TGN's Living Bauer 2X Pro Deep Dive

TheGoalNet

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I continue to count the days until I can start of the process of placing my custom order... I've been looking a lot of combinations of specs out there on the 2X. Perusing Sideline Swap I saw Ivan Prosetov's 2X set is up for sale and the thickness "Insert Profile" of the shin caught my eye as pretty thick... so my intention was to dissect the rest of specs... but honestly... does anyone see anything about this entire setup that isn't just 2S skinned as 2X???

(https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie-full-sets/816620-bauer-2x-xl-goalie-set-two-gloves)

image.png.5f0d1d20da10348ae45f3a3583604ef0.png

image.thumb.png.4eb2c8370df8394a5e52209400501b01.png  image.thumb.png.48037e05b6b6d638c007e9bd3ff279a1.png

image.png.059c2b873bbc1f150cc662c3397d4919.png  image.png.bd4f8e6a39cf2f31ca74a14ae629effd.png

image.thumb.png.3a352734c2d9715579917e5291d7fe2a.png

5 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

As I continue to count the days until I can start of the process of placing my custom order... I've been looking a lot of combinations of specs out there on the 2X. Perusing Sideline Swap I saw Ivan Prosetov's 2X set is up for sale and the thickness "Insert Profile" of the shin caught my eye as pretty thick... so my intention was to dissect the rest of specs... but honestly... does anyone see anything about this entire setup that isn't just 2S skinned as 2X???

(https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie-full-sets/816620-bauer-2x-xl-goalie-set-two-gloves)

image.thumb.png.4eb2c8370df8394a5e52209400501b01.png  image.thumb.png.48037e05b6b6d638c007e9bd3ff279a1.png

image.png.059c2b873bbc1f150cc662c3397d4919.png  image.png.bd4f8e6a39cf2f31ca74a14ae629effd.png

The catchers are 100% 2s skinned as 2x Pro. 

Blocker incline looks straighter than Vapor so likely 2s. 

The pads only share a few features with 2x Pro that I can tell: Cosmetics and boot taper. All the rest looks 2s. The only thing I can't tell from these pictures is the elg channel width which may be tight (Vapor) or wide (Supreme)

7 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

That's all 2S. The blocker would have Aerolite on the wrist pad and that has breathable mesh foam.

On 5/11/2019 at 4:10 AM, Korppi32 said:

Left one might be game glove (2S) and right one practice. But are those even same model? Palm and pocket shapes/sizes seem to be different.

Some of that could be based on if he smashes the pocket T between between plays or drill reps. Both have the horizontal cuff lace, so based off 2S

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

BC69436C-5D48-48B7-9186-82C050DD1C95.jpeg

7883F6BA-3D89-436B-AF22-BDCCFBC969A5.jpeg

4CBD39C3-A5B0-4300-9665-965E94E94235.jpeg

85147176-8372-4606-B309-230726201CD6.jpeg

In no particular order...

• Interesting use of a spring stop toggles on the arm attachments
  • Fan of the breaks on the shoulder floaters (both along the top and at the Free Flex zone) 
  • Wrist protection addition is nice and simple. Easy to make something like that complicated with elastic and D rings etc.

On 5/10/2019 at 7:48 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

@BadAngle41 that's not right, someone should correct that post. Some people may not be knowledgeable and get screwed. let him know of this and to change the post. 

No idea if it was my feedback to the seller or not... but the description now says...

Unreleased Bauer 2x goalie pads blocker and gloves.

Size is XL (36+1), pads are 2s skinned as 2x

Strapping system is the 2s system 

Gloves are 600 break clones

Pro return from OHL

I'd hope that anyone who shells out the $2,600 the seller is asking for takes a good look and understands what they're buying.

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

@TheGoalNet That 2X chest looks like the complete opposite from the 1X.  I know when I saw KVG in it it didn't look nearly as stiff.

Hopefully that's the case as the 1X was the stiffest chesty I've ever used. I'd be interested to see how it actually is on ice since the 1X looked like a mobile unit in pictures but didn't play like one. Not that I am in the market for a new one for a while but I will definitely be interested in hearing how this thing plays.

1 hour ago, wox33 said:

Hopefully that's the case as the 1X was the stiffest chesty I've ever used. I'd be interested to see how it actually is on ice since the 1X looked like a mobile unit in pictures but didn't play like one. Not that I am in the market for a new one for a while but I will definitely be interested in hearing how this thing plays.

Agreed... I went to an LHS and was chatting with the staff and they said the 1X was their worst selling unit last year.  I was mentioning how I prefer the more flexible Vaughn/Warrior GT style and they said its the complete opposite.

I'm curious to see the reviews on the 2X... Seems like the whole line has the potential to be their most successful yet

27 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I'm curious to see the reviews on the 2X... Seems like the whole line has the potential to be their most successful yet

I was thinking the same thing. It seems like Bauer has gotten really good at taking feedback from users and then applying it in the next product release. Since the skates also look like they improved on some of the shortcomings of the 1X.

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@cwarnar + @wox33 - This chesty is essentially the same shape as the 1X, but follows the Vapor theme of being flexible. It's kinda like a VE8 and 1X had a love child. It's very flexible out of the box and very flexible, yet it has Curv, Aerolite, and some high end materials.

I was kind of getting that vibe from it as well since it seems to hold the same shape as the Vaughn when it's just sitting there. If they found a way to create a chesty that is as comfortable and mobile as the Vaughn while using higher tech materials to make it more protective without adding bulk I would be very impressed.

6 minutes ago, wox33 said:

I was kind of getting that vibe from it as well since it seems to hold the same shape as the Vaughn when it's just sitting there. If they found a way to create a chesty that is as comfortable and mobile as the Vaughn while using higher tech materials to make it more protective without adding bulk I would be very impressed.

I will wear it on Thursday

On 5/14/2019 at 7:58 AM, BadAngle41 said:

In no particular order...

• Interesting use of a spring stop toggles on the arm attachments
  • Fan of the breaks on the shoulder floaters (both along the top and at the Free Flex zone) 
  • Wrist protection addition is nice and simple. Easy to make something like that complicated with elastic and D rings etc.

The arm design is very unique. The arms are sewn in like a Vaughn, but you use the toggle string to tweak the length. They essentially ship you a set of long arms and you let you trim to length for a custom fit.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

Really looking forward for some details of how this unit works on the ice. I was considering buying 1X but comments about its stiffness hold me back. After initial information about 2X I think this could be it.

Only used it 1 skate so far. It's extremely comfortable. The arms felt slightly in the "wrong" place if that makes any sense. I expect that to be an issue of adjustment and will probably get that dialed in over the next few skates.

Walked into a hockey shop last week to get a feel for 2X Pro pads and finalize specs before ordering (more to come on them later on)... ended up not only doing that but trying on some of the latest skates. In my mind I really wanted to go custom AS1 w/ XSG holders... but after putting on the AS1, FT2, 2S Pro, and the 2X Pro... the fit and feel of the 2X Pro was just too good to pass up. The combination of the Lock-Fit Pro Liner, Aerofoam Memory Ankle Pad, and Dynamic Flex Tongue made me realize how much I was simply putting up with in my S190s (which I can fairly say were purchased to get into cowlingless skate.) Heel feels very locked in, my ankles didn't feel like they were in a vise, and I could get a deeper flex... checking every box on my list. Consequently I pulled the trigger on them.

Worth noting is that I did have my S190s with me to get sharpened at the time... and being a long time SuperFeet user I threw them into the 2X Pros (assuming I'd end up doing that anyway.) But the stock Lock-Fit Pro insoles actually felt much better. The SuperFeet raised my heel up just enough to not feel as locked in as the stock insoles. So for the first time in a very long time it looks like I won't using an aftermarket insole.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Walked into a hockey shop last week to get a feel for 2X Pro pads and finalize specs before ordering (more to come on them later on)... ended up not only doing that but trying on some of the latest skates. In my mind I really wanted to go custom AS1 w/ XSG holders... but after putting on the AS1, FT2, 2S Pro, and the 2X Pro... the fit and feel of the 2X Pro was just too good to pass up. The combination of the Lock-Fit Pro Liner, Aerofoam Memory Ankle Pad, and Dynamic Flex Tongue made me realize how much I was simply putting up with in my S190s (which I can fairly say were purchased to get into cowlingless skate.) Heel feels very locked in, my ankles didn't feel like they were in a vise, and I could get a deeper flex... checking every box on my list. Consequently I pulled the trigger on them.

Worth noting is that I did have my S190s with me to get sharpened at the time... and being a long time SuperFeet user I threw them into the 2X Pros (assuming I'd end up doing that anyway.) But the stock Lock-Fit Pro insoles actually felt much better. The SuperFeet raised my heel up just enough to not feel as locked in as the stock insoles. So for the first time in a very long time it looks like I won't using an aftermarket insole.

I had similar experience when I went from 1S to 2S Pro. The additional ankle padding, taller steel, and lock fit make a world of difference. It will be very interesting to compare 2S and 2X!

Archived