer to keep the knot from slipping thru and then melting the knot with a lighter?

22 hours ago, MrGoalie said:

Nice work.  My only concern would be if the cord broke or frayed you would have to replace the whole piece of it stitched in. Have you tried using a washer to keep the knot from slipping thru and then melting the knot with a lighter?

I like these ideas, but I decided to go with the sewn in as a permanent attachment and just keep a second set of ties in my bag in case they do fail.

-steve

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2019 at 7:25 PM, TheWall0211 said:

What a surprise, the product from Monster didn’t hold up.  Shocker.

I ran in to the same issue with Monsters, so I upgraded, combined and Frankensteined a better version lol. I'm going to post my version in a new thread here shortly, just got a new set of pads so making the toe bridge for those now. 

• 4 months later...

Archived