Dangler Hangers

So my new painted mask is on its way back to me this week (more details on that once its in my hands) and I'll be attaching my dangler to it right away.  I have my car door liner ready for the chin perimeter.

I have always used waxed skate lace to attach the dangler to my masks, however, with @stackem30 advice and considering that I will want to minimize how much of the paint job I want to conceal with the dangler hangers, I am thinking I want to use cord from here on out.

What types of cord do you think are best?  Is waxed cord available or needed?  Any tips on where to find good, quality, durable cord online?

I have some paracord around the house...just so happens in navy blue which would be perfect for my mask.  Would paracord be okay?

Paracord could work — it all depends on whether it fits through the holes in the dangler. 

This is usually the type of cord I use — you can find it in most hardware stores. From what I can tell, it's nothing less than what 90% of the NHL guys use. I know this is a rare thing to utter on a detail-obsessed board like this, but: I wouldn't overthink it!

I don't think you need waxed cord at all — I've never used it, and I have never, ever had my dangler become untied. If you tie good, tight knots, you should be fine. I'll also use a lighter to melt the tips of the cord (to keep it from fraying) and then use my fingers (I'm really tough/stupid) to 'forge' the two tips together. If you look at how I tie the knot in the picture below, you'll see what I mean by 'combining' the tips.

Safe, sturdy, clean, cheap, stylish! You can buy a length of that cord for a couple dollars, and it'll attach all the danglers you'll ever buy.

IMG_0314.thumb.jpg.0f5e405299a7f42d51290705aeaec8a3.jpg

I use 100% organic, authentic Himalayan yak hair woven cord, with a fermented yak milk coating.  Not only can't you beat the longevity, but the smell will keep snipers away from your crease.  Make sure you get the type woven by child labor, it's much tighter than the ones woven by people over 18.  

17 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I use 100% organic, authentic Himalayan yak hair woven cord, with a fermented yak milk coating.  Not only can't you beat the longevity, but the smell will keep snipers away from your crease.  Make sure you get the type woven by child labor, it's much tighter than the ones woven by people over 18.  

Dang.

I've always used the cord that comes with the dangler. Black so it doesn't show sweat stains. I've used the same Bauer cord for three years now. I prefer unwaxed because waxed tends to be stiffer and it's hard to shake loose if it gets caught in your mask harness. Just make sure to melt the ends if you cut them, because retying them with frayed ends is too difficult.

3 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I've always used the cord that comes with the dangler. Black so it doesn't show sweat stains. I've used the same Bauer cord for three years now. I prefer unwaxed because waxed tends to be stiffer and it's hard to shake loose if it gets caught in your mask harness. Just make sure to melt the ends if you cut them, because retying them with frayed ends is too difficult.

I prefer the stiffness of waxed laces, keeps the dangler from rattle around as much.

Anyways, I use orange laces, to match the orange highlights in my mask paint, so it's not so much "covering up" the art as it is a contributing accessory to the overall aesthetic.

14 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I prefer the stiffness of waxed laces, keeps the dangler from rattle around as much.

Anyways, I use orange laces, to match the orange highlights in my mask paint, so it's not so much "covering up" the art as it is a contributing accessory to the overall aesthetic.

Yes.  Precisely why I will use blue cord .   I have blue laces already but want to reduce the thickness of the hanger.

16 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

Be sure to post pictures once you've got it!

I will , indeed.  I have a whole detailed post planned about the entire process of seeking an artist, working with the designer, inspirations for what I wanted, timeframes, updates along the way, and lots and lots of photos. 

I saw the final pics just today and although it hadn't yet been assembled, it was clear coated, shiny, and amazing.  I'll get final assembled pics tomorrow morning and it'll ship to me tomorrow.  Once I have it in hand, I'll write my post.

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

I will , indeed.  I have a whole detailed post planned about the entire process of seeking an artist, working with the designer, inspirations for what I wanted, timeframes, updates along the way, and lots and lots of photos. 

I saw the final pics just today and although it hadn't yet been assembled, it was clear coated, shiny, and amazing.  I'll get final assembled pics tomorrow morning and it'll ship to me tomorrow.  Once I have it in hand, I'll write my post.

I was super lucky to find a (mostly) local artist for my helmet; dropped off and picked up by hand, face-to-face conversations, it made everything feel super easy.

16 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I was super lucky to find a (mostly) local artist for my helmet; dropped off and picked up by hand, face-to-face conversations, it made everything feel super easy.

Nice, that sounds ideal. Where are you?

I had to do some pretty deliberate searching and was in conversation with 4 or 5 artists, 3 of whom do NHL masks.  There were some logistics complications involved with working with artists in Canada, being in the US myself.  Other complications were with timing, as many of the artists I was in conversation with were booked out for a really long time, longer than I was comfotable with.  

It all came together with finding an artist in the US with a reasonable booking time.  Pretty pleased with how it all worked out, so far. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2019 at 3:33 AM, CJ Boiss said:

Agree with you, I also do prefer the stiffness. 

Archived