3-on-3 leagues - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Lucky Pucker

I had put my name in with a local league convener recently, and I’ve been asked to play 3-on-3. Not what I had in mind, and the guys are mostly “mid 20s” - so born when I was finishing high school.

I don’t think this would be a good fit for a 40 year old who has only played for about a year; I suspect that the format would further accentuate the age difference and my lack of experience. I’m concerned about injury mostly, as I don’t think this format does goalies any favours. But then I’ve never played 3-on-3.

So for those of you that HAVE, please lay it on me - the good, the bad, and the ugly about being the goalie for 3-on-3. I’m leaning towards saying no, but would like to hear from the community.

Do it. Absolutely do it.

I play on a low level 3v3 team in the summer. It's a much large workout, you're going to get scored on tons but man are you going to see a lot of shots. My only grip is that I haven't found a way onto a higher level team in that format. It would be a perfect "free" goalie school during the summer.

Especially as a brand new rookie, seeing as many shots as possible is such a great way to get better. While there is potential to form bad habits solely playing 3v3, just make sure to use it as practice for tracking shots and making as many saves as possible (while working out) and carry that into your 5v5 game.

The first part of the winter season right after playing 3v3 in the summer is some of the best hockey I play. I always feel so dialed in.

TL;DR: Just fucking do it.

Most games will be low scoring affairs... 2-1 or 3-2... with the slightest mistake being the difference between a win and a loss. Most guys will be complete a-holes and not talk to you (but will definitely stare in your direction) if you let in more than 2. 

Clearly I'm joking... but 3-on-3 will be quicker... like a normal beer league guys in their 20s... but with literally no back checking at all... ever. There honestly just isn't the time for it... transitions happen too quickly. But if you feel physically up for it... it will certainly help you work on edges, angels, positioning, and reading plays (there will always be a guy open either back door or in the slot... or both.) I'd bet you surprise yourself once you play.  The occasional beach ball will go in... but you'll also windmill the hell out of a few too... it's still a beer league after all.

2 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Most games will be low scoring affairs... 2-1 or 3-2... with the slightest mistake being the difference between a win and a loss. Most guys will be complete a-holes and not talk to you (but will definitely stare in your direction) if you let in more than 2.

You almost had me there lol.

Though I see far more douchery, or wanna be tough guy crap in 3v3 that I do in any 5v5 league.

But that may also be conclusive of the lower div and the nationality of a lot of the guys out there.

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You almost had me there lol.

Though I see far more douchery, or wanna be tough guy crap in 3v3 that I do in any 5v5 league.

But that may also be conclusive of the lower div and the nationality of a lot of the guys out there.

Well to maintain a level of douche equal to that of 5v5... the 3 have to pick up the douche slack created by the missing 2 (assumed to be at least partial douches)... its simple math. They couldn't change it even if they want to... and chances are they don't want to anyway.

5 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Well to maintain a level of douche equal to that of 5v5... the 3 have to pick up the douche slack created by the missing 2 (assumed to be at least partial douches)... its simple math. They couldn't change it even if they want to... and chances are they don't want to anyway.

But they're not only matching it, they're exceeding it.

It's honestly crazy to see how some of these guys get so worked up about 3v3. It's not even real hockey.

@Lucky Pucker don't let this deter you, as a goalie you're essentially spared from any of the bullshit.

Ok, I don’t know much about playing 3 on 3 but I’m currently playing in a 4 on 4 league with 4 teams and most of the players are on my high school teams JV and varsity team and games are every Sunday. 

The good: not much, but it’s “fun” if you want a lot of shots. 

the bad: most of the time the score is gonna be double digits on both sides. this is just fun for the players so they don’t really want to play defense, expect 10 breakaways, 2 on 0s, 2 on 1s minimum per game

the ugly: like I said it’s fun for the players but not really fun for the goalies. expect to give up a bad goal or two, you might get pissed off like I did once or twice so far. the plays that are happening most of the time aren’t gonna happen in real games  

so in all, wins obviously don’t matter, make the saves you can make, and try things you haven’t done before. I’m not getting much props from the players and I don’t expect it, but I’m getting it from the coaches. if you’re going to have fun, don’t take yourself too seriously, and try not to get too frustrated like I have lol 

Ha, yeah. Since nobody in 3v3 cares about goalies the trick is for the goalies to not care about themselves too much, either.  Invest not emotions or thoughts into it beyond using it as an opportunity to work on your gear, style, selections, habits, etc.

If it is 3 on 3 on normal size ice, you will get some breaks to catch your breath, get some water etc.  If you're playing on a smaller ice surface, you will be getting shelled.  Shots will come from literally anywhere.  You can't take a second off.  You will get very good at 2 on 0 plays.  Backdoor passes, wrap arounds, breakaways.....

I've been invited out to sub for two different levels of half-ice 3-on-3 recently. The 18u 3-on-3 was ridiculous with goals for and against nearing 20 (this is what happens when travel kids are allowed to play house league). The 14u house game on the other hand, I let only one goal in and as we neared the second half I didn't bother to try anymore. Windmill saves for day. I also took some shots at the opposing goalie during the 14u game. I guess I need to work more on accuracy and less on power because even though my shots were still in the air by the time they reached the goalie, none were on net.

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Well, I told the guy straight up that I was 40, and had less than a year under my belt; he politely agreed that this might not be what they're looking for after all.

Ageism: sometimes it works in your favour - lol!

As someone who took up goaltending relatively late in life (I’m 37), my belief is the best thing you can do for your game is put yourself in the toughest scenarios you can find. Your mind and body will adapt. The last thing I want to do is go to a low-level pickup. I look for the fastest skates I can find, even though I know I’m going to give up a ton of goals. If nothing else it makes a huge difference on your conditioning. I started out barely surviving a league game (despite being in decent shape), now I’m barely breathing hard outside of a few plays. 

Archived