TGN's Bracket Challenge

TheGoalNet

3 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Agree. But do you think Bobs was the reason they won...? That he stole this series?

No.

Columbus won as a TEAM. Bobs was good, but goalies only give you a chance IF you can score. Panarin is a big part, which was one reason why he was not dealt at the deadline; the TEAM is why the Lightning bugs are polishing their golf clubs.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Moose75 said:

These seem like factors as to why Vasy didn't do Vasy things to steal some games.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 9.22.37 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 9.22.52 PM.jpg

Stunning that coaches and organizations STILL haven’t figured this out. You CANNOT play your starter that much and expect him to be amazing in the playoffs. Or perhaps in this case, him playing that much and them winning so much was hiding that they weren’t as good of a true team as the number of wins suggested. Why in the world coaches burn out their starter during the regular season when it’s clear playoff position means jack is beyond me. Just get in the playoffs. That’s all that matters. 

9 hours ago, Moose75 said:

These seem like factors as to why Vasy didn't do Vasy things to steal some games.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 9.22.37 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 9.22.52 PM.jpg

5 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Stunning that coaches and organizations STILL haven’t figured this out. You CANNOT play your starter that much and expect him to be amazing in the playoffs. Or perhaps in this case, him playing that much and them winning so much was hiding that they weren’t as good of a true team as the number of wins suggested. Why in the world coaches burn out their starter during the regular season when it’s clear playoff position means jack is beyond me. Just get in the playoffs. That’s all that matters. 

Vasy should have been rested as soon as they clinched home ice and probably sooner. He was overplayed last season, as well, if nobody recalls. 

This crap of hanging a series loss on a goalie is ignorant and short-sighted. If there is no goal support, a goalie can’t win games for you. In the end, the preseason for the Cup is a long, long stretch of games. If you are going to play your starter for 70 plus games and then expect him to win 16 games next, there will be a nagging overuse injury or something. But nobody on that team played well. 

In that regard, I am not AT ALL surprised that the Blow Jerkets beat the Lightning Bugs. Besides- the Blow Jerkets are my dark horse.

12 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Vasy should have been rested as soon as they clinched home ice and probably sooner. He was overplayed last season, as well, if nobody recalls. 

This crap of hanging a series loss on a goalie is ignorant and short-sighted. If there is no goal support, a goalie can’t win games for you. In the end, the preseason for the Cup is a long, long stretch of games. If you are going to play your starter for 70 plus games and then expect him to win 16 games next, there will be a nagging overuse injury or something. But nobody on that team played well. 

In that regard, I am not AT ALL surprised that the Blow Jerkets beat the Lightning Bugs. Besides- the Blow Jerkets are my dark horse.

I remember him burning out big time in the second half. This and last year he had the Vezina practically his, but then Cooper started him constantly in the last stretch despite the opponents being tire fire teams like Buffalo and Rangers. Cooper clearly didn't learn. 

The days of unique cases like Lundqvist, Fleury, and Luongo are over. The game today is way more intense. Also back-to-backs need to go. It might help reduce the frequency of injuries across the league.

I hate how the two views we see of goalies during broadcasts are 100 miles away as the camera is zoomed all the way out or zoomed in to the goalies head and shoulders. Makes seeing ANY of the equipment nearly impossible. Only when he hands the puck to the linesman do you see a glove or during the pre-game stretch can you see a full body shot of these guys close up. Is Jones in all CCM legs snd gloves now? I can tell it’s a Vaughn C/A through the white jersey. 

14 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I hate how the two views we see of goalies during broadcasts are 100 miles away as the camera is zoomed all the way out or zoomed in to the goalies head and shoulders. Makes seeing ANY of the equipment nearly impossible. Only when he hands the puck to the linesman do you see a glove or during the pre-game stretch can you see a full body shot of these guys close up. Is Jones in all CCM legs snd gloves now? I can tell it’s a Vaughn C/A through the white jersey. 

Jones has been in all CCM for a while now. Made the switch sometime mid season.

I think you're also viewing some of the worst broadcast offenders. SJ and Vegas (especially SJ) zoom their broadcasts so far out.

Honestly, the best broadcast is the Panthers. It's so much closer to the action than almost anyone else.

San Jose:

Florida:

What's more embarrassing:

- Being the penguins being swept by a team that was slated to not make the playoffs?
- Being the Flames and losing in 5 to Colorado?
- Being one of the best regular season teams in history and being swept in the first round by Columbus?
- Being eliminated again by Boston in game 7?
- Having a 3-1 series lead, dropping two games to have a deciding game 7, be up 3-0 with 10 minutes left in the third, set a record for most powerplay goals against in a single major and losing it in overtime?

These playoffs have been entertaining as a fan looking in.

Also, fun stats:

- Toronto is the only Canadian team to not win a playoff series in the salary cap era
- Nazim Kadri has been suspended for more post season games than he's played in the past two playoffs (8 suspended / 6 played)
- Edmonton has more series wins than Calgary in the past decade

Also, seeing Tavares not leave the first round and the Islanders sweeping and looking promising is pretty sweet too.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Also, seeing Tavares not leave the first round and the Islanders sweeping and looking promising is pretty sweet too.

Ooh, that's juicy.

I hadn't even thought of that. 

The SJ vs VGK game was crazy.

Down 3-0 late, 5 min major results in 4 goals on the PP, Knights tie it late, then Goodrow who hadn't had a shift since almost the 2nd period wins the series in the 18th minute of OT by weaving through the Knights and shaking Fleury.

Unbelievable and so exciting to watch.

I imagine the league will debate 5 min majors not ending after goals. This was a tough policy to watch unfold in a Game 7.

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I imagine the league will debate 5 min majors not ending after goals. This was a tough policy to watch unfold in a Game 7.

I see tons of people complaining that Eakins shouldn't have gotten 5 and there is a valid point to it.

But

How about you don't set a NHL playoff record and let in 4 goals on the same major? Hell, 4 goals on the same major had only ever happened once in NHL history and that was a regular season game.

Debatable penalty aside, Vegas choked hard.

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I see tons of people complaining that Eakins shouldn't have gotten 5 and there is a valid point to it.

But

How about you don't set a NHL playoff record and let in 4 goals on the same major? Hell, 4 goals on the same major had only ever happened once in NHL history and that was a regular season game.

Debatable penalty aside, Vegas choked hard.

Fully agreed.  I love Couture going to bench after their first goal saying "that's 1."  Great stuff.

I've watched more Sharks games this season than any other team and I am a huge fan of theirs so I am pretty happy.  Erik Karlsson is my favorite non-goalie :)

I'm still iffy about Jones, but that team is solid. 

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Jones is solid. I would take this year as an anomaly. 

Granted I'm a fan of the guy.

That's fair. I'm a fan of him too. He's just more inconsistent than most upper level goalies and his stats are shaky.

P.s. on the Vegas - 5 min major - goal barrage....it's worth saying, maybe you shouldn't be hitting a guy so severely to cause that much damage,  in general, and especially in a game 7 playoff game, and if you do you absolutely deserve to be put in a situation where you potentially lose a game.

Physical stuff in hockey that is borderline assault makes my stomach hurt .  I find it embarrassing and unfortunate,  personally.

Archived