2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

8 hours ago, Hills said:

My next pads? Hahaha curious to see what the graphic looks like.

I have heard it looks like a mirror image of the existing graphic, so it's on the bottom half of the pad, with the some Lundqvist-esq spikes 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, djtendy said:

Keep in mind recently he switched to the V6 core which allowed for a much softer, flexible top roll with a single break. Rask made the change from the double to single for the same reason. Quick very well could have been wearing a double internal, single external break Vaughn w/ is V4, V5 skinned V4s, etc, and wants to see how flexible the CCMs really are.

Most of the pics of him online look like a single external/internal break and it's too bad inGoal magazine's old magazines aren't working anymore. They used to have a piece on quick after he won his first cup (V4's) and I swear it stated that he only used a single external/internal break.

13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Are you 100% he switched to the V6? 

V6 core at least, as his pads were marked "V6". Vaughn will skin their gear, but you'll always see the original markings. I.e. Quick's glove, you can see the V4 graphic on the backhand; Quick's blocker has also been a V4 as the V4 graphic is on the inside sideboard; Scrivens' blockers are all v5 7800 indicated by the sideboard, and not to mention the countless number of goalies using Epic/Vision gloves where the words "epic" or "vision" are on the T. Even on his most recent set before he got hurt (silver inside), they're marked V6. So he wears the V6 pad, just with his mods (v2 leg channel, etc, etc).

9 minutes ago, djtendy said:

V6 core at least, as his pads were marked "V6". Vaughn will skin their gear, but you'll always see the original markings. I.e. Quick's glove, you can see the V4 graphic on the backhand; Quick's blocker has also been a V4 as the V4 graphic is on the inside sideboard; Scrivens' blockers are all v5 7800 indicated by the sideboard, and not to mention the countless number of goalies using Epic/Vision gloves where the words "epic" or "vision" are on the T. Even on his most recent set before he got hurt (silver inside), they're marked V6. So he wears the V6 pad, just with his mods (v2 leg channel, etc, etc).

Interesting and great stuff. Maybe he didn't like something about the new core and that left him open to other avenues. 

2 hours ago, gp34 said:

12.jpg

Anyone else notice he's still using the 961 cateye cage on his 961 XPM? That's what I can't stand about the XPM is the cage; the 'cateyes' are more like a Wall mask which to me look uglier, though I'm sure I will get used to it.

Here is a side-by-side of Eddie Lack showing the 961 vs 961 XPM differences:

651786766.jpg.6fa996ba6c28b576326c3859f56c9364.jpgcut.thumb.jpg.b69cd9b6780c8827ac756f7d6c86883d.jpg

You can see how the XPM cateye is more oblong and the corners (next to the screws) look to be like one continuous bent wire instead of two wires welded together. These are small gripes but goaltending is all about aesthetic, right?

On 7/19/2017 at 3:03 PM, TitanG said:

Anyone else notice he's still using the 961 cateye cage on his 961 XPM? That's what I can't stand about the XPM is the cage; the 'cateyes' are more like a Wall mask which to me look uglier, though I'm sure I will get used to it.

Here is a side-by-side of Eddie Lack showing the 961 vs 961 XPM differences:

You can see how the XPM cateye is more oblong and the corners (next to the screws) look to be like one continuous bent wire instead of two wires welded together. These are small gripes but goaltending is all about aesthetic, right?

Great eye!! I want to post this on IG. Do you have a username?

new version seems to have way better sight lines 

Looks like Mike Condon is at least giving Vaughn Pro's Choice a try. I wonder if Dom Malerba still makes all of the masks to everyone's mold or if he is doing a Protechsport/Jerry Wright method in foam-fitting masks? He has so many clients now I wouldn't be surprised, plus I also heard that some customers just ask for the same fit as a stock Bauer 961. I'd love to one day get one myself, but the price... 

On 7/21/2017 at 0:38 AM, TitanG said:

Looks like Mike Condon is at least giving Vaughn Pro's Choice a try. I wonder if Dom Malerba still makes all of the masks to everyone's mold or if he is doing a Protechsport/Jerry Wright method in foam-fitting masks? He has so many clients now I wouldn't be surprised, plus I also heard that some customers just ask for the same fit as a stock Bauer 961. I'd love to one day get one myself, but the price...

I believe the answer is both. 

His 961 clone, pictured above, I believe he is doing custom padding only. If you look at some of the guys in that mask, Allen & Murray to start, the fit is terrible and there is a monster back plate gap. 

For guys like Mrazek, Tuukka, etc, they still seem to have their own custom mask. 

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

His 961 clone, pictured above, I believe he is doing custom padding only. If you look at some of the guys in that mask, Allen & Murray to start, the fit is terrible and there is a monster back plate gap. 

For guys like Mrazek, Tuukka, etc, they still seem to have their own custom mask. 

Ok, that's what I thought. Always found it weird that someone would pay the same amount for a custom padded stock mask rather than a custom molded and padded mask, but then again goalies are weird.

11 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Ok, that's what I thought. Always found it weird that someone would pay the same amount for a custom padded stock mask rather than a custom molded and padded mask, but then again goalies are weird.

I think a Vaughn PC 961 clone is like $1000 and the a Tuuka style is like $2000

So they're getting a discount in this case, haha

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I think a Vaughn PC 961 clone is like $1000 and the a Tuuka style is like $2000

So they're getting a discount in this case, haha

Oh if that's the case then it makes sense. I just go on what the prices are on the site which all say $1,800, but those could all very well be custom.

On 7/21/2017 at 7:36 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I spoke to Dom about the fit of Murray's mask and that's all on Murray.  It drives Dom mad how loose Murray wears his mask.  

13 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I spoke to Dom about the fit of Murray's mask and that's all on Murray.  It drives Dom mad how loose Murray wears his mask.  

I spoke to my contact there as well. He didnt mention that... but he said that Murray and Allen change the fit after they leave. Also said that PC's small back plate might give the optical illusion of a bad fit 

Also confirmed that the Pros are all in a custom version of the 961. The Vaughn branded helmet that is 1K is only a custom padding 

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I spoke to my contact there as well. He didnt mention that... but he said that Murray and Allen change the fit after they leave. Also said that PC's small back plate might give the optical illusion of a bad fit 

Also confirmed that the Pros are all in a custom version of the 961. The Vaughn branded helmet that is 1K is only a custom padding 

Murray straps his mask very loosely.  The fit of the mask is probably spot on but he just wears it too loose which kinda negates the perfect fit.

Lack showing off the new Brian's line. This will not be called the SZ4. I would classify this a revolutionary release compared to an evolutionary release. 

Lack.png.656c8b707f22ca0163e8ec3305948586.png

Robin Lehner telling Kevin Weekes on NHL Network he is switching to Brian's too

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I bet the [Redacted] line from Brians won't bee too different of a jump from what we would expect form the SZ line.

I'm taking a stab in the dark and say it'll be more of a SZ2->SZ3 jump instead of a NXG -> 1S jump.

Still need to see the full details of the line... 

but it will be a big jump forward. It will be a significantly bigger jump than from SZ2 ->S3 

The new name is more than just marketing hype 

TGN any thoughts (guess) on what the changes to the SZ4 are - from the Lack picture they look very thin on the top section? Maybe totally binding less ??

Anyone have any thoughts on what kinds of breakthroughs can be expected in the near future?

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

TGN any thoughts (guess) on what the changes to the SZ4 are - from the Lack picture they look very thin on the top section? Maybe totally binding less ??

Anyone have any thoughts on what kinds of breakthroughs can be expected in the near future?

Will have more details in the coming weeks. Apologies we can't share more yet 

On 7/21/2017 at 4:36 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Just joined to reply to this. 

I've been with Pro's Choice since 2007. 

I'm going into my 4th week for a 961 style shell. When I was talking to Dom regarding specs, he said it is full custom, not custom padded. 

Archived