TGN's Living Bauer 2X Pro Deep Dive

TheGoalNet

17 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

I find the new ones generally close well, it's the opening that's hard :)

Had the same thought when I demo'd 1X and 2S... closure wasn't the problem... opening it was. I actually spent some time steaming the 2S, switching between stretching it open and wrapping it closed. Certainly helped... although I wouldn't use the same steaming method on non-demo gear.

16 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Actually thought these were the low point of the pads during my skate today... Either the bungee sucks compared to Pro Laces or it's way too long. I took it in once and will do it again before my next skate.

IMO... both. Bungee is a smaller diameter than what ProLaces uses... and while the design allows you customize the tension by shortening the cord... it also shortens the life of the cord because you're putting more stress on the smaller diameter cord. Thus my question before about slapping on some Hybrid ProLaces.

@BadAngle41 - Glove felt more 580 than 590 to me. Fingers really overlap to seal it.

That could be the single best piece of feedback I have heard about 2X thus far. Looking forward to hearing about the blocker as well. I thought 1X felt pretty good actually; aside from the index finger protection getting in the way a bit, and I did notice the palm placement compared to my usual centered. But both things I think I could get used to. What are your first impressions of it compared to say P2?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Hi all... Just learned a black back is coming to retail. For anyone who feels the white leg channel is a deal breaker, your problems are solved!

YES! Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! Now I'm actually interested in 2X gear

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Hi all... Just learned a black back is coming to retail. For anyone who feels the white leg channel is a deal breaker, your problems are solved!

Until I get my blue backing with blue aerolite, I'll stay with white 😜

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

YES! Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! Now I'm actually interested in 2X gear

I get the excitement. I want to match as much as the next guy ( and probably more)... but dude, you should never base a purchase off the color of the leg channel!

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

I get the excitement. I want to match as much as the next guy ( and probably more)... but dude, you should never base a purchase off the color of the leg channel!

I know, and I probably still won't pick these over some other gear but it's just a minor step by Bauer that should've been there in the first place.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Just a quick note on this. It appears that only the backing will be black. The calf wrap and velcro will still be white. Correct me if you hear any different.

I can't stand how gross white nylon looks after a few skates, so this is great news for me. 

8 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Just a quick note on this. It appears that only the backing will be black. The calf wrap and velcro will still be white. Correct me if you hear any different.

I can't stand how gross white nylon looks after a few skates, so this is great news for me. 

I will know soon and will confirm. There will be an updated customizer coming closer to launch. That will offer more premium up charge options and the black.

21 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

15 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

While I'd still purchase with a white backing... I agree w/ @goalieThreeOne that i just don't like that wear on my leg pads (or the binding of my glove/blocker.) My C/A... sure get some patina... but happens too fast and if black is available I'll probably go that route for the sake of my OCD.

Unfortunately not. +1 single T is the 🐐 

Although, I normally steer away from a double T, I’d definitely consider a double T here because of the depth limitation 

Out of the box closure is pretty close to GNetik IV, really good that way 

@Aquilzz Did an hour with 1 shooter. Was gased and dripping sweat post skate. Glove wasn’t overly wet 

Thoughts on the blocker and the new thinner design? If I'm correct the 2S has an offset high position and the 2X has a centered position?

3 hours ago, heyclaytay said:

Thoughts on the blocker and the new thinner design? If I'm correct the 2S has an offset high position and the 2X has a centered position?

Yes, that's correct

It's very light. Any concerns over the thinness would really come long term. Thin blockers were all the rage about 10 years ago and it never stuck. Bauer Vapor, Vaughn Epic, and CCM Blockade all jump to mind.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yes, that's correct

It's very light. Any concerns over the thinness would really come long term. Thin blockers were all the rage about 10 years ago and it never stuck. Bauer Vapor, Vaughn Epic, and CCM Blockade all jump to mind.

Does it stick out as far? If it doesn't, couldn't you make the argument that you're giving up coverage?

3 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Does it stick out as far? If it doesn't, couldn't you make the argument that you're giving up coverage?

I don't follow? The parameter of the blocker didnt change. Are you thinking about like an upward angle?

@TheGoalNet... question on 2X blocker. My understanding was that (at least in V1) Supreme has a centered position and Vapor was set low... to the point where finger protection extended beyond the blocker board. But based on your 2X pictures compared to the 1X... the Vapor position looks to be centered. Is that correct? 

image.thumb.png.2aeb53dd6989750c7fca5d02e7ead2f4.pngimage.thumb.png.d0053d4658bcf6783093f444d98c0974.png

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

@TheGoalNet... question on 2X blocker. My understanding was that (at least in V1) Supreme has a centered position and Vapor was set low... to the point where finger protection extended beyond the blocker board. But based on your 2X pictures compared to the 1X... the Vapor position looks to be centered. Is that correct? 

image.thumb.png.2aeb53dd6989750c7fca5d02e7ead2f4.pngimage.thumb.png.d0053d4658bcf6783093f444d98c0974.png

Owning a 2s set and having tried the 2x ON ICE, I'd say hand placement felt the same to me.

12 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Would need to confirm with bauer because things can be subtle... but yes, feels centered. 

On 3/26/2019 at 9:57 AM, goalieThreeOne said:

@TheGoalNet So knee guards are not included with the 2X Pro this time around? That's a shame because I could use another set and most of the big stores seem to always be sold out

Not included. I’ve seen them at plenty retailers in the states. 

18 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

From playing iut here at the end of the season and comparing it to my 1X blocker it seems quite similar, more a trick on the eyes because of the different board.

I really like the low hand placement and had issues playing with other placements like on the ccm blockers, no issues switching to 2X.

• 2 weeks later...

@TheGoalNet What do you think of the quality of the 2X so far? I know you have not had the chance to test it out for long so durability is hard to answer I guess 😅I'm planning on ordering a custom 2X pro set of my own. Replacing my Warrior GT pro.

4 hours ago, TK30 said:

@TheGoalNet What do you think of the quality of the 2X so far? I know you have not had the chance to test it out for long so durability is hard to answer I guess 😅I'm planning on ordering a custom 2X pro set of my own. Replacing my Warrior GT pro.

Don't see any issues with the quality. I know Bauer has made changed to improve the quality in the retail version of these pads vs the first wave of pads that went to Pros earlier this year too.

@TK30 - How often are you on the ice? How long do you intend to keep this gear?

14 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Don't see any issues with the quality. I know Bauer has made changed to improve the quality in the retail version of these pads vs the first wave of pads that went to Pros earlier this year too.

@TK30 - How often are you on the ice? How long do you intend to keep this gear?

@TheGoalNet Thanks for the info! That's good news.

I'm on ice quite frequently. 2-3 times a week + a game. The Warriors I have now have held up well for two seasons (pads) but have gone way to soft for me... The wear on the pads have been great. Better than what i thought it was going to be. The previois set I had before the Warriors was CCM Eflex 2 860 and they broke down fast! Gloves i've changed up from the GT to G4.

I hope the Bauers will be just as good (if not better :) ). I have played around with the customizer, so if im going with Bauer 2X it will be with the powerlite thigh and double T glove with Pro palm. 

1 minute ago, TK30 said:

@TheGoalNet Thanks for the info! That's good news.

I'm on ice quite frequently. 2-3 times a week + a game. The Warriors I have now have held up well for two seasons (pads) but have gone way to soft for me... The wear on the pads have been great. Better than what i thought it was going to be. The previois set I had before the Warriors was CCM Eflex 2 860 and they broke down fast! Gloves i've changed up from the GT to G4.

I hope the Bauers will be just as good (if not better :) ). I have played around with the customizer, so if im going with Bauer 2X it will be with the powerlite thigh and double T glove with Pro palm. 

If you plan to keep the pads for 1-2 seasons, I think you should be okay. Any gear will break down with 3-4 ice sessions a week after a couple years. That's just life.

Archived