Do suspenders make chest protector floaters look smaller

Once I got my optik chest protector I put suspenders over the floaters and it pushed them down because I couldn’t move my head at all and I wanna move my floaters up higher so I look bigger and cover a bit more up high... any thoughts on the difference it will make?

edit: happy Easter!

Edited by Jonathon v

Suspenders will pull your floaters down, making it appear to shooters as though there  is more room above your shoulder. Having skated out for two decades, I can tell you that I've never noticed a difference between goalies that use suspenders to hold down their floaters and those that don't; it's a minuscule difference. Far more significant is the size of the goalie, and how far out of the net they're challenging to cut down the angles.

If you find yourself being consistently beaten over your shoulder I'd try tweaking my stance and positioning, holding my feet a little longer before dropping into a fly save, and challenging shooters a bit farther out.

I think you'll find the extra head mobility is well worth having smaller shoulders. Proper puck tracking will lead to way more saves than an extra inch of height on your shoulders.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Do NOT put suspenders on your floaters what the hell.... that defeats the whole purpose of them.  Get used to it man...it will take time but you will. 

Wut? 

That's like saying don't cinch down your belt because you lose coverage at your waist.

The miniscule difference shouldn't be considered over comfort. 

47 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Do NOT put suspenders on your floaters what the hell.... that defeats the whole purpose of them.  Get used to it man...it will take time but you will. 

Floaters are there to protect our shoulders, collarbone, and upper chest. If you want to stop pucks going over your shoulders then hold your feet longer, or challenge the angle more aggressively; that extra centimetre of height isn't ever going to be the difference maker, and it isn't something you should ever find yourself relying on.

Like I said, as a player I've never noticed which goalies have suspenders on their floaters and which don't. But I do notice when a goalie can't look behind his net because his shoulder floaters come up too high, and it makes it really easy to set up scoring plays. Wrappies, passes to the slot for a one-timer, hell banking it in off a leg that isn't sealed to the post because the tendy lost track of the puck. If you can't follow the puck in a scramble because your helmet keeps banging into your floaters, then you've got an issue that's ripe for exploitation.

Any half-ways skilled player will pick you apart if your ability to track and move with the puck is compromised because you're fighting your gear, so do what you need to make it as comfortable and responsive as possible. If wearing suspenders over your floaters does that for you then full steam ahead.

There are ways to put your suspenders ONTOP of your chesty like I do without it hindering your floaters, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that. You do NOT put it ontop of your damn floaters it will eat up inches on your coverage. If you have issues with your chesty it's not for you sorry...that's reality.  Picture for attention on how it should be worn. 

And YES floaters make a huge difference, and it stops plenty of pucks... that's why it's there and when worn properly you will notice especially on the shooters  picking corners. 

20190422_022745.jpg

Edited by mr_shifty1982

5 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

There are ways to put your suspenders ONTOP of your chesty like I do without it hindering your floaters, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that. You do NOT put it ontop of your damn floaters it will eat up inches on your coverage. If you have issues with your chesty it's not for you sorry...that's reality.  Picture for attention on how it should be worn. 

And YES floaters make a huge difference, and it stops plenty of pucks... that's why it's there and when worn properly you will notice especially on the shooters  picking corners. 

20190422_022745.jpg

There are plenty of other NHL goaltenders who put their suspenders over their floaters who are still in the playoffs, at least for the moment ;)  Mrazek as a example.  It's all personal preference.  My .02

6 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

20190422_022745.jpg

A little elastic strap over your floater is not going to eat up inches of coverage; certainly not off of a chestie like Price is wearing, the floaters are already snug to the top of his shoulder.

25 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

A little elastic strap over your floater is not going to eat up inches of coverage; certainly not off of a chestie like Price is wearing, the floaters are already snug to the top of his shoulder.

I am thinking the floaters on a pro CA are pretty well fixed per the rules...

Fixing my floaters changed my life- better visibility, no interference with my mask. I also found the Brian’s floaters to be gigantic and more of a hindrance. In fact- my Brian’s is NOT stock at all with Warrior floaters and Factory Mad modded arms. 

(I could have saved some $$$ had I just waited for another Warrior to go on sale... Oops!)

7 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

That picture isn't a great example. Those floaters would barely move if he put his suspenders on top of them. Price doesn't put them on the floaters mostly to keep them secure so they don't slide off.

Same thing is accomplished with "Mrazek straps" (shoulder floater straps). There are ton of goalies in the show, juniors and beer leagues that do this. It's a comfort thing.

You telling goalies that they're not allowed to do this due to the 1/4" of coverage they lose is the same as telling goalies weather or not they're allowed to tuck their C/A or how the need to wear their leg pads. Are you going to blast goalies because their leg pads aren't loose enough to hang off their legs a bit and get that extra coverage?

Nah man. That's crazy.

Being comfortable and trusting your gear will ALWAYS trump minor amounts of coverage.

Telling guys they're wearing their gear wrong when it doesn't compromise their safety is just flat out wrong. I'm sorry, that's just reality. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

20190422_022745.jpg

The only way the added coverage you get from an unrestrained floater to stop guys from regularly picking the corners, is if you have a viciously illegal chesty - the rest of us use our gloves.

And BTW @mr_shifty1982, try to lose the attitude: the OP asked a legit questions, no need to go all "WWE" on him

1 hour ago, Colander said:

The only way the added coverage you get from an unrestrained floater to stop guys from regularly picking the corners, is if you have a viciously illegal chesty - the rest of us use our gloves.

And BTW @mr_shifty1982, try to lose the attitude: the OP asked a legit questions, no need to go all "WWE" on him

Gave my opinions, I'm straight forward... I'm no wwe wrestler. if you don't like it, that's for you to deal with. 

If my chesty gives ne an extra few inches of coverage with my floaters my suspenders aren't going over it bottom line. Others can do as they please, I wouldn't recommend it.  After all we are in net to stop pucks, why would anyone want to lose coverage? Either way...

We can move on now. 

8 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Gave my opinions, I'm straight forward... I'm no wwe wrestler. if you don't like it, that's for you to deal with.

There's a difference between giving an opinion:

"I don't think you should put your straps on your floaters as it can potentially eat coverage"

And stating an opinion as fact:

" You do NOT put it ontop of your damn floaters it will eat up inches on your coverage. If you have issues with your chesty it's not for you sorry...that's reality"

The guy was asking a pretty genuine question and your opinion on the matter isn't invalid (though it's factually incorrect), but there are much better ways at conveying your stance than how you initially went about it. I get being unapologetic for your opinions or comments on an online forum, but c'mon man. Why so aggressive about straps on floaters? Seems really odd thing to be angry about.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

"I don't think you should put your straps on your floaters as it can potentially eat coverage"

" You do NOT put it ontop of your damn floaters it will eat up inches on your coverage. If you have issues with your chesty it's not for you sorry...that's reality"

The guy was asking a pretty genuine question and your opinion on the matter isn't invalid (though it's factually incorrect), but there are much better ways at conveying your stance than how you initially went about it. I get being unapologetic for your opinions or comments on an online forum, but c'mon man. Why so aggressive about straps on floaters? Seems really odd thing to be angry about.

Because it's pretty stupid in my opinions and useless, services no purpose, the same way some guys are double jocking 😐🤔

But hey like I said, others can do as they please. Whatever feels "comfortable ". Perhaps individuals should do more homework on the equipment they buy, what works for them and not the guy next door. 

Its slso clear that @Jonathon v has an issue with this... that he feels that these suspenders are pushing down his floaters making him feel restrictedup high. It's in black and white, pretty much told him that he shouldn't due that if he doesn't want that happening. Perhaps that's not the chesty for him, or maybe he needs to get used to it...I don't know, hopefully he figures it out.  We are talking about a $700 chesty here, it's not cheap. He needs a solution, "make a glove save" "stand tall" isn't tla solution. 

I don't need to go back and forth on this, it's self explanatory. 

Ciao. 

Edited by mr_shifty1982

@mr_shifty1982 I see you're struggling to juggle your "I'm angry about this because it's stupid and useless!" and "Hey man, I don't care, whatever works for you! : )" personas... probably because you're talking out of the opposite sides of your mouth. Either commit to the notion that those who disagree with you are wrong and ignorant, or go with that "being a reasonable, easy-going guy" act, because you clearly can't do both with any credibility. If "whatever feels comfortable" and "others can do as they please" are acceptable trains of thought, then it's a waste of your time to rant about how wrong you think others are, isn't it?

There's a difference between being a straight shooter and stating your opinions to help people, and just being an argumentative prick on the internet. You may not be able to tell the difference, but others can...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Sorry I didn’t mean to cause all this fighting 

• Like 1

@Jonathon v: No problem with your question. I am just trying to maintain the idea that there are no “dumb questions”

@mr_shifty1982

: Here's the thing - there’s a saying that goes “don’t shoot me I’m only the messenger”. It sounds great, so people accept it as being right. I’ve been around long enough to know that it’s not really correct though. A lot of the times as the messenger, you can go a long way to making a bad situation better (I’ve learned this on many levels) - that's all I'm saying.

No one does it better than this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6H1OFTmyA

• Like 1