Jonathon v

1 piece true skate steel

8 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

ok i dont know what profiled means but im assuming sharpneed. Thanks everyone so much for the help

Also- you’re welcome.

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Profiling means that the blade is ground to a profile optimal for you and your skating style. Sometimes the blades may not be the same height, though with Step, they are better about being more consistent. But on a $1K skate, you want everything to be bang on! Also- the edge of the runner will be consistent and flat. As I say- on a skate you’re dropping that type of dosh on, profiling makes sense.

could i ask my local jerrys to help me with profiling I wouldn't know what to do

3 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

could i ask my local jerrys to help me with profiling I wouldn't know what to do

They should know or be able to point you in the right direction. Most Step steel has a centre line to help with profiling.

@Jonathon v in the words of the late Big Poppa, it's all about the Benjamins. These are top of the line skates so the question is really about your budget. If you don't mind shelling out another $1k a year or two down the road, when your feet stop growing, then its worth it (plus you'll likely have some salvage value for this pair in secondary market as long as you take care of them***). I'm not even sure how you'd place that order. Would you get your feet scanned and then tell them to add an inch certain places? The fit plus the construction is what you're paying for and will provide the best "energy transfer" that you clearly want. *** If your feet are oddly shaped then you might have trouble selling to someone else if its a fully custom boot. Just keep that in mind when thinking about budget.

If your feet are still growing and your heart is set on a pair of True 1-piece skates, then you should scan the secondary markets (Sideline Swap, eBay, here, etc.) for a used pair or pro return. If you're still in youth sizes then I'd imagine there will be very few used options for you in a used 1-piece (if at all).

If I were you I'd just try buy a used Bauer 1/2S, 1/2X or CCM AS1 and kick the can down the road until your feet stop growing before getting the Trues (or whatever else is available then). These skates will have excellent energy transfer for a fraction of the price given most are once piece boot construction. The AS1's are lower to the ice if you like that about the 1-piece True plus the "cowling" is basically non-existent.

7 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

You can send to Bob at No Icing Sports if you don't have a LHS that profiles. He has a mail order program that a lot of people use. He will also help you figure out what profile you need or give suggestions. Worked well for me.

18 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

@Jonathon v in the words of the late Big Poppa, it's all about the Benjamins. These are top of the line skates so the question is really about your budget. If you don't mind shelling out another $1k a year or two down the road, when your feet stop growing, then its worth it (plus you'll likely have some salvage value for this pair in secondary market as long as you take care of them***). I'm not even sure how you'd place that order. Would you get your feet scanned and then tell them to add an inch certain places? The fit plus the construction is what you're paying for and will provide the best "energy transfer" that you clearly want. *** If your feet are oddly shaped then you might have trouble selling to someone else if its a fully custom boot. Just keep that in mind when thinking about budget.

If your feet are still growing and your heart is set on a pair of True 1-piece skates, then you should scan the secondary markets (Sideline Swap, eBay, here, etc.) for a used pair or pro return. If you're still in youth sizes then I'd imagine there will be very few used options for you in a used 1-piece (if at all).

If I were you I'd just try buy a used Bauer 1/2S, 1/2X or CCM AS1 and kick the can down the road until your feet stop growing before getting the Trues (or whatever else is available then). These skates will have excellent energy transfer for a fraction of the price given most are once piece boot construction. The AS1's are lower to the ice if you like that about the 1-piece True plus the "cowling" is basically non-existent.

@Jonathon v Mr. stew makes a few GREAT points. 

The AS1 “cowling” is riveted in the arch of the skate as well as the other places probably helping with additional power transfer. 

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

You can send to Bob at No Icing Sports if you don't have a LHS that profiles. He has a mail order program that a lot of people use. He will also help you figure out what profile you need or give suggestions. Worked well for me.

Bob does amazing work.  I have a set of Tydan steel heading to him as we speak.