TGN's Living Bauer 2X Pro Deep Dive

TheGoalNet

12 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Walked into a hockey shop last week to get a feel for 2X Pro pads and finalize specs before ordering (more to come on them later on)... ended up not only doing that but trying on some of the latest skates. In my mind I really wanted to go custom AS1 w/ XSG holders... but after putting on the AS1, FT2, 2S Pro, and the 2X Pro... the fit and feel of the 2X Pro was just too good to pass up. The combination of the Lock-Fit Pro Liner, Aerofoam Memory Ankle Pad, and Dynamic Flex Tongue made me realize how much I was simply putting up with in my S190s (which I can fairly say were purchased to get into cowlingless skate.) Heel feels very locked in, my ankles didn't feel like they were in a vise, and I could get a deeper flex... checking every box on my list. Consequently I pulled the trigger on them.

Worth noting is that I did have my S190s with me to get sharpened at the time... and being a long time SuperFeet user I threw them into the 2X Pros (assuming I'd end up doing that anyway.) But the stock Lock-Fit Pro insoles actually felt much better. The SuperFeet raised my heel up just enough to not feel as locked in as the stock insoles. So for the first time in a very long time it looks like I won't using an aftermarket insole.

I thought you ended up ordereding the 1x in EE or was it someone else 🤔

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I thought you ended up ordereding the 1x in EE or was it someone else 🤔

That was me. My feet were hurting too much to wait for any of the new models to be in stock so I just went with a better fitting pair of 1Xs. 

On 5/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Skates 

94157367-AB85-43A7-8CD8-DC5AC8E8B2D9.jpeg

40A11450-1142-4E1A-BAA2-C056EBA2380C.jpeg

D9F8D75B-C74D-4DF8-9E09-05E6B345A6F3.jpeg

E4FB00AB-6773-4276-BB22-EDCDC54D0F10.jpeg

D0F46F47-C83B-4A8F-95D5-714143BD58F7.jpeg

7BFE3AC0-654D-44E3-BD70-AF3ED97FE5F7.jpeg

515F6190-8D9D-4C0B-A4EC-3C807CCEDA5D.jpeg

87EEA1D3-E22E-4D55-A387-C55DBEA0A0DD.jpeg

When I saw the skates in November 2018, I was litterally wowed by the look. Extremely modern (silver, sharp design, etc) with the tan liner that gave a retro touch to top it off.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Can anyone tell me the biggest differences between the 2x and 2x pro pads? Only thing I can really see a difference on is customization and maybe the skin used is a lesser quality. Anyone notice anything else different?

It'll be your typical Pro level vs Senior.  Its just a different label system, 1X vs X900.

48 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Can anyone tell me the biggest differences between the 2x and 2x pro pads? Only thing I can really see a difference on is customization and maybe the skin used is a lesser quality. Anyone notice anything else different?

As you noted, 2X Pro is 100% CorTech ST skin all over the pad. 2X is CorTech only on the calf and knee.
2X Pro has the Thermocore Liner vs 2X's Thermomax liner on the leg channel.
2X Pro has the AX Suede Quattro+ material on the knee block vs the 2X with the AX Suede Quattro (no +).
2X Pro's calf wrap is made using Bauer's Aerolite foams - I think 2X has some basic foams there, can't recall.

35 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

As you noted, 2X Pro is 100% CorTech ST skin all over the pad. 2X is CorTech only on the calf and knee.
2X Pro has the Thermocore Liner vs 2X's Thermomax liner on the leg channel.
2X Pro has the AX Suede Quattro+ material on the knee block vs the 2X with the AX Suede Quattro (no +).
2X Pro's calf wrap is made using Bauer's Aerolite foams - I think 2X has some basic foams there, can't recall.

Do you think those changes add up to the $750 mark up? I spent 2 hours at Perani's in Flint MI trying on a bunch of pads, tried the bauers on as a goof, as I had no inkling that I would like them, and after trying on almost every other pad in the store I found I loved the 2x's (don't know if they were the pro model or not). Least amount of joint pain, biggest butterfly spread, nicest feel. Went in thinking I was going to settle on either the flex 4, premier 2, or g4/rgt2's. Now I am trying to decide on if the pro model is worth the extra money. Its been a very long time since I have bought pads. What are your guy's feelings on senior vs pro level gear? Worth it for an adult (30+)?

23 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Do you think those changes add up to the $750 mark up? I spent 2 hours at Perani's in Flint MI trying on a bunch of pads, tried the bauers on as a goof, as I had no inkling that I would like them, and after trying on almost every other pad in the store I found I loved the 2x's (don't know if they were the pro model or not). Least amount of joint pain, biggest butterfly spread, nicest feel. Went in thinking I was going to settle on either the flex 4, premier 2, or g4/rgt2's. Now I am trying to decide on if the pro model is worth the extra money. Its been a very long time since I have bought pads. What are your guy's feelings on senior vs pro level gear? Worth it for an adult (30+)?

Depends on how often you play and how long you'll be holding on to the pads. I think your previous posts and your profile pic indicate you've been wearing those Vaughn Epics for a really long time, so maybe you'll want the pro pad, especially if you intend to use these as long as you did your current set-up.

I'm not a big Bauer guy so I don't know the fine differences between Thermocore vs Thermomax or Quattro+ vs Quattro. The big difference is the CorTechST throughout the pad vs CorTech in the knee/calf.

One thing is that my reading material seems to indicate that the 2X uses CorTech in the knee/calf and not CorTechST.
Maybe someone with more knowledge can enlighten us.

4 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Depends on how often you play and how long you'll be holding on to the pads. I think your previous posts and your profile pic indicate you've been wearing those Vaughn Epics for a really long time, so maybe you'll want the pro pad, especially if you intend to use these as long as you did your current set-up.

I'm not a big Bauer guy so I don't know the fine differences between Thermocore vs Thermomax or Quattro+ vs Quattro. The big difference is the CorTechST throughout the pad vs CorTech in the knee/calf.

One thing is that my reading material seems to indicate that the 2X uses CorTech in the knee/calf and not CorTechST.
Maybe someone with more knowledge can enlighten us.

Haha yeah to be honest when I got those pads it was in like the July/August and at the time I had stopped playing in Nov ish. Just started playing again, so technically they don't even have a full year of use yet. I see what you are saying though. From what I am interpreting from reading from multiple threads and reviews then is that, yeah if I want the pads to last more than a season or two then I should go with the pro since the regular cortech I believe got such poor reviews. Basically having to pay 899 every other year vs paying 1649 once every 5ish years. The last time I bought gear the most expensive sets were around $1,000. And there was none of this pro/senior junk. I am hoping come next summer those 2xpros will go on sale, as that the only way I could afford/convince the wife to let me get them.

4 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Haha yeah to be honest when I got those pads it was in like the July/August and at the time I had stopped playing in Nov ish. Just started playing again, so technically they don't even have a full year of use yet. I see what you are saying though. From what I am interpreting from reading from multiple threads and reviews then is that, yeah if I want the pads to last more than a season or two then I should go with the pro since the regular cortech I believe got such poor reviews. Basically having to pay 899 every other year vs paying 1649 once every 5ish years. The last time I bought gear the most expensive sets were around $1,000. And there was none of this pro/senior junk. I am hoping come next summer those 2xpros will go on sale, as that the only way I could afford/convince the wife to let me get them.

I think they probably won’t go on sale until around the time when the 3X pads come out (Spring 2021 I believe).

15 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Haha yeah to be honest when I got those pads it was in like the July/August and at the time I had stopped playing in Nov ish. Just started playing again, so technically they don't even have a full year of use yet. I see what you are saying though. From what I am interpreting from reading from multiple threads and reviews then is that, yeah if I want the pads to last more than a season or two then I should go with the pro since the regular cortech I believe got such poor reviews.

You'll be fine wearing a senior pad. Unless you're putting these pads to some serious work, senior level gear is more than fine for lasting more than a year or two.

20 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Ah. For some reason I thought you had the Epics for years and years and years and years and years. Didn't realize it was just a year or so. I'd go 2X, not Pro in your case.

14 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I think they probably won’t go on sale until around the time when the 3X pads come out (Spring 2021 I believe).

12 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Well F@&%

That sounds about right! 🤣

4 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Ah. For some reason I thought you had the Epics for years and years and years and years and years. Didn't realize it was just a year or so. I'd go 2X, not Pro in your case.

That sounds about right! 🤣

Yeah I got them the last year I played juniors, got screwed. Was so pissed I didn't play from the age of 18-31 (couldn't even watch hockey from 18-27). So very little actual use compared to my two McKenney sets. Just started playing again this summer.

3 hours ago, kyledjean said:

You’ll be fine with the 2X’s Senior.  As long as your not on the ice 4 times a week playing at a high level senior gear will last as long as you need as long as you take care of it.  Just got a pair of X900’s and going through the pads I find the build quality very high and have no concerns of how long they’ll last me.  Looking at the 2X’s I have been impressed with the senior line and plan on picking up the glove and blocker.  I find the quality to be more in line with Warrior’s Ritual Senior which is a great bang for the buck.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:02 AM, Drew37 said:

You’ll be fine with the 2X’s Senior.  As long as your not on the ice 4 times a week playing at a high level senior gear will last as long as you need as long as you take care of it.  Just got a pair of X900’s and going through the pads I find the build quality very high and have no concerns of how long they’ll last me.  Looking at the 2X’s I have been impressed with the senior line and plan on picking up the glove and blocker.  I find the quality to be more in line with Warrior’s Ritual Senior which is a great bang for the buck.

As someone that has used the gear, do you think the senior lines are actually constructed the same way (internally)? I played 1X and 2X Pro and looked at the different senior lines. Looking at them, it seems they are really differently constructed, different sliding / insight landing, different outside roll construction, etc. etc.

I would say, you are completely fine in a senior pad, but you will not get the performance the 2X Pro is touted for.

5 hours ago, pfra said:

As someone that has used the gear, do you think the senior lines are actually constructed the same way (internally)? I played 1X and 2X Pro and looked at the different senior lines. Looking at them, it seems they are really differently constructed, different sliding / insight landing, different outside roll construction, etc. etc.

I would say, you are completely fine in a senior pad, but you will not get the performance the 2X Pro is touted for.

You get the sliding as the knee landing and calf have the cortech material.  Of course there should be upgrades in the materials used when comparing a pro to senior pad to justify a $1000 difference.  When looking it up though both the pro and senior have the same internal construction of dynamic flex core with curv composite thigh rise(according to the hockey shop specs).  I think for some the upgrades on some materials and performance don’t justify the price difference and if you are looking for the closest performance without having to mortgage your house to get it, the senior line is the way to go.  What I was impressed by was that when I was in my local shop I had a hard distinguishing between the pro and senior gloves at first.  I remember a time when if it wasn’t pro it was garbage and it’s nice to see them upgrade the mid level for those of us who’s wife will divorce them if they spend too much on gear.

29 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

To put on prolaces on the 2x pads should i just cut off the Monster ones with some scissors? @TheGoalNet

If you don’t plan on using or selling the Monster straps then yes you could just cut them off with scissors.  Should just be able to untie the knot of bungee cord though if you don’t want to cut them.

Archived