Looking at New Chesties

CJ Boiss

I started goaltending two years ago, and I've been wearing a Vaughn V3 7500 that I picked up used and very well broken in. It was a budget buy, and I've gotten more out of it than I had any right to expect, but it's about time that I upgrade.

A lot of the chesties I've checked out in-store (Bauer, CCM, Brians, Brown) seem to have rib padding that rides all the way up into your armpit, which I've discovered I hate, and overall tend to be very stiff; like I'm strapping on a bunch of planks, rather than contoured body armour. I play a pretty mobile game, and don't want to feel like I'm fighting to move my arms or upper body. (I also wouldn't mind some shoulder floaters that don't ride up so close to my helmet, so I can track behind the net a little better)

I come up against some guys that can rip a hard shot pretty regularly, so I don't want to skimp on the materials. I've been looking at the McKenney Pro Spec 870, and Passau. Both seem to be along the lines of what I'm looking for, and won't break my bank the way a new carbon Vaughn model would. Does anyone have first-hand experience with either of those, or any other recommendations?

The new Kenesky chesty is a very comfortable, mobile, but protective unit, however, I ordered mine in December and still am waiting on it.

The Passau offers the same qualities and their customer service is second to none. I'd give them a serious look. 

4 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

I started goaltending two years ago, and I've been wearing a Vaughn V3 7500 that I picked up used and very well broken in. It was a budget buy, and I've gotten more out of it than I had any right to expect, but it's about time that I upgrade.

A lot of the chesties I've checked out in-store (Bauer, CCM, Brians, Brown) seem to have rib padding that rides all the way up into your armpit, which I've discovered I hate, and overall tend to be very stiff; like I'm strapping on a bunch of planks, rather than contoured body armour. I play a pretty mobile game, and don't want to feel like I'm fighting to move my arms or upper body. (I also wouldn't mind some shoulder floaters that don't ride up so close to my helmet, so I can track behind the net a little better)

I come up against some guys that can rip a hard shot pretty regularly, so I don't want to skimp on the materials. I've been looking at the McKenney Pro Spec 870, and Passau. Both seem to be along the lines of what I'm looking for, and won't break my bank the way a new carbon Vaughn model would. Does anyone have first-hand experience with either of those, or any other recommendations?

What CCM or Bauer model were you looking at that was affordable compared to Vaughn? 

It sounds like you are just used to a Vaughn and that’s what you should probably stick with. I’d look at a used Vaughn pro stock a clone like a McKenney or the Passau 

51 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Any opinions on VE8 Chesty? Currently looking into getting one.

Fit and feel are exactly the same as the v6/7 if your familiar with either of those. Very mobile and doesn’t take long to feel broken in but depending on your level of play you may want the beefed up version. The arms are still lacking a bit of protection compared to others but I don’t play at any level where that bothers me anymore. They’ve put enough carbon into the body that I haven’t felt any discomfort from any shots and I wear it tucked in. 

2 minutes ago, wox33 said:

Fit and feel are exactly the same as the v6/7 if your familiar with either of those. Very mobile and doesn’t take long to feel broken in but depending on your level of play you may want the beefed up version. The arms are still lacking a bit of protection compared to others but I don’t play at any level where that bothers me anymore. They’ve put enough carbon into the body that I haven’t felt any discomfort from any shots and I wear it tucked in. 

Is there a lot of head/shoulder mobility? 

Just now, Peter36 said:

Is there a lot of head/shoulder mobility? 

For me there is a ton of mobility but I wear suspenders and removed the extra pad behind the floaters. I would say it’s broken in enough now I could put those pads back in and I wouldn’t notice a difference but like I mentioned I don’t see hard enough shots anymore to justify it. 

2 minutes ago, wox33 said:

For me there is a ton of mobility but I wear suspenders and removed the extra pad behind the floaters. I would say it’s broken in enough now I could put those pads back in and I wouldn’t notice a difference but like I mentioned I don’t see hard enough shots anymore to justify it. 

Is it very adjustable?

2 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Is it very adjustable?

Not really. At least compared to the eflex/optik/warrior. You can easily make the neck line higher or lower but I’ve never been able to make the Velcro deals on the floaters do anything and the arms are not adjustable at all. Luckily for me a large fits pretty perfect off the shelf. 

Just now, wox33 said:

Not really. At least compared to the eflex/optik/warrior. You can easily make the neck line higher or lower but I’ve never been able to make the Velcro deals on the floaters do anything and the arms are not adjustable at all. Luckily for me a large fits pretty perfect off the shelf. 

Thanks for the help, you don't think the shoulder pads would hinder movement, correct?

6 hours ago, aircanuck said:

The new Kenesky chesty is a very comfortable, mobile, but protective unit, however, I ordered mine in December and still am waiting on it.

The Passau offers the same qualities and their customer service is second to none. I'd give them a serious look. 

I looked at the Kenesky chesties, but didn't see any pricing structure on their website. That, plus the wait time I'd heard about, put me off of them a bit. Good to hear about the Passau, though.

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

What CCM or Bauer model were you looking at that was affordable compared to Vaughn? 

It sounds like you are just used to a Vaughn and that’s what you should probably stick with. I’d look at a used Vaughn pro stock a clone like a McKenney or the Passau 

In my neck of the woods, Vaughn and Brians chesties typically run about $100 more than everyone else, in the $700 range. Which makes a difference, to me. That's why I went looking at the McKenney and Passau in the first place; the McKenney I could get for $400, and the Passau for $515.

7 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Thanks for the help, you don't think the shoulder pads would hinder movement, correct?

No. I had them in for a while and they weren’t an issue. I just realized I didn’t need them so I got even more mobility taking them out. 

3 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

I looked at the Kenesky chesties, but didn't see any pricing structure on their website. That, plus the wait time I'd heard about, put me off of them a bit. Good to hear about the Passau, though.

In my neck of the woods, Vaughn and Brians chesties typically run about $100 more than everyone else, in the $700 range. Which makes a difference, to me. That's why I went looking at the McKenney and Passau in the first place; the McKenney I could get for $400, and the Passau for $515.

Fair enough 

Would you consider used Vaughn pro stock? I had one and I got it for like $200 or $250?

@CJ Boiss Kenesky units are $700 CAD.  Passau also sometimes does have stock units available for order, I would send them an email or talk to the Uber Rep @GoalieTimmy33.

@McKenney Hockey also has new units coming, hopefully tomorrow we get info as they are launching their new XP1 line.

If you're in the US you really can't beat this - https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/chest-arm/sr-goalie-chest-arm-protectors/warrior-chest-protector-ritual-g2-pro-clsc.html

34 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Fair enough 

Would you consider used Vaughn pro stock? I had one and I got it for like $200 or $250?

I would. My pads and gloves are all used pro stock (Flames have an equipment sale at the end of each season). But I'd like to start breaking in my own gear. Just something different about a piece of equipment that's only ever been yours, you know?

27 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

@CJ Boiss Kenesky units are $700 CAD.  Passau also sometimes does have stock units available for order, I would send them an email or talk to the Uber Rep @GoalieTimmy33.

@McKenney Hockey also has new units coming, hopefully tomorrow we get info as they are launching their new XP1 line.

If you're in the US you really can't beat this - https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/chest-arm/sr-goalie-chest-arm-protectors/warrior-chest-protector-ritual-g2-pro-clsc.html

I'll have to keep an eye on what McKenney launches. If their old line ends up on sale that might make my decision for me.

And I'm in Canada. Between the exchange rate and shipping and handling, it's unfeasible to get equipment from over the border.

8 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I would. My pads and gloves are all used pro stock (Flames have an equipment sale at the end of each season). But I'd like to start breaking in my own gear. Just something different about a piece of equipment that's only ever been yours, you know?

I'll have to keep an eye on what McKenney launches. If their old line ends up on sale that might make my decision for me.

And I'm in Canada. Between the exchange rate and shipping and handling, it's unfeasible to get equipment from over the border.

Agreed... I iwsh the Loonie was still at par.

Canadian wise, I'd look for deals on current stock as the new stuff is rolling out.  Don Simmons may have some deals as they're liquidating existing inventory!

On 3/31/2019 at 3:43 AM, CJ Boiss said:

Passau makes a great unit and feels very similar to a Vaughn.  I try pretty much everything that hits the market at least once and have never worn anything as mobile AND protective as the Passau Pro Pack.  The only knock I give it is weight (7lbs avg.).  I recently picked up a Warrior G2 Pro Classic to try out because it was very light and mobile.  I come off the ice bruised in at least 1 spot about 75% of the time.  I don't mind a bruise every now and again...pucks always seem to find that spot eventually, but when it becomes a regular thing I start flinching and I hate that. 

On 3/31/2019 at 4:03 AM, aircanuck said:

I gave him the original P1 to base off of in February 2018 and am still waiting on mine.  Pro orders I understand, but regular customer orders are getting done before mine. 

20 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

Passau makes a great unit and feels very similar to a Vaughn.  I try pretty much everything that hits the market at least once and have never worn anything as mobile AND protective as the Passau Pro Pack.  The only knock I give it is weight (7lbs avg.).  I recently picked up a Warrior G2 Pro Classic to try out because it was very light and mobile.  I come off the ice bruised in at least 1 spot about 75% of the time.  I don't mind a bruise every now and again...pucks always seem to find that spot eventually, but when it becomes a regular thing I start flinching and I hate that. 

@CJ Boiss I'd second the Passau. While mine is not the lightest unit I've worn ( 6lbs 15oz. with Pro Pack & Maltese) it is a tank. If you you go down this path and go custom... a couple things I might change on mine that might help make it more like the V3 7500 you're use to (and things I would likely change on mine)...

1. Reduce 1/2" to 3/4" from the outside of the floater
  2. Add breaks in the floater. 

9 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

@CJ Boiss I'd second the Passau. While mine is not the lightest unit I've worn ( 6lbs 15oz. with Pro Pack & Maltese) it is a tank. If you you go down this path and go custom... a couple things I might change on mine that might help make it more like the V3 7500 you're use to (and things I would likely change on mine)...

1. Reduce 1/2" to 3/4" from the outside of the floater
  2. Add breaks in the floater. 

Custom isn't something I can afford at the moment. I probably will order a Passau in the next few months here; whatever I get, I'm sure I'll adjust.

Archived