Jump to content
TheGoalNet

TGN's Living Bauer 2X Pro Deep Dive

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

If you plan to keep the pads for 1-2 seasons, I think you should be okay. Any gear will break down with 3-4 ice sessions a week after a couple years. That's just life.

@TheGoalNet True. That's life as a goalie! I just wanted your 2cents on them after watching your unboxing. Your pads look awesome and I hope to order a set soon 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Deep Dive video:

Will Pro Laces attach to that Stock Toe Bridge?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How flexible are the pads? Also, do you have any idea what the stock colors will look like? Are the pads/glove similar to vaughn at all?

Edited by Peter36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:35 AM, goalieThreeOne said:

Very glad to see the abrasion zone inside the calf wrap. That's literally the only area on my 1x pads that shows any wear whatsoever.

@goalieThreeOne I have 1X pads as well and was wondering if you had any issues with your pads not rotating back completely when you stood up?  After playing with strapping all season, I think I'm to the point where it's the best I will get with them.  I really liked the freedom around my knee guards by having the knee strap down to the calf wrap as well as the rotation going down to the butterfly however not having the pads rotate back very well forced me to place the knee strap behind the knee.

According to The Hockey Shop's 2X review on their website, Bauer fixed this by adding elastic straps to attach the bottom of the calf wrap to the pads to help the pads rotate back.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue I've had.  I wonder if I could add an elastic strap to my 1X pads in that same location.  Here's the quote from the site:

Elastic in Boot Channel

The 2X Pro leg pads have added in a bungee feature in the lower boot to allow more ankle/leg mobility as well as create a more reactive pad. Another reason for this interesting feature is to allow the pad to fully rotate and come back to its original position when dropping into the butterfly and standing back up. This is a major improvement over the 1X that had some complaints stating they don’t rotate back fully.

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/blogs/goalie-gear-reviews/bauer-vapor-2x-pro-leg-pads-review

@TheGoalNet How did you find the 2X to rotate back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Deltadre said:

@goalieThreeOne I have 1X pads as well and was wondering if you had any issues with your pads not rotating back completely when you stood up?  After playing with strapping all season, I think I'm to the point where it's the best I will get with them.  I really liked the freedom around my knee guards by having the knee strap down to the calf wrap as well as the rotation going down to the butterfly however not having the pads rotate back very well forced me to place the knee strap behind the knee.

According to The Hockey Shop's 2X review on their website, Bauer fixed this by adding elastic straps to attach the bottom of the calf wrap to the pads to help the pads rotate back.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue I've had.  I wonder if I could add an elastic strap to my 1X pads in that same location.  Here's the quote from the site:

Elastic in Boot Channel

The 2X Pro leg pads have added in a bungee feature in the lower boot to allow more ankle/leg mobility as well as create a more reactive pad. Another reason for this interesting feature is to allow the pad to fully rotate and come back to its original position when dropping into the butterfly and standing back up. This is a major improvement over the 1X that had some complaints stating they don’t rotate back fully.

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/blogs/goalie-gear-reviews/bauer-vapor-2x-pro-leg-pads-review

@TheGoalNet How did you find the 2X to rotate back?

What they're referring to is the HAL Bungee toe ties, not a calf elastic. I've never had rotation issue on my 1X pads. They have HALs installed too, so that might correct your issue.

My strapping:

- Medium tunefit strap with the tab roughly 3 inches from the top of the velcro loop patch on the calf wrap

- Knee elastic down to the calf wrap

- No boot strap, no extra calf strapping

- Bungee toe ties, snug

Recently I've added a professor strap kit from Kenesky and I don't think I'll ever go back. I've never been more connected to my pads. I can finally close my five hole. I will probably remove the Tunefit strap altogether to save a step getting dressed. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheGoalNet if I am currently in VE8 intermediate, but feel that they are too soft, do you think these would be a good option? I want something stiffer, but not something that barely flexes. I’m on the ice practicing about 5-6 times a week during a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 9:40 AM, Deltadre said:

@goalieThreeOne I have 1X pads as well and was wondering if you had any issues with your pads not rotating back completely when you stood up?  After playing with strapping all season, I think I'm to the point where it's the best I will get with them.  I really liked the freedom around my knee guards by having the knee strap down to the calf wrap as well as the rotation going down to the butterfly however not having the pads rotate back very well forced me to place the knee strap behind the knee.

According to The Hockey Shop's 2X review on their website, Bauer fixed this by adding elastic straps to attach the bottom of the calf wrap to the pads to help the pads rotate back.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue I've had.  I wonder if I could add an elastic strap to my 1X pads in that same location.  Here's the quote from the site:

Elastic in Boot Channel

The 2X Pro leg pads have added in a bungee feature in the lower boot to allow more ankle/leg mobility as well as create a more reactive pad. Another reason for this interesting feature is to allow the pad to fully rotate and come back to its original position when dropping into the butterfly and standing back up. This is a major improvement over the 1X that had some complaints stating they don’t rotate back fully.

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/blogs/goalie-gear-reviews/bauer-vapor-2x-pro-leg-pads-review

@TheGoalNet How did you find the 2X to rotate back?

I struggled a bit with rotation back to center with the stock Monster laces. It felt better with the Pro Laces. I have changed my strapping basically every time I have used these pads, so it's hard to have a definitive answer here. There might be a good strapping to make this work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 10:41 AM, Peter36 said:

@TheGoalNet if I am currently in VE8 intermediate, but feel that they are too soft, do you think these would be a good option? I want something stiffer, but not something that barely flexes. I’m on the ice practicing about 5-6 times a week during a season.

The boot flex, book break angle, and shape with be very similar to the Vaughn. The rest of the pad will be stiffer. If that sounds like it would work for you, you should be in good shape. If you are concerned Bauer is too stiff, I would go with EF4. You should be able to dial something in with the CCM customizer.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 11:25 AM, goalieThreeOne said:

What they're referring to is the HAL Bungee toe ties, not a calf elastic.

They actually did add some elastic to the bottom of the calf wrap, basically instead of stitching it to the boot. I feel like that would help with 1 issue I have from time to time where the inside leg channel wall will end up sitting on the very top of my skate at the ankle. 

Probably not a game changer but an interesting spec at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

They actually did add some elastic to the bottom of the calf wrap, basically instead of stitching it to the boot. I feel like that would help with 1 issue I have from time to time where the inside leg channel wall will end up sitting on the very top of my skate at the ankle. 

Probably not a game changer but an interesting spec at least

I agree. I think that it’s a very intuitive little option, but I do not know if it makes a world of difference or not 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

They actually did add some elastic to the bottom of the calf wrap, basically instead of stitching it to the boot. I feel like that would help with 1 issue I have from time to time where the inside leg channel wall will end up sitting on the very top of my skate at the ankle. 

Probably not a game changer but an interesting spec at least

I noticed that the second time i read through the THS review. I never had any problem with that area. I know the Supreme has a tendency to get the calf wrap stuck in the top of the boot unless you cinch it down. I'm glad it's there but it doesn't really change anything for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...