Too Fat For Roller Fly?

MTH

I've been using the roller fly boards for about two years now. They are pretty neat. I see other goalies moving around the crease on them similar to being on ice.

Yet, I can't slide that well on mine.

I originally attached them to an older pair of Tour pads that pre-dated roller-fly - so getting them onto the pads was a little bit of a challenge as the calf and knee landing areas were more rounded and the pads - while flat faced - were pretty soft. Felt like I was squishing around the roller-fly boards and still grabbing too much pad on the floor and not letting me slide on the roller fly boards.

So I picked up a newer pair of CCM pads (E something.5). Attached them with velcro as the knee and calf wings are flat and hard. Even added a little extra of the fuzzy side velcro around the boot. While they slide better than the Tour pads - they still aren't enough to let me slide.

Now, unlike the other goalies I see sliding on these - I'm 6'2" and around 260.

Am I too big for these? Current CCM pads are a 35+2. They're a little short as I roll off the top of the knee wing at times. But the pads were around $80 used at PIAS and were in great shape.

For the life of me, I can't butterfly slide when I'm already down. I can get plenty of push on my back leg - but the slide leg feels stuck to the floor.

Advice?

19 hours ago, MTH said:

I've been using the roller fly boards for about two years now. They are pretty neat. I see other goalies moving around the crease on them similar to being on ice.

Yet, I can't slide that well on mine.

I originally attached them to an older pair of Tour pads that pre-dated roller-fly - so getting them onto the pads was a little bit of a challenge as the calf and knee landing areas were more rounded and the pads - while flat faced - were pretty soft. Felt like I was squishing around the roller-fly boards and still grabbing too much pad on the floor and not letting me slide on the roller fly boards.

So I picked up a newer pair of CCM pads (E something.5). Attached them with velcro as the knee and calf wings are flat and hard. Even added a little extra of the fuzzy side velcro around the boot. While they slide better than the Tour pads - they still aren't enough to let me slide.

Now, unlike the other goalies I see sliding on these - I'm 6'2" and around 260.

Am I too big for these? Current CCM pads are a 35+2. They're a little short as I roll off the top of the knee wing at times. But the pads were around $80 used at PIAS and were in great shape.

For the life of me, I can't butterfly slide when I'm already down. I can get plenty of push on my back leg - but the slide leg feels stuck to the floor.

Advice?

I don’t know much about rollerhockey but those pads aren’t top of the line Is the knee block so squishy you can’t get a firm slide?

I dont have any experience with rollerflys.

Have you tried adding fuzzy velcro to the thighrise as well? Is there a point where you slide that you feel anything catch?

If the knee wing and calf wrap are flimsy maybe bolster them with some high density foam or uhmw plastic for rigidity.

Archived