Passau Knee pads and RRC

big seven o

Hi all,

This is my first post on here, but I've been a long time reader and follower on Instagram. I recently tried on a friends VE8 set and was very impressed with the RRC strap. I had never really considered it on my pads (CCM EF3s) but might look further into modding them. My main concern, however, is the strap interfering with my set of Passau knee pads. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the interaction between the two, and potential problems. I do wear nylon hockey socks over top, so maybe that could mitigate the problem? Not really sure. If anyone had any first hand experience, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, first off thanks for joining the forum.  It's always good to have new members on here.

Which Passau knee pads do you have?  Can you post a pic, even if from online?

I wear VE8 pads and use Warrior Ritual pro knee pads.  From what I can tell, these knee pads have some of the most rigid and long shin pads that hang down below the knee.  Given the purpose and placement of the RRC strap, it is going to be tight and at the top of the calf, interacting with the shin pad of the knee pads.

It was a bit awkward at first and I definitely had to strap the RRC strap looser because of this....even though over time I keep cranking down on the RRC strap tighter and tighter to get better functionality out of it. 

I'm not too familiar with Passau stuff, but the potential for knee pad interaction is there the use of a RRC strap on pads.  But honestly, you just get used to it and I don't even notice anymore after the first week or so where it was awkward.  I too wear socks over my knee pads and this helps make the interaction in this area of my leg smoother and more seamless.

One thing most of us on here would recommend with the use of a RRC/Professor strap: get bungee toe ties and ditch the boot strap on your pads.  If you are properly using a RRC strap and properly using bungee toe ties, and boot strap is functionally pointless and will negate the functionality of those other two straps/ties.

Welcome aboard :)

1 minute ago, bunnyman666 said:

@seagoal said it pretty well with bungies. I have used every elastic iteration of said strap and you really can’t use it to its potential WITHOUT bungie toe ties.

I have a set of Vaughns with that strap (yes @seagoal, I totally reversed my view on Vaughn), and the magnet closure is pretty freakin’ cool!!!!  

Wait.   You.  In Vaughns??  Dang. 

Welcome back bunny :)

Just now, seagoal said:

Wait.   You.  In Vaughns??  Dang. 

Welcome back bunny :)

Never left. Got peeved with ol’ Mikey Vaughn for some of his public antics, but in the end, he still is VERY relevant and makes some sweet gear! Even the Factory Mad stuff I tend to like (catch glove) is very vintage Vaughn in feel. My all-time favourite set that I have has a 5500 glove that was lovingly rebuilt by PAW...

Besides- these pads were on Deal of the day and I could NOT pass them up:

27D2A5F8-451E-4304-8B43-0FAFDCD89C66.jpeg

To steer us back on topic, seagoal did touch on this: whether it is a Monster K-strap, Kenesky professor strap or Vaughn RRC (use all three depending on pads), boot straps are useless and non-elastic toe ties are not effective in the least! Once you go stretch, your life will be changed! 

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

Hey, first off thanks for joining the forum.  It's always good to have new members on here.

Which Passau knee pads do you have?  Can you post a pic, even if from online?

I wear VE8 pads and use Warrior Ritual pro knee pads.  From what I can tell, these knee pads have some of the most rigid and long shin pads that hang down below the knee.  Given the purpose and placement of the RRC strap, it is going to be tight and at the top of the calf, interacting with the shin pad of the knee pads.

It was a bit awkward at first and I definitely had to strap the RRC strap looser because of this....even though over time I keep cranking down on the RRC strap tighter and tighter to get better functionality out of it. 

I'm not too familiar with Passau stuff, but the potential for knee pad interaction is there the use of a RRC strap on pads.  But honestly, you just get used to it and I don't even notice anymore after the first week or so where it was awkward.  I too wear socks over my knee pads and this helps make the interaction in this area of my leg smoother and more seamless.

One thing most of us on here would recommend with the use of a RRC/Professor strap: get bungee toe ties and ditch the boot strap on your pads.  If you are properly using a RRC strap and properly using bungee toe ties, and boot strap is functionally pointless and will negate the functionality of those other two straps/ties.

Welcome aboard :)

Thanks so much for your insight. Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm glad your setup worked out well. It seems some things just take a while to adjust to. Funny you should bring up toe ties. I used to use bungees, but they were plagued with problems and ended up going back to an offset skate lace. Should I go forward with the RRC/Professor strap, I will probably a set of Pro Laces and take off the lundy loop. I'll also attach some photos of the Passaus I have. 

Passau front.jpg

Passau back.jpg

Passau sides.jpg

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

To steer us back on topic, seagoal did touch on this: whether it is a Monster K-strap, Kenesky professor strap or Vaughn RRC (use all three depending on pads), boot straps are useless and non-elastic toe ties are not effective in the least! Once you go stretch, your life will be changed! 

the skate laces would be gone in a heartbeat!

42 minutes ago, big seven o said:

Thanks so much for your insight. Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm glad your setup worked out well. It seems some things just take a while to adjust to. Funny you should bring up toe ties. I used to use bungees, but they were plagued with problems and ended up going back to an offset skate lace. Should I go forward with the RRC/Professor strap, I will probably a set of Pro Laces and take off the lundy loop. I'll also attach some photos of the Passaus I have. 

Passau front.jpg

Passau back.jpg

Passau sides.jpg

Nice.

That bottom segment is shorter in length than Warrior knee pads so you would very likely be in the clear.

Since your gonna be adding it as a mod anyway, just take some measurements and install it precisely below the knee pad if you are concerned about overlap.

11 hours ago, seagoal said:

Nice.

That bottom segment is shorter in length than Warrior knee pads so you would very likely be in the clear.

Since your gonna be adding it as a mod anyway, just take some measurements and install it precisely below the knee pad if you are concerned about overlap.

Okay. Will do! Thanks

Archived