TGN's Bracket Challenge

TheGoalNet

10 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Go figure. Playoffs start and all the Cowboys and Mavs fans disappear and out comes the Stars gear. My school is about as bandwagon as it gets.

my schools now all islanders fans outta nowhere

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

90% honestly seems low, too. One of the biggest choke jobs of all time. 

We shall see.

Kings reversed the Sharks not too long ago

Blackhawks took the Canucks to game 7 OT (and lost)

Philly reversed the Bruins the year before.

Not saying it's going to happen and I'm really pulling for the upset sweep, but, Tampa is a very good team. This is very uncharacteristic of them and I wouldn't be surprised to see them at least make a series out of it. 

I wouldn't be so angry if Tampa was getting swept by a franchise like Pittsburgh or Washington. But some shitty filler location team like Columbus that has never done anything in their existence? Yeah I'm tight.

It's gonna be a shame for the NHL seeing one of the most skilled teams in recent history be ousted so early. The match ups they could have had. And they went down in the most embarrassing way I have ever seen. 

On the bright side, it's Columbus, so no one will remember this in 5 years.

The best thing Shitsburgh fans can hope for is a Tampa sweep, then no one will remember their own epic choke job. 

A quote on Tampa I ran across and thought was worth sharing:

"Tampa's not a dominant team at 5v5. Barely top 10 in most shot share metrics. Their offense was driven by a historically successful power play. The problem is that the whistles go away in the postseason so you’re not getting the opportunities that you do in the regular season unless you’re a dominant possession team that constantly forces the opposing team to get frustrated and take penalties.

Some other notes:

-CBJ was the least penalized team in the regular season, so they don’t give up many PP opportunities to Tampa
-CBJ had a top 10 PK this season
-CBJ plays the lowest event hockey at 5v5 in the regular season (in terms of total shots by both teams); this means that their games are mucky instead of track meets which would favor Tampa’s skill and speed.
-After the acquisitions of Duchene and Dzingel, CBJ has as many top 40 scorers as Tampa. This isn’t a traditional #8 seed. On paper they should’ve competed for the Metro, possibly even won it."

1 hour ago, motowngoalie said:

The best thing Shitsburgh fans can hope for is a Tampa sweep, then no one will remember their own epic choke job. 

A quote on Tampa I ran across and thought was worth sharing:

"Tampa's not a dominant team at 5v5. Barely top 10 in most shot share metrics. Their offense was driven by a historically successful power play. The problem is that the whistles go away in the postseason so you’re not getting the opportunities that you do in the regular season unless you’re a dominant possession team that constantly forces the opposing team to get frustrated and take penalties.

Some other notes:

-CBJ was the least penalized team in the regular season, so they don’t give up many PP opportunities to Tampa
-CBJ had a top 10 PK this season
-CBJ plays the lowest event hockey at 5v5 in the regular season (in terms of total shots by both teams); this means that their games are mucky instead of track meets which would favor Tampa’s skill and speed.
-After the acquisitions of Duchene and Dzingel, CBJ has as many top 40 scorers as Tampa. This isn’t a traditional #8 seed. On paper they should’ve competed for the Metro, possibly even won it."

Interesting. Analytics once again foreseeing what none of us could see eventually happening. When you put it like this I can somewhat digest this bizarre sports reality. Basically power plays are to Tampa what home runs are to the Yankees. Without them they become much less daunting to defeat.

On a side note: I don't get "Playoff reffing". It's probably my least favorite thing about the post-season. Look at what happened in the Bruins and Leafs game the other night because of that.

23 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

The butthurt Islanders fans just crack me up, that's all. 

Call us butthurt as leafs fans go on to send Jake Gardiner death threats, tell him how bad he is, and scapegoat him for literally any issue the team has

10 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Call us butthurt as leafs fans go on to send Jake Gardiner death threats, tell him how bad he is, and scapegoat him for literally any issue the team has

Well, the entire Stars arena boo'ed Subban and only Subban every time he was on the ice so I guess Stars fans are racist

23 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

We shall see.

Kings reversed the Sharks not too long ago

Blackhawks took the Canucks to game 7 OT (and lost)

Philly reversed the Bruins the year before.

Not saying it's going to happen and I'm really pulling for the upset sweep, but, Tampa is a very good team. This is very uncharacteristic of them and I wouldn't be surprised to see them at least make a series out of it. 

Agreed. If anyone can climb out from 3-0 it's going to be this team. They clearly have the skill. 

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Agreed. If anyone can climb out from 3-0 it's going to be this team. They clearly have the skill. 

Aaaand that's a big fat nope. Based on what I watched and @motowngoalie's analytics, I have to say that Tampa was not geared to defeat a team that is stifling at 5v5. They may have won 63 games, but that success masked a lot of underlying issues that were promptly exploited in the first round. I just hope they don't make a panic move or panic-fire Cooper. This is the best thing for that team because now they know what they need to improve on to win it next year. It's not a cakewalk like they thought.

On the bright side, no more Pittsburgh.

Yep this is going to go down as one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of sports.

Was chatting during the game with a Tampa fan and I mentioned that a 10 game stretch where they weren’t very good may have actually been good for them. Too many bad habits formed when you win every game.

24 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yep this is going to go down as one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of sports.

Was chatting during the game with a Tampa fan and I mentioned that a 10 game stretch where they weren’t very good may have actually been good for them. Too many bad habits formed when you win every game.

I was on a team that won a lot back in my playing career. The year before and the year I joined we were "supposed" to win. We lost. My last year there, we weren't as strong, but we choked away another tournament earlier in the year to the point where me and my captain were so pissed we carried the 2nd place of trophy to every playoff game just to sting everyone into playing that much harder. It worked and we won it.

8 hours ago, Peter36 said:

I believe goaltending was the deciding factor in the Tampa - Columbus series. Bobrovsky was the main reason for their success.

Meh... Disagree.

Admittedly, I didn't watch the whole series, but it seemed to me that everyone in a Columbus jersey and skates was a threat. Aside perhaps from the Game 1 comeback, I don't think Bobrovsky "kept them in it" so much as the Columbus side "kept the Lightning OUT of it."

I bet if you walked into the room after the series win, and asked "OK - who's the hero?" they'd all look around at everyone else. Complete and total team effort, and everyone has bought in. Nobody will say that Columbus had no business winning, which is usually the asterisk when a goalie is the difference and/or steals a series.

As a parting thought, while the Stamkos deke around the skaters for the first TBL goal was real purdy, I'd be mad at myself for letting in a shot like Bobrovsky did. He looked pretty ordinary on that one, I thought.

7 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Meh... Disagree.

Admittedly, I didn't watch the whole series, but it seemed to me that everyone in a Columbus jersey and skates was a threat. Aside perhaps from the Game 1 comeback, I don't think Bobrovsky "kept them in it" so much as the Columbus side "kept the Lightning OUT of it."

I bet if you walked into the room after the series win, and asked "OK - who's the hero?" they'd all look around at everyone else. Complete and total team effort, and everyone has bought in. Nobody will say that Columbus had no business winning, which is usually the asterisk when a goalie is the difference and/or steals a series.

As a parting thought, while the Stamkos deke around the skaters for the first TBL goal was real purdy, I'd be mad at myself for letting in a shot like Bobrovsky did. He looked pretty ordinary on that one, I thought.

Columbus was one game away from possibly winning a Cup last year. They were the team to beat, and the Crapitals held on. For me, that first round between the Craps and the Blow Jerkets was the BEST round of the ENTIRE Cup tourney last year. Lead changes, lucky bounces, great tending, and heart stopping action. The rest were okay. 

Columbus was a good team last year and are good this year. Yes- I’d wear a Bobs sweater if my local sporting goods store could get the numbers right (they did get my Ducks sweater numbers right). Columbus put all their chips in, and now that they FINALLY won their first playoff series EVER, I think they are going to make the second round very interesting, if they don’t get to the Finals. 

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Columbus was one game away from possibly winning a Cup last year. They were the team to beat, and the Crapitals held on. For me, that first round between the Craps and the Blow Jerkets was the BEST round of the ENTIRE Cup tourney last year. Lead changes, lucky bounces, great tending, and heart stopping action. The rest were okay. 

Columbus was a good team last year and are good this year. Yes- I’d wear a Bobs sweater if my local sporting goods store could get the numbers right (they did get my Ducks sweater numbers right). Columbus put all their chips in, and now that they FINALLY won their first playoff series EVER, I think they are going to make the second round very interesting, if they don’t get to the Finals. 

Agree. But do you think Bobs was the reason they won...? That he stole this series?

Archived