2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

and then we have this available at the retail level.

Enough is ENOUGH! I have had it with these monkey-fightin' snakes on these Monday-to-Friday pads!!

PS: that Warrior CR1 stick seems to curse its user with bad goals against or just tough play. I.E. Darling, Rinne's recent mistake, Talbot, Jones. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Naz said:

Is that the only colour the CR1 Stick is available, or is Warrior just horrible at matching uniform colours?  Talbot's stick has bothered me all season haha.

camstick.jpg

An anonymous source for Warrior Tactical informed me that their mission was to "inject some semblance of life and color into Talbot's setup, no matter how mismatched, whatever the cost." I commend their brave efforts.

48 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

An anonymous source for Warrior Tactical informed me that their mission was to "inject some semblance of life and color into Talbot's setup, no matter how mismatched, whatever the cost." I commend their brave efforts.

And yet its all still terrible. Such a great colorway to play with and his setup makes really poor use of it. 

3 hours ago, Naz said:

Is that the only colour the CR1 Stick is available, or is Warrior just horrible at matching uniform colours?  Talbot's stick has bothered me all season haha.

camstick.jpg

It's weird seeing Talbot use a stick other than Bauer Reflex. Probably the reason why he's not doing so great this year *lol*

14 hours ago, Naz said:

He has come down with a case of LuongoPocketitis from being around Luongo.  Luongo has always had the ugliest, oddest shaped pockets.

LuongoPocket.jpg

That's the stock CCM pocket unfortunately. I don't know why, but they all looked like that at some point. Bugs the shit outta me. 

9 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

That's the stock CCM pocket unfortunately. I don't know why, but they all looked like that at some point. Bugs the shit outta me. 

Carryover from Reebok days, Luongo had that hideous pocket in Vancouver too.  Always bugged the hell out of me when they would show the team congratulating him on TV after a win and he was doing high fives with that ugly thing.

On 1/22/2018 at 2:18 PM, Moose75 said:

Enough is ENOUGH! I have had it with these monkey-fightin' snakes on these Monday-to-Friday pads!

One of the best TV edits ever.

When Sam Jackson's character is named Neville Flynn - should have known this was a train wreck...

15 minutes ago, MTH said:

When Sam Jackson's character is named Neville Flynn - should have known this was a train wreck...

To be fair, you should have known it was a train wreck at Snakes On A Plane, haha.

To stay on topic, here's Casey DeSmith's new gear. Looks sharp with the home whites road whites. I really like this dude's game, which sucks because I don't want to cheer for the Pens to win. Wonder if they keep him over Jarry once Murray gets back?

136908434_15163498725811n.jpg

18 minutes ago, MTH said:

I saw Office Space on a flight a few weeks ago. It was seriously even funnier with the edits. I was laughing so hard the entire time. 

@cwarnar - It's possible for sure. I think the trick is similar to the printed graphic. The printed version needs to offer a tangible benefit over the current offering. 

For printed graphics, it's less weight and more digitally detailed possibilities.

Right now the only benefit I see to a wrap is time and cost. If a guy gets 2 masks a season and DaveArt changes $2000/ea, that's only $4000 total. I don't think the cost aspect can win with the pros. 

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@cwarnar - It's possible for sure. I think the trick is similar to the printed graphic. The printed version needs to offer a tangible benefit over the current offering. 

For printed graphics, it's less weight and more digitally detailed possibilities.

Right now the only benefit I see to a wrap is time and cost. If a guy gets 2 masks a season and DaveArt changes $2000/ea, that's only $4000 total. I don't think the cost aspect can win with the pros. 

Plus it gives them flexibility of changing up their look during the season... Gone are the masks like Potvin, Brodeur and Eddie the Eagle

18 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Plus it gives them flexibility of changing up their look during the season... Gone are the masks like Potvin, Brodeur and Eddie the Eagle

There's still a few guys that stick to a look. Quick, Bishop (kinda), Lundy (kinda).

Sure, they're not an almost direct replica year after year, but they're similar enough that it never detracts from the fact that it's kind of "their" thing.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

There's still a few guys that stick to a look. Quick, Bishop (kinda), Lundy (kinda).

Sure, they're not an almost direct replica year after year, but they're similar enough that it never detracts from the fact that it's kind of "their" thing.

Rask and Quick are the only two I can think of. Lundqvist changes his mask every other month like it's a haircut. 

1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

Rask and Quick are the only two I can think of. Lundqvist changes his mask every other month like it's a haircut. 

I would agree with this.  Hank had a similar design for a solid 4 or 5 masks in a row a few seasons ago but he pretty much abandoned that.  The one he has now is stupid, like dragon skin.  Idk, whatever...I was never really a fan of his masks.  Rask and Quick are really all that's left.  Miller was a third but that ended when he left Buffalo.

27 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Also have to consider whether the design would translate to another team. Would Quick use the same design if he played elsewhere? The classic masks followed the player. Potvin, Cujo, Belfour are the three I'm most familiar with. 

This is also true.  Which is why Miller no longer has his design.  Quick's would also translate if he ever got dealt to Vegas.  That's about it though.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This is also true.  Which is why Miller no longer has his design.  Quick's would also translate if he ever got dealt to Vegas.  That's about it though.

It's also in the painters' best interest to have these guys going through new masks every half a season -- they can flex their talents and get their name out there more, show off new looks and techniques to potential customers, etc.  The goalies also get to show their new lids off on Instagram and develop their #brand #persona with fans (though I'd argue sticking with a look does that more, as people noted above). And the masks can be auctioned off for charity. It's really a win for everyone.

Personally, I still prefer when goalies have a distinguished look that they kept for a while. Imagine the iconic masks we'd have lost (or forgotten easily, rather) if Marty was getting a new mask with some ripped demon on it every season, or if Richter redesigned his Lady Liberty 4x a year like Hank, or if Beezer only stuck with the Panther for 2 months before trying another design.

11 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

It's also in the painters' best interest to have these guys going through new masks every half a season -- they can flex their talents and get their name out there more, show off new looks and techniques to potential customers, etc.  The goalies also get to show their new lids off on Instagram and develop their #brand #persona with fans (though I'd argue sticking with a look does that more, as people noted above). And the masks can be auctioned off for charity. It's really a win for everyone.

Personally, I still prefer when goalies have a distinguished look that they kept for a while. Imagine the iconic masks we'd have lost (or forgotten easily, rather) if Marty was getting a new mask with some ripped demon on it every season, or if Richter redesigned his Lady Liberty 4x a year like Hank, or if Beezer only stuck with the Panther for 2 months before trying another design.

Yea I tend to lean towards getting the same thing over and over but maybe with minor detail changes would establish a brand/persona more than getting a totally different design every season.  And I agree with the iconic masks of our childhood.  Some things will just never be the same.

Archived